Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 12:28 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,280,905 times

Advertisements

How Tacky has been gone for a while now--probably the closest equivalent on J Street is Thunderhorse Vintage, which specializes in 1980s retro:

Thunderhorse Vintage (Marilyn Jen Ayres) | MySpace

There isn't really a present-day novelty/gag-gift shop in Midtown like "How Tacky" was--Wishing Well went out of business, although Evangeline's is still going strong in Old Sacramento. The early 21st century equivalent is perhaps Dragatomi, a designer-toy store that carries Kid Robot type stuff:
http://www.yelp.com/biz/dragatomi-sacramento

Cheap Thrills is still around, although they moved a couple of doors down and the old since-1969 location is currently being turned into a restaurant. Local musician Mike Farrell (of Daisy Spot and the Losin' Streaks) still works there, he is another local legend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2010, 01:02 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
How Tacky has been gone for a while now--probably the closest equivalent on J Street is Thunderhorse Vintage, which specializes in 1980s retro:

Thunderhorse Vintage (Marilyn Jen Ayres) | MySpace

There isn't really a present-day novelty/gag-gift shop in Midtown like "How Tacky" was--Wishing Well went out of business, although Evangeline's is still going strong in Old Sacramento. The early 21st century equivalent is perhaps Dragatomi, a designer-toy store that carries Kid Robot type stuff:
Dragatomi - Midtown - Sacramento, CA

Cheap Thrills is still around, although they moved a couple of doors down and the old since-1969 location is currently being turned into a restaurant. Local musician Mike Farrell (of Daisy Spot and the Losin' Streaks) still works there, he is another local legend.
Wishing Well on 9th is gone and on Madison as well? Where are the state workers supposed to shop for holidays, birthdays, wedding and baby showers and retirement parties? If true, that's really sad!

Old 05-22-2010, 01:58 PM

Yes, the whole chain went out of business. Apparently we are now expected to commute out into the suburbs to shop at Michael's and Wal-Mart at the ever-so-convenient power centers in order to find party supplies. For those of us who walked over to Wishing Well for spiffy inexpensive home decor, we're out of luck.

Old 05-22-2010, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
Yes, the whole chain went out of business. Apparently we are now expected to commute out into the suburbs to shop at Michael's and Wal-Mart at the ever-so-convenient power centers in order to find party supplies. For those of us who walked over to Wishing Well for spiffy inexpensive home decor, we're out of luck.
Glad we left! It was merely two or threee blocks from my office at the Bateson Building. Guess another local purveyor fell prey to Furlough Fridays!

Old 05-22-2010, 05:15 PM

No, at least from accounts I have heard and read, it was more of a long-term problem due to competition by larger operations like Michael's and Wal-Mart, not solely a result of Furlough Fridays.

Lest you get the impression that Midtown is folding up shop, for every place that closes, another seems to be opening up--the central city is more busy more often than I have ever seen it. Some stores close, that's just the nature of business, but other opportunities appear and new places open. Rents are dropping, not to pre dot-com boom levels but to a point where Midtown is becoming relatively affordable to students and entry-level workers again, which will hopefully limit some of the exodus of musicians and artist freaks to cheaper neighborhoods like Oak Park. Some laid-off folks, frustrated with trying to find another job in the corporate world, are taking the chance to go into business while rents are cheap. A lot of places that were run-down or semi-abandoned for years are getting repaired and reinhabited, seemingly faceless office buildings are sprouting storefronts, new restaurants and theaters and music venues and even bookstores are opening up.

I realize you take considerable schadenfreude in hearing bad news from Sacramento, Curmudgeon, but from where I'm sitting you left just before the best part.

Old 05-22-2010, 05:33 PM

[quote=wburg;14293105]No, at least from accounts I have heard and read, it was more of a long-term problem due to competition by larger operations like Michael's and Wal-Mart, not solely a result of Furlough Fridays.

Lest you get the impression that Midtown is folding up shop, for every place that closes, another seems to be opening up--the central city is more busy more often than I have ever seen it. Some stores close, that's just the nature of business, but other opportunities appear and new places open. Rents are dropping, not to pre dot-com boom levels but to a point where Midtown is becoming relatively affordable to students and entry-level workers again, which will hopefully limit some of the exodus of musicians and artist freaks to cheaper neighborhoods like Oak Park. Some laid-off folks, frustrated with trying to find another job in the corporate world, are taking the chance to go into business while rents are cheap. A lot of places that were run-down or semi-abandoned for years are getting repaired and reinhabited, seemingly faceless office buildings are sprouting storefronts, new restaurants and theaters and music venues and even bookstores are opening up.

I realize you take considerable schadenfreude in hearing bad news from Sacramento, Curmudgeon, but from where I'm sitting you left just before the best part.[/QUOTE]

Not at all, wburg, and I'm glad to hear it. There were a large number of downtown/midtown merchants and restauranteurs who knew us well and were most welcoming as we patronized them for many years. In fact, one of my daughters was the first assistant manager at the R Street Safeway before getting her own store. Everyone there and at Peet's, at least up until about eight months ago, knew us.

We'll be back for a visit shortly after the first of the year and I sincerely hope that it's as you say -- coming back. It was my home for almost 20 years. I wish it no ill.

Old 05-22-2010, 06:28 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,700,878 times
Ahhhhhhh Mr Mike Farrell. I was at Cheap Thrills in Oct looking for vintage clothing for a costume and saw him there - and I was like "He's STILL here??"

He's the high school best friend of my ex. Who I believe was his band's (and many Sacramento bands) manager. When we were together we were often seen at many venues around. Old Ironsides etc. Or over at Brian Wheat's house on J st having a BBQ.

Most people who do recognize me from those days give me a double take with that "I know I know her from somewhere" look.

Mike did that when I was at Cheap Thrills. It happens.

Old 05-23-2010, 02:43 PM

219 posts, read 623,925 times
Wburg, are you a writer of some kind? You are very descriptive.

Old 05-23-2010, 05:04 PM

Yeah, I write for Midtown Monthly (the magazine I mentioned upthread) and write books on Sacramento history.

Old 05-23-2010, 08:35 PM

219 posts, read 623,925 times
Awesome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento