Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 09:48 PM

219 posts, read 624,365 times

Advertisements

Hello Everybody. I have been hearing a lot of good things about Midtown. But I was wanting to know some details. What are the prices like, there? How safe of an area is it, compared with other areas in Sac? Is it better to find a house/duplex to rent, or an apartment? What kind of atmostphere does it have? Also-- what about East Sac? That is the area right by Midtown, right? Any thoughts or facts about that part of town? Any little bit of info is Greatly appreciated. Thank you everybody! ! ! : (
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2010, 07:56 AM

3,176 posts, read 14,710,216 times
My studio apartment in the heart of Midtown at I and 22nd, is going for $600. Everything in midtown is kitchy - so your apartment may be a converted old victorian. Not many duplexes but some. And the homes are nice, but I'd say I usually see them around $1800 for rent. And no aparment like people think, they aren't new complexes, no garages and sometimes no parking.

East Sac is less Kitchy, but a lovely gorgeous area to live. Houses are smaller but expensive. It is more like suburbs with home owners and people who make alot of money. Some apartments here and there - but not many.

Old 05-21-2010, 10:01 AM

Cool, thank you! What do you mean by kitchy?

Old 05-21-2010, 06:08 PM

8,674 posts, read 17,301,679 times
I assume she means "charming." Midtown is a neighborhood mostly consisting of beautiful historic homes, most recently remodeled but some still kind of falling apart, and funky, somewhat-cheap mid-century "dingbat" apartments, and a handful of new mid-rise condos and lofts. The people you're likely to see are state workers and professionals (during work hours, plus in the higher-end restaurants and wine bars), retirees, college students, hipsters on fixies, homeless people pushing shopping carts, same-sex couples holding hands, gutterpunks, artists, skateboarders, and even a few young kids. Midtown is also the neighborhood where there are a lot of little independent boutiques, cafes, bars and nightclubs, and art galleries. Now, you can find all of these elsewhere in the region, but Midtown has more of them in a smaller space, and intermixed with the housing instead of broadly separated uses. However, Midtown Sacramento doesn't have the high-energy, fast-paced vibe of Chicago or New York, or the trendy, competitive atmosphere of Los Angeles, or the sheer "be jealous of our awesomeness" egotism of San Francisco. It's a city, but in a more easygoing way.

But mostly, I'd imagine she's talking about the pretty buildings.

Old 05-21-2010, 07:10 PM

No - the people, the shops, the houses & the "Feel" - Kitschy, you know it's a funky kind of hip. (I spelled it a bit wrong pardon)

Kitsch - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://www.kitschykitschycool.com/images/logo.jpg (broken link)

Old 05-21-2010, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Kitsch: an art that is considered an inferior, tasteless copy of an extant style of art or a worthless imitation of art of recognized value
(makes sad face) Maybe you're just using a different definition of the word than Wikipedia is...

An even more obscure term I have seen tossed about is "janky," to the point where I have seen "Keep Midtown Janky" bumper stickers here and there.

Old 05-21-2010, 08:01 PM

Well I didn't read it very well did I...because I definitely would not have thought tasteless!

Pretty funny, most online resources are saying the same. And yet I would have said "funky" more than "tacky"

Which reminds me....remember "How Tacky"? I loved that store.

Old 05-21-2010, 08:33 PM

Wburg... wow... your post was amazing. As I read it I felt like I was there. I can't wait to see it. Thanks! And thank you too Citygirl.

Old 05-22-2010, 11:55 AM

For even more information, check out Midtown's own magazine, Midtown Monthly:

Midtown Monthly

CityGirl, if you haven't read it already, you may appreciate the in-depth interview with Midtown icon Ground Chuck.

Old 05-22-2010, 12:16 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,509,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl72 View Post
Well I didn't read it very well did I...because I definitely would not have thought tasteless!

Pretty funny, most online resources are saying the same. And yet I would have said "funky" more than "tacky"

Which reminds me....remember "How Tacky"? I loved that store.
We remember "How Tacky." That was fun, funky place!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento