Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 02:22 PM

61 posts, read 244,633 times

Advertisements

Hi All,
I've been back in Sacramento for almost a year now (grew up near here, then moved to NYC for 12 years), and I'm a little disturbed by all the shootings that I see on the news. It seems like a read about a few shootings a month, and not even necessarily in the really bad areas. I like Sacramento, but for it's population, doesn't it seem like there is a lot of violent crime? Any thoughts? BTW, there were two in the last 24 hours!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2010, 02:48 PM

2,511 posts, read 6,301,562 times
Take a look at who is shooting who. After a very short while you will see a pattern, and a few profiles, which are common across the country.

That should answer your question.

Old 09-12-2010, 02:54 PM

2,963 posts, read 6,264,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC6ZLV View Post
Take a look at who is shooting who. After a very short while you will see a pattern, and a few profiles, which are common across the country.

That should answer your question.

Old 09-12-2010, 03:02 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,492,286 times
Well, the good news is that the murder rate has been in decline. There were 44 murders in 2007, 49 murders in 2008 and 'only' 30 in 2009. Aggravated assaults, which would include shootings not resulting in death, have also gone down significantly over the last few years, from 2,881 in 2007 to 2,632 in 2008 and down to 2,352 in 2009. That's still a lot of very violent crime but the trend has been downward except for reported rape which increased a bit in 2009.

City-Wide Crime Statistics and Databases - Sacramento Police Department

It remains to be seen what 2010 will tally out like considering the economy's impact on law enforcement in terms of resources and lawlessness. Let's hope the downward trend continues regardless.

Old 09-12-2010, 04:28 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,289,625 times
We have an absurdly low ratio of police to population. As KC6ZLV alludes, it is mostly gang-on-gang crime, but events like last night's shooting in Midtown, generally not considered a dangerous or crime-infested area, it makes waves.

Generally, violent crime is going down in a nationwide trend. But our PERCEPTION of crime has gone way, way, way up. Crime makes people watch the news, so the news tends to lead with crime. Because news is now nationwide, people get scared about killings that occurred on the other side of the continent. And now we can spread the word so fast via social media that the potential for the "Telephone Game" style exaggeration has reached new heights.

Old 09-12-2010, 11:09 PM

457 posts, read 1,182,819 times
Talk to cops about the people involved in violent crimes. I'd be willing to bet most people who commit such acts have history in the same category and were slapped on the wrist. It's all a big joke, a scary one at that.

The fact I frequent the midtown area usually around that time makes me think twice but usually I avoid groups of people that look like they partake in that lifestyle. The shootings or crimes with innocent people are the ones that really make you think. The Pharmacy robbery is the most recent one I can think of.

I have no sympathy for a person who chooses the criminal life but do for a "real" victim (as I portray).

Old 09-13-2010, 12:50 AM

2,511 posts, read 6,301,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
We have an absurdly low ratio of police to population.
I was talking to the detective assigned to my case when I was robbed last month. It isn't so much the police to population ratio, but the numerous, and she stressed NUMEROUS law enforcement organizations in the area. Many of which aren't able to interface electronically. Communication between Citrus Heights and SacPD isn't much better than fax/phone/email. Each agency has to routinely attempt communication with Sac Co Sheriff. Then there is Elk Grove, West Sacramento, Rancho Cordova, CHP, and Folsom.

It can turn out to be a lot of paperwork the day after a drive by shooting in Meadowview and the vehicle is registered in Citrus Heights.

Old 09-13-2010, 04:04 AM

67 posts, read 208,902 times
Is Burney near here? Anyone know what it is like?

Old 09-13-2010, 01:57 PM

1,354 posts, read 6,379,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charleecrat View Post
Is Burney near here? Anyone know what it is like?
Burney is about 4 hours from Sacramento in the eastern part of Shasta County. Its a very small town.

Old 09-13-2010, 06:03 PM

762 posts, read 2,031,588 times
PG and E community, logging area, beautiful rural area closest city is Redding. Not a lot of shootings in Burney! Sac, yep. Find me a metro area that does not experience violent crime, please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento