U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 12:02 PM

17 posts, read 23,878 times

Advertisements

Hi, I will be moving to Sacramento soon. It is always useful to know about some good less expensive eateries in town. For those of you living in the area, maybe you can list some of your favorites for my family and me to try out sometime soon.

Thanks in advance!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2010, 01:09 PM

8,376 posts, read 15,227,507 times
What part of town? Cheap eats aren't that cheap if they require a 20 mile round trip to visit.

Old 05-28-2010, 05:27 PM

17 posts, read 23,878 times
What part?...sorry, I was not more clear. I would be frequenting spots around the inner city near downtown, midtown...and east sacramento. Any favorite cheap eateries within 4 miles of the downtown central district.

Old 05-28-2010, 06:02 PM

Okay then...Los Jarritos (Broadway and 26th), Capitol Park Cafe (and the even cheaper soup & salad bar place next door) 10th & L, LOB Cafe (inside Legislative Office Building, 11th & N), June's Cafe (banh mi and pho) 10th & J, Gam Lei Sig (chinese) S and 10th, Tea Cup 21st and P, Chita's 21st and Q, Los Patios 6th and O (in main tower of Capitol Towers), Cilantro (5th and J), Italian Importing (sandwiches & deli) 19th & J, Pieces (pizza by the slice) on 21st and Capitol, Bon Air (sandwiches & deli) 26th & J, this new Pakistani place at L and 7th whose name I forget...for starters. In East Sac, there is a little taco stand that probably used to be a "Fotomat" on Folsom and 51st, and a bagel place around 50th & H, and a burger stand at 56th and J that's pretty decent but I don't know the name, La Favorita on Alhambra & K, Mayflower on Alhambra & Folsom, Coffeeworks on Folsom and 33rd, Burr's Fountain on Folsom and 50th, Giovanni's Pizza on Folsom around 60th.

Old 05-28-2010, 06:41 PM

23,601 posts, read 33,046,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
Okay then...Los Jarritos (Broadway and 26th), Capitol Park Cafe (and the even cheaper soup & salad bar place next door) 10th & L, LOB Cafe (inside Legislative Office Building, 11th & N), June's Cafe (banh mi and pho) 10th & J, Gam Lei Sig (chinese) S and 10th, Tea Cup 21st and P, Chita's 21st and Q, Los Patios 6th and O (in main tower of Capitol Towers), Cilantro (5th and J), Italian Importing (sandwiches & deli) 19th & J, Pieces (pizza by the slice) on 21st and Capitol, Bon Air (sandwiches & deli) 26th & J, this new Pakistani place at L and 7th whose name I forget...for starters. In East Sac, there is a little taco stand that probably used to be a "Fotomat" on Folsom and 51st, and a bagel place around 50th & H, and a burger stand at 56th and J that's pretty decent but I don't know the name, La Favorita on Alhambra & K, Mayflower on Alhambra & Folsom, Coffeeworks on Folsom and 33rd, Burr's Fountain on Folsom and 50th, Giovanni's Pizza on Folsom around 60th.
And reasonably priced and very good are Sampino's Italian Market and Deli on 16th and F (great meat counter as well), Taka's Ju Hatchi at 18th and S, and Momiji at 14th and G. Capitol Tea Garden at 11th and T for decent dim sum at a good price. Lots of possibilities.

Old 05-29-2010, 10:54 AM

The Chinese market around the corner from Capitol Tea Garden on 11th also has a great lunch special, I can never remember the name, but it's a great deal. Taka's has a great sit-down lunch combo. Megami Bento-Ya on 10th and J is another great Japanese place--sadly, the best Japanese lunch deal in town, Ricksha, recently went out of business.

And if you get up early--try the Market Club. Off 5th Street south of Broadway inside the farmer's market complex. They normally close by 11 AM and serve mostly breakfasts, but totally worth it. The other great, semi-secret Southside place is June's on V and 10th--only open between 10 and 2 on weekdays, often closed at random intervals, but generally a fantastic little place. Nearby (10th between V and W) is a great little Japanese bakery called Osaka-ya. On hot days in summer they have Japanese shaved ice (with or without mochi ice cream in the middle) that totally hits the spot.

Osaka-ya Home Page (http://stores.homestead.com/Osakaya/StoreFront.bok - broken link)

Old 05-29-2010, 01:52 PM

Ricksha's out of business? That's been there forever. The Japanese market across the street has decent bento type meals available on Friday and Saturday and the Chinese market around the corner from Capital Tea Garden also sells whole Peking ducks. Yummy! I never remembered their name either.

Old 05-29-2010, 02:42 PM

The Japanese market (Osaka-ya) is still there, but the Japanese/Chinese restaurant on that side of the street upstairs is gone--apparently they were told they needed an elevator for ADA compliance, and couldn't afford one. Sad--they were really good and outrageously cheap. With the loss of Ouye's Pharmacy, the bits of Sacramento's last Japantown (after their displacement from the West End) are becoming very scarce, although Southside still has a very strong Asian population and character.

Old 05-29-2010, 04:14 PM

I'm truly sorry to hear that. A bit more character circles then disappears down the drain!

Old 06-01-2010, 08:51 AM

2,404 posts, read 3,909,491 times
King's in East Sac is always a good place for Dim Sum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or