Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 03:41 PM

2,511 posts, read 6,295,937 times

Advertisements

That hasn't been my experience with Craigslist over the last year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 04:44 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,274,555 times
Sacramento has definitely reached the point where it's quite definitely hot. Beautifully, scorchingly, wonderfully hot, but with a bit of breeze and low humidity so in the shade it's still pretty comfortable for short jaunts while lightly dressed and daubed with sunscreen. Went to the zoo, where the animals were sensibly lounging in what shade they could find. Then we went to Lalo's Kitchen, an amazingly good taqueria in a non-descript strip mall with a fresh Nortenos tag near the entrance, and had a lunch (the "molcajete") so good I can scarcely believe it. A fine, hot, Sacramento summer day.

Lalo's Restaurant - Sacramento, CA

Old 06-28-2010, 10:09 PM

402 posts, read 1,020,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
Sacramento has definitely reached the point where it's quite definitely hot. Beautifully, scorchingly, wonderfully hot, but with a bit of breeze and low humidity so in the shade it's still pretty comfortable for short jaunts while lightly dressed and daubed with sunscreen. Went to the zoo, where the animals were sensibly lounging in what shade they could find. Then we went to Lalo's Kitchen, an amazingly good taqueria in a non-descript strip mall with a fresh Nortenos tag near the entrance, and had a lunch (the "molcajete") so good I can scarcely believe it. A fine, hot, Sacramento summer day.

Lalo's Restaurant - Sacramento, CA
Strangely enough, I have adjusted to the heat and it did not even feel hot to me today, but I listed to all the long time residents complain! I asked the question 3 or 4 times today at work, "didn't you say you grew up here?"

Although I feel I've adjusted to it, I've finally put my finger on why this place always feels hotter than other places to me; it's the air quality. I don't know about other people, but I can not breathe here. The air feels stale and suffocating, and there is no condensation in the air that does blow through. I figured that out this weekend after heading over to San Fran for a jog. After 3 miles I felt I could go another 2. Next day back in Sacramento I was winded after a mile and a half, and I am used to jogging everyday.

It was a great day though today. Another 100 degrees tomorrow.

Old 06-28-2010, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casportsfan View Post
Strangely enough, I have adjusted to the heat and it did not even feel hot to me today, but I listed to all the long time residents complain! I asked the question 3 or 4 times today at work, "didn't you say you grew up here?"

Although I feel I've adjusted to it, I've finally put my finger on why this place always feels hotter than other places to me; it's the air quality. I don't know about other people, but I can not breathe here. The air feels stale and suffocating, and there is no condensation in the air that does blow through. I figured that out this weekend after heading over to San Fran for a jog. After 3 miles I felt I could go another 2. Next day back in Sacramento I was winded after a mile and a half, and I am used to jogging everyday.

It was a great day though today. Another 100 degrees tomorrow.
Air quality wasn't that bad yesterday. Ozone was moderate (except in Folsom), but not enough where a healthy person should notice it. PM was low.

You feel out of breath in the heat because you the same volume of air expands into a larger area when the temperature is up there.

Old 06-29-2010, 07:00 PM

402 posts, read 1,020,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC6ZLV View Post
Air quality wasn't that bad yesterday. Ozone was moderate (except in Folsom), but not enough where a healthy person should notice it. PM was low.

You feel out of breath in the heat because you the same volume of air expands into a larger area when the temperature is up there.
No, I feel out of breath here because the air quality sucks. I have trouble breathing here even when I am not working out, and the problem clears up noticeabley within a day or two after I leave the valley. I've ran in 100 degree heat in other areas and had double days in football in similar temperatures and never had the same problems breathing. Sacramento rates in the top 10 worst in the nation in terms of both smog and particulate matter; it may have some days that are better than others, but as a whole the air quality here is terrible.

The particulate matter and pollen is what kills me here. I've developed allergies, had sinus infections, and a lung infenction all in the 3 years since I moved here. Never had any of those problems in any other area. Never had an allergic reaction in my entire life or developed a sinus or lung infection. I'm not really up to debating whether those health problems were caused by the air here or not, because even ignoring the scientific facts regarding the air quality here, I can feel the change once I get into relative proximity of this area. I'd have known it even if no one had ever told me.

Please accept that fact the air quality is bad here, there's really no need to debate it. Try to focus on the fact that I said the weather was good otherwise. I'm enjoying todays' weather as well.

Old 07-06-2010, 01:32 AM

1 posts, read 2,057 times
Default Sacramento

Sacramento is full of variety and there is no city like it in California. It is only an hour an a half from San Francisco and just about the same from the Snow and Reno. This city is very affordable to have about 3 mil in the area and close to everything. Regarding your question about where is the hills in Sacramento? I will help you out. I can tell you have not lived in Sacramento long enough to really know it. Take I-5 and exit Sutterville Rd. Go East until you get to South Land Park Drive. Make a Sharp Right on So. Land Park Drive and the whole community you will enter is all on hills. If you want to see the Sacramento Skyline just go to our Surburbs (in the hills) such as Rocklin. From Rocklin, Ca drive SW down Sierra Collage Blvd and You will see the Skyline. From Folsom, CA if you drive southbound down Iron Point Rd you can also see the Skyline. Sounds like the people heading to South Lake Tahoe is enjoying the variety the Sacramento Area offers.

Quote:
Please tell me where the hills are then in this city or even guide me to a mild grade. Go ahead and list an actually location I can drive to to prove your point. I actually LIVE here and have up and down and around the entire city and explored almost every bit of it in my 3+ years here. Yes, it's FLAT. ALL OF IT. That's why you can see the city skyline from 15 miles away as you drive in from the west, and 35 miles away as you drive in from the East

"Major cities are on flat areas" . . . . Portland, Pittsburgh, Seattle, San Francisco, San Diego are NOT flat. I could name more but that's a waste of time.

Trust me. I live here. It's FLAT. I notice that you don't fly up from Florida to go to Sacramento either, but to go to Tahoe. Hmmmmm . . . . .

And for the record: Tahoe, NOT flat. Strange that it's noted for it's beauty as well isn't it.

Old 07-06-2010, 11:13 PM

Actually, there is a about a 20 ft increase in elevation just east of S Land Park Dr in the vicinity of Blair Ln. It appears to be a rounded bluff where the Sacramento River eroded the area to the west.

Historically, flat locations were favoured for development and flat land was the most expensive real estate. It is easier to build on flat land, move things, and bring utilities to areas on flat land. With the exception of several locations where there was limited flat land available, development followed the flattest areas. This pattern is evident in the Bay Area where development followed the flat areas around the Bay. Oakland, Hayward, Fremont, and San Jose are perfect examples of this. It wasn't until they ran out of flat places to build on, and transportation made it convenient enough to live on hillsides, was there any significant development in the hills around the Bay.

Many of the steepest neighbourhoods in San Francisco were originally built and settled by people who didn't have the money to live in the flatter areas of San Francisco, which was favoured by 1) commercial activity, and 2) too expensive because the people who had the highest paying jobs lived within a very short distance of where they worked. Potrero Hill is a good example. Nobody wanted to live there until the Russian immigrants built a neighbourhood up there on very cheap land, because it was steep.

Living someplace with a view is seen as status today. I'll agree there are some areas with nice views, but I wouldn't pay what some people pay for real estate because it is on a hill, even if I had the money. I'll leave that to the people with more money than brains. I'm talking about the ones who spend $150 on a pair of sunglasses and drive a BMW because they think it means something to the rest of us.

Old 07-07-2010, 11:06 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,231,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC6ZLV View Post

This seems to be a very Sacramentan thing to say. Growing up in Sacto, I never really noticed the air quality save for occasionally noticing that you can sometimes see downtown coming down 80 from Auburn, and sometimes you cannot. It just seemed normal and not much to think about. When I moved to Minneapolis the air definitely seemed different, but I couldn't put my finger on it until I flew back to Sacto the first time. As the plane was on its approach, I saw the brown haze over the city. I met my mom at the airport, and she commented about he overcast. I had to tell her that overcast is not brown, that it was smog. She was just like, "Oh. Yeah. You're right." The way she said it gave me the impression that it did not register that the air might possibly not be good.

Quote:
No, I feel out of breath here because the air quality sucks. I have trouble breathing here even when I am not working out, and the problem clears up noticeabley within a day or two after I leave the valley. I've ran in 100 degree heat in other areas and had double days in football in similar temperatures and never had the same problems breathing. Sacramento rates in the top 10 worst in the nation in terms of both smog and particulate matter; it may have some days that are better than others, but as a whole the air quality here is terrible.

The particulate matter and pollen is what kills me here. I've developed allergies, had sinus infections, and a lung infenction all in the 3 years since I moved here. Never had any of those problems in any other area. Never had an allergic reaction in my entire life or developed a sinus or lung infection. I'm not really up to debating whether those health problems were caused by the air here or not, because even ignoring the scientific facts regarding the air quality here, I can feel the change once I get into relative proximity of this area. I'd have known it even if no one had ever told me.
Supposedly, people who never had an allergy will eventually develop one if they remain in California long enough.

I definitely do not get sick nearly as often as I did when I was still living in Sacto, and when I do, the bout seems to be of a shorter duration.

Quote:
Please accept that fact the air quality is bad here, there's really no need to debate it. Try to focus on the fact that I said the weather was good otherwise. I'm enjoying todays' weather as well.
I don't think that people who grew up here, or those that are long term residents, really realize it. Deep down they may know, but it seems to be a thought that may be of lesser importance to most. Everybody is too busy enjoying the great weather, I suppose.

Old 07-08-2010, 12:53 AM

4,576 posts, read 9,159,099 times
I think that is a good point, a lot of it is relative. If you are from the LA area or fresno or huston or something its not that noticable. I grew up in Chicago for 13 years and I never got asmtha but i did develope allergies thats for sure. Air quality really tends to suck when the temp gets in the upper 90's and when the tulare fog sits for days on end in the winter.

Thats part of the reason I am pro residential tower for central sac, get more people living near the corridor.

Old 07-08-2010, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
This seems to be a very Sacramentan thing to say. Growing up in Sacto, I never really noticed the air quality save for occasionally noticing that you can sometimes see downtown coming down 80 from Auburn, and sometimes you cannot. It just seemed normal and not much to think about. When I moved to Minneapolis the air definitely seemed different, but I couldn't put my finger on it until I flew back to Sacto the first time. As the plane was on its approach, I saw the brown haze over the city. I met my mom at the airport, and she commented about he overcast. I had to tell her that overcast is not brown, that it was smog. She was just like, "Oh. Yeah. You're right." The way she said it gave me the impression that it did not register that the air might possibly not be good.

Supposedly, people who never had an allergy will eventually develop one if they remain in California long enough.

I definitely do not get sick nearly as often as I did when I was still living in Sacto, and when I do, the bout seems to be of a shorter duration.

I don't think that people who grew up here, or those that are long term residents, really realize it. Deep down they may know, but it seems to be a thought that may be of lesser importance to most. Everybody is too busy enjoying the great weather, I suppose.
People from other areas exaggerate these things compulsively.

It is easy enough to check the air quality, and I did that. I'm really surprised someone from somewhere else didn't jump in and tell me I was wrong and want to argue about it. That seems to be the thing with transplants anywhere you go.

The Sacramento area, like most areas in California, and the West, has a problem with ozone. It is not unique to Sacramento, and about the only place to get away from it is the immediate coast. Visually, you can't always determine what is, and is not smog. Today's gray haze during the earlier part of the day was the result of higher humidity and cooler temperatures from the marine layer settling in, yet I heard someone make a comment about how smoggy it was this morning when what they were seeing was moisture scattering light. At any rate, both ozone and PM were very low in Sacramento today. Ozone was higher in South Placer because that is where everything usually blows towards, and it is warmer in that area than it is in Sacramento.

I guess my point is, yes we have our days with poor air quality, but if you were to read the posts by people from other areas you would think it was a chronic problem, and those days in between when you can see the snow on the peaks of the Sierra Nevada just outside South Lake Tahoe, well, that is an illusion. It is like the knuckleheads who want to make an argument that it is 105 everyday in the summer here, when the average number of days it reaches over 100 in a year is 11 days, and statistially, the average highest temperature over the course of a summer is 106. You can point people to these stats and they still want to argue, citing a day with a record high.

And for the days we have with poor air quality, and heat, I really don't think it affects the quality of life. I do a lot of things outside during hot days in the summer and haven't experienced the problems many other people state they have with the heat and the air. Perhaps they have a health problem they need to get diagnosed. The only thing I can think of where these people may be coming from is that I spend most of my time in and around Downtown and they may be living out in Roseville or Folsom. The Difference in air quality between Sacramento and Folsom is profound at times. It isn't unusual for Downtown to have low ozone while Folsom and Roseville have high ozone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento