Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2010, 11:02 AM

18 posts, read 66,815 times

Advertisements

Is there a trick to driving these one way streets? i mean are there certain streets that are always going left or right? i drove downtown the other day and was getting lost because i thought teh next street was a two way, then i find that i can only go left or right. kept going in circles lol. do like the even streets go left and odd right or anything liek that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2010, 11:53 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by italian31 View Post
Is there a trick to driving these one way streets? i mean are there certain streets that are always going left or right? i drove downtown the other day and was getting lost because i thought teh next street was a two way, then i find that i can only go left or right. kept going in circles lol. do like the even streets go left and odd right or anything liek that?
LOL! It's a mixed bag so the best trick is to watch the signs and eventually you'll know which streets run which ways. However, some streets are one-way then suddenly become two-way, and visa versa. Others abruptly end due to traffic calming and you have to turn one way or the other, or perhaps you can turn either way.

Watch out. When we left, some of the one-way streets were destined to become two-way streets and some with parallel curb parking were destined for angled parking; some of that back-in only.

Always an adventure!

Old 06-07-2010, 01:48 PM

88 posts, read 328,195 times
When I lived in Midtown back in the 90's I used to see cars driving the wrong way all the time...Even my girlfriend at the time was intimidated about driving around there so I told her a simple rule- If you're driving down the street and see cars parked on both sides of the street
facing towards you, then you are going the wrong way. That seemed to help!
After driving enough times in Midtown and Downtown, you'll eventually memorize which streets run which way. Until they change it again, LOL

Old 06-07-2010, 03:10 PM

2,511 posts, read 6,295,937 times
What is so hard about figured out if a street is one-way or not?

Old 06-07-2010, 04:55 PM

81 posts, read 292,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC6ZLV View Post
What is so hard about figured out if a street is one-way or not?
The signage isn't always clear and it can be difficult at night to tell. I see it happen once every few months, though usually the driver makes a quick u-turn.

Old 06-07-2010, 08:15 PM

2,511 posts, read 6,295,937 times
I see it happen all the time. Signs are clear. Furthermore, I've seen more than a few drive several blocks and not notice the words painted on the street are facing the wrong way, stop signs and traffic signals are facing the wrong way, and the cars on both sides of the street are parked facing the same direction.

Old 06-07-2010, 10:57 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,274,555 times
Once you have been downtown for a while you figure them out. There isn't really a system--they were placed in couplets to match the new freeway interchanges after highways like I-5 and 880 (now Business 80) and Hwy 50 came through. Basically, they work in couplets, one in and one out: I and J, L and N (because Capitol doesn't go through), P and Q, 3rd and 5th (because 4th doesn't go through), 7th and 8th (except where 7th hits Southside Park), 9th and 10th, 15th and 16th, and 19th and 21st, with 29th and 30th flanking Bus-80 and W and X flanking 50.

I realize that was probably completely unhelpful, but pretty much the best advice is be careful and look for the one-way signs until you know your way around.

Oh yeah, and don't drive on the K Street mall.

Old 06-08-2010, 09:07 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,696,911 times
When I lived there I always heard people say they even AVOIDED driving Midtown/Downtown because they got confused. I never was or have been confused. Even when I was brand new to town.
The signs were really clear.

But yes, I saw people go the wrong way.

I actually like the one ways, it made it FUN!

Old 06-09-2010, 07:33 PM

815 posts, read 2,698,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by italian31 View Post
Unfortunately, there is no real trick.
However, the more you drive around downtown/midtown, you'll have all the one way streets memorized. It'll just take some time and a lot of patience.
My advice is to approach every intersection with caution even if you have no stop sign.
Driving the grid can be also be a bit frustrating when you have to navigate your way through the "traffic calming" obstacle course in order to get from one end of downtown to the other.

Old 06-10-2010, 09:48 AM

323 posts, read 1,008,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityx View Post
Driving the grid can be also be a bit frustrating when you have to navigate your way through the "traffic calming" obstacle course in order to get from one end of downtown to the other.
Take J when going east and I when going west.

Problem solved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento