U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2010, 01:15 AM

4 posts, read 14,704 times

Advertisements

So I am moving to Salem, OR from Los Angeles, CA. I have never been a concrete jungle type. I am looking forward to some benefits of moving but of course have a few questions. I have scoured the forums but have only found a few answers that sum up my questions. So here are the ones that maybe some of you could help me out with. Any help is appreciated.

1. I am not worried about fitting in as I am respectful to all and not rude. Still it seems there is some resentment towards Californians. I am a white male and it seems from what I have read that a majority of the ethnicity is Mexican. This is fine by me as I get along with everyone, but my question is do people of the Mexican descent get along with Caucasians? I used to live in Santa Fe, NM and there was a lot of Mexican/Caucasian tension at times but everyone was respectful, is it the same in Salem?

2. I am going to be working in Oregon with the same company I am working with now. My question is if I obtain an Oregon drivers license and all of that to become a resident what happens if I lose my job? I hate to even think of this happening but it is better to know how to handle such a situation. Would I be eligible to collect unemployment in OR if I were working for my current company for lets say five months in OR and was let go a.k.a laid off. If so how long does OR state unemployment last? In California it is 6months I believe but have never had to file for it.

I am just worried that since I would be transferring from this job I have been at for two years that if I were to be laid off five months into my move would I collect from California or Oregon?

3. I will be living off of Ratcliff Dr. somewhat near Willamette University. Is this area a nice area? I looked at crime maps and it looks like it isn't too bad. Nothing like Los Angeles at all but personal stories are welcome.

4. I know there is no tax in Oregon but what does this non tax apply to? All goods or only certain goods and services?

5. Although no tax on items I have heard that income tax is higher in Oregon is this true at all? Having a hard time finding anything on income tax percentage.

6. I am 27 years old and in the IT field. I feel if I were to lose my job that commuting to another location towards Portland could net me a job fairly quickly as IT jobs seem abundant up there. What is the typical commute like from Salem to lets say Portland, Beaverton, or Hillsboro?

7. The weather. I do not mind rain one bit, in fact I love it as it seems to slow everyone down which is nice in my eyes. I get so tired of the mouse in a maze living. I really enjoy snowboarding. How far is it to reach a nice resort from Salem?

I thank you all for your time. I am sure I am forgetting things but I feel this would be a great start. Feel free to make replies short winded as I wouldn't expect long replies. If you would like to leave a large reply please feel free. I thank you for your time.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2010, 09:56 AM

640 posts, read 1,479,271 times
I'll answer as much as I can without misinforming you:

Quote:
Originally Posted by feldy1 View Post
So I am moving to Salem, OR from Los Angeles, CA. I have never been a concrete jungle type. I am looking forward to some benefits of moving but of course have a few questions. I have scoured the forums but have only found a few answers that sum up my questions. So here are the ones that maybe some of you could help me out with. Any help is appreciated.

1. I am not worried about fitting in as I am respectful to all and not rude. Still it seems there is some resentment towards Californians. I am a white male and it seems from what I have read that a majority of the ethnicity is Mexican. This is fine by me as I get along with everyone, but my question is do people of the Mexican descent get along with Caucasians? I used to live in Santa Fe, NM and there was a lot of Mexican/Caucasian tension at times but everyone was respectful, is it the same in Salem? Salem is 83%white, 14%hispanic -- coming from LA you'll think you're in Norway or something. I never felt any tension, but I moved away 15 years ago (it's probably changed a bit since then).

2. I am going to be working in Oregon with the same company I am working with now. My question is if I obtain an Oregon drivers license and all of that to become a resident what happens if I lose my job? I hate to even think of this happening but it is better to know how to handle such a situation. Would I be eligible to collect unemployment in OR if I were working for my current company for lets say five months in OR and was let go a.k.a laid off. If so how long does OR state unemployment last? In California it is 6months I believe but have never had to file for it.

I am just worried that since I would be transferring from this job I have been at for two years that if I were to be laid off five months into my move would I collect from California or Oregon? don't know

3. I will be living off of Ratcliff Dr. somewhat near Willamette University. Is this area a nice area? I looked at crime maps and it looks like it isn't too bad. Nothing like Los Angeles at all but personal stories are welcome. don't know

4. I know there is no tax in Oregon but what does this non tax apply to? All goods or only certain goods and services? No tax means no tax. Buy a car? no tax! Eat at a restaurant? no tax! get some new jeans? no tax!

5. Although no tax on items I have heard that income tax is higher in Oregon is this true at all? Having a hard time finding anything on income tax percentage. It depends on how much you make. For me and my husband (moving back to Oregon from California in 6 weeks) it'll be about the same because we've always made between $50K and $100K combined and both states tax about the same for that. If you make more or less than that you'll pay more in income tax by about 2-4% or so. *or, if you make anything over $7600 in Oregon your income tax is 9%. If you make between $47K and $100K in California your income tax is 9.3% (about $27k-$37k is 6%, about $17K-$27K is 6%, and so on..-in California) disclaimer: I am not a tax preparer.

6. I am 27 years old and in the IT field. I feel if I were to lose my job that commuting to another location towards Portland could net me a job fairly quickly as IT jobs seem abundant up there. What is the typical commute like from Salem to lets say Portland, Beaverton, or Hillsboro? You'd want to move. (Portland/Beaverton/Hillsboro is nicer than Salem anyway)

7. The weather. I do not mind rain one bit, in fact I love it as it seems to slow everyone down which is nice in my eyes. I get so tired of the mouse in a maze living. I really enjoy snowboarding. How far is it to reach a nice resort from Salem? Probably about 2.5 hours. and the coast is about an hour or less in the other direction. Nice!

I thank you all for your time. I am sure I am forgetting things but I feel this would be a great start. Feel free to make replies short winded as I wouldn't expect long replies. If you would like to leave a large reply please feel free. I thank you for your time.

Old 09-15-2010, 10:26 AM

14,713 posts, read 35,598,559 times
Quote:
. I will be living off of Ratcliff Dr. somewhat near Willamette University. Is this area a nice area? I looked at crime maps and it looks like it isn't too bad. Nothing like Los Angeles at all but personal stories are welcome.
Ratcliff isn't near Willamette University, by Oregon standards. Ratcliff is in the Morningside Neighborhood and it's fine. That neighborhood is very working class/middle class. It's a very average, normal neighborhood. Homes aren't anything spectacular, nor are they neglected. Just an older neighborhood. There is a Roth's grocery store just down the street and you are just off commercial which has pretty much everything you need.

Quote:
. I know there is no tax in Oregon but what does this non tax apply to? All goods or only certain goods and services?
Oregon has no sales tax. We have taxes though. There aren't any taxes on goods and services here.

Quote:
.. Although no tax on items I have heard that income tax is higher in Oregon is this true at all? Having a hard time finding anything on income tax percentage.
Expect to pay 9%

Quote:
. I am 27 years old and in the IT field. I feel if I were to lose my job that commuting to another location towards Portland could net me a job fairly quickly as IT jobs seem abundant up there. What is the typical commute like from Salem to lets say Portland, Beaverton, or Hillsboro?
I wouldn't anticipate getting an IT job in Portland quickly. There is massive competition for those jobs as Portland is considered a fairly desirable place to live for IT folks. Commuting to Beaverton and Hillsboro is not a viable commute and you should just move if that's where you end up. You can commute to southern parts of Portland, but again why? Just move.

I disagree with a roseintherain that Beaverton and Hillsboro are nicer than Salem, but I do agree that Portland is nicer in that it has more to offer. I lived in the Portland West Hills for 10 years and thought Beaverton and Hillsboro were kind of blah personally. They are stereotypical suburbs, which isn't my thing.

Quote:
. The weather. I do not mind rain one bit, in fact I love it as it seems to slow everyone down which is nice in my eyes. I get so tired of the mouse in a maze living. I really enjoy snowboarding. How far is it to reach a nice resort from Salem?
It takes about 3 hours to get to Mt. Bachelor to do some snowboarding. Hoodoo is a bit closer but Mt. Bachelor is better. You can also trek up to Mt. Hood which would be about the same.

Last edited by Silverfall; 09-15-2010 at 10:26 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 09-15-2010, 01:53 PM

Thank you so much for the replies, I really do appreciate that.

So lets review.

1. Don't worry about tension. Check

2. Still no answer on that. Anyone?

3. Ratcliff isn't a bad neighborhood by any means. Check

4. No tax means no tax. Check

5. Looks like I will be dishing out an extra 1% on income tax. Still the fact I won't be charged extra for everything under the sun will most likely balance all of that out. I look forward to paying for items without the tax! Seeing as California is 10% at least that is how I view it. 18,000 dollar car purchase equals 1,800 tax...ouch.

6. Move, don't commute. Still if I had to commute I think I could handle it just fine. Once you deal with Los Angeles commute and traffic I have a feeling a commute from Salem to Oregon would be a drop in the bucket. I am sure that IT jobs out there are hit hard with resumes but then again there is Intel, Netflix, Garmin, Nike, etc. A lot of large corporate companies are up there which is kind of cool. I would be a tad worried if I lost my job but I wouldn't think it would be the end of the world by any means. I feel i have the credentials and 8 years of experience in what I do so it shouldn't be horrible. If it is a tough time though that is why I need to get an answer for question #2.

7. Mt.Hood & Mt. Bachelor here I come! Check

Thanks again for the time you took out of yours days to reply. It really has helped quite a bit.

Old 09-15-2010, 03:13 PM

14,713 posts, read 35,598,559 times
Quote:

6. Move, don't commute. Still if I had to commute I think I could handle it just fine. Once you deal with Los Angeles commute and traffic I have a feeling a commute from Salem to Oregon would be a drop in the bucket. I am sure that IT jobs out there are hit hard with resumes but then again there is Intel, Netflix, Garmin, Nike, etc. A lot of large corporate companies are up there which is kind of cool. I would be a tad worried if I lost my job but I wouldn't think it would be the end of the world by any means. I feel i have the credentials and 8 years of experience in what I do so it shouldn't be horrible. If it is a tough time though that is why I need to get an answer for question #2.
What will happen is you will slow down to "Oregon speed" once you move here. I originally was from the Chicago area, the home of the 90 minute commute.

Only crazy people do that here because that is 3-4 hours you don't get to play outside. You'll understand when you get here, but Oregon runs at about 1/4 speed, Portland ups the ante to 1/2 speed, compared to the rest of the nation and it takes a couple of years living here to adjust to the slower pace of life here. Then once you do, you can't remember how you ran in the rat race for so long. You won't want to commute.

Old 09-15-2010, 03:24 PM

758 posts, read 2,179,017 times
Oh: Don't try to pump your own gas, and accept that it is a special thing about Oregon that you will appreciate when you are 75 and it's raining in December. Unless you're on a motorcycle; then you're allowed to do it ( no one wants to spill gas on a biker's tank).
And here are some new words: "Sunbreak" - the clouds part for a time; "Spendy," - expensive; "Pop," - soda.
And the thing about Californians is partly a joke, since only 50% of the population are native - born.

One thing you MAY be doing by moving to Oregon is taking part of your pay in scenery, and not advancing as quickly from a career standpoint, unless you're entreprenurial.

Old 09-15-2010, 03:59 PM

640 posts, read 1,479,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
What will happen is you will slow down to "Oregon speed" once you move here. I originally was from the Chicago area, the home of the 90 minute commute.

Only crazy people do that here because that is 3-4 hours you don't get to play outside. You'll understand when you get here, but Oregon runs at about 1/4 speed, Portland ups the ante to 1/2 speed, compared to the rest of the nation and it takes a couple of years living here to adjust to the slower pace of life here. Then once you do, you can't remember how you ran in the rat race for so long. You won't want to commute.
This is totally true! When I lived in Eugene I didn't want to work anyplace further than a 15 minute bike ride from my apartment...anything more was considered "commuting". Now that I've lived in California for a while and had an average commute time of about 45 minutes driving each way, I can't wait to get back to Oregon! I know that after a while living there, I won't want to drive more than 30 minutes at the absolute outside to get to work.

Old 09-15-2010, 06:35 PM

Sweet I don't have to pump my own gas? That is way cool.haha Hopefully they will hear me when I say I need premium in the tank.

Thanks for the vocabulary refresher. Spendy, I like that.

Well it seems you all agree about the commute but I really actually enjoy driving and if I had to it wouldn't be the end of the world.

Still need an answer to #2 but I guess I might just have to contact an office up there about it. How are the wait times for unemployment offices up there? Hopefully nothing like California.

Old 09-16-2010, 10:35 PM

Figured I would update this for anyone who was wondering about my question #2 above. Emailed Oregon's unemployment department. This was the reply I received and it makes perfect sense. Hope this helps anyone with the same question.

My email to them:
Hello. I have a quick question for you that I am sure you could clear up for me as I can find no information regarding it anywhere. Thank you.

I will be moving to Salem Oregon at the beginning of the year from California. I will be staying with my current company although I am moving. My questions is this. I have worked with this company for a year and a half in California, say I were to be let go once I was living in Salem after five months, what state would I collect unemployment with?

If I were to work in Salem for lets say 5months and be let go would I collect unemployment from California or Oregon? I do not plan on being let go but it is better to know how it will work if it ever happens.

Would I need to work in Salem for a designated time before I could collect unemployment from Oregon?

Thank you for your time and I very much look forward to your reply. Thank you.
__________________________________________________ ___________________________________

Their reply:
The state you file a claim against is determined by where you have worked in the 18 months prior to when you file the claim. If you work in more than 1 state during that period, you could have more than one option.

In your example, you work in California through December 2010 and in Oregon from January to May 2011. If you file a claim in June 2011, it would be based on wages paid in 2010...all in California in your example, so you would file a claim against California.

Tomas
UI Technician
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem