Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 05:55 PM

33 posts, read 127,887 times

Advertisements

There are plenty of people without cars enjoying life in Salem. We have zip cars and public transportation too when you need them. And if you live downtown, or just north or south of downtown, (like I do) you can walk or ride your bike the 0.6 miles to Amtrak and go anywhere a train or plane will take you - without a car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2010, 05:59 PM

13 posts, read 40,914 times
Thanks, folks. I'm just checking back in after some time away.

Regarding downtown Salem, what's it like living there? Is it all businesses, or are there homes and rentals? Does it have any charm or vibe? Is it generally safe? And how is it for trees and lushness?

I plugged the Grand Hotel's address into Walk Score and got a perfect 100, a Walker's Paradise. There are groceries, cafes, farmers markets, a bike shop, and even a health food store in Salem Center -- no need to hike/bike to LifeSource?

Separate question about trees in Salem/Corvallis/Portland: When do the leaves fall, and when do they return? Does the lushness last most of the year, or does it turn to gray much of the time?

Old 11-26-2010, 08:38 PM

15,577 posts, read 40,434,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwalking View Post
Thanks, folks. I'm just checking back in after some time away.

Regarding downtown Salem, what's it like living there? Is it all businesses, or are there homes and rentals? Does it have any charm or vibe? Is it generally safe? And how is it for trees and lushness?

I plugged the Grand Hotel's address into Walk Score and got a perfect 100, a Walker's Paradise. There are groceries, cafes, farmers markets, a bike shop, and even a health food store in Salem Center -- no need to hike/bike to LifeSource?

Separate question about trees in Salem/Corvallis/Portland: When do the leaves fall, and when do they return? Does the lushness last most of the year, or does it turn to gray much of the time?

There are businesses, some condos and rentals above the stores. Downtown has charm but no vibe. Salem is a sleepy town. I think it is safe downtown, but that is a matter of perspective.

Downtown proper is not lush, IMO. There are street trees but it isn't lush compared to some other areas with older growth. I'd say the trees are maybe 20-30 years old at the most.

The health food store in Salem Center is more of a vitamin, protein supplements kind of place. For organic goods, Lifesource is the place to go on a daily basis.

Leaves are typically down by Thanksgiving. Gray and lushness are two separate things. Gray is the sky and it is gray most of the winter. It is green all winter, but I wouldn't call it lush because while the fir trees stay green, obviously we lose our cherry, oak, maple, cottonwood, etc leaves.

Old 11-26-2010, 08:46 PM

5,047 posts, read 6,348,063 times
I did my undergrad degree in Corvallis.

You can absolutely ride a bike or walk everywhere you'd care to go, if you're anywhere near downtown, OSU, Witham Hill, or up near the hospital. I had a motorcycle my first year, but it was broken down a lot and I finally got rid of it. Walking can take awhile, biking was the way to go.

I also spent some significant time in Salem. COULD also bike it, but it's a much larger area and not nearly as bicycle-friendly.

Old 02-06-2014, 09:39 AM
OHW

102 posts, read 147,708 times
I have a question regarding living in the Pearl without a car. I'll be moving to Portland next week and living in the Pearl District and working downtown. I plan to cycle to work, but for getting around Portland will this pass linked below work well?

TriMet: Adult 1-Month Pass

Old 02-06-2014, 10:30 AM

4,059 posts, read 5,620,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHW View Post
I have a question regarding living in the Pearl without a car. I'll be moving to Portland next week and living in the Pearl District and working downtown. I plan to cycle to work, but for getting around Portland will this pass linked below work well?

TriMet: Adult 1-Month Pass
Ultimately it depends on where you want to go, but generally I'd say yes. The one thing Portland's system does relatively well is move people in and out of downtown.

Living in the Pearl your bike (or foot) alone will suffice for almost all services, the pass will expand your range quite a bit. It's not ideal if you want to get out to Sauvie Island to swim or pick berries, but how likely is that to be a solo activity anyway?

You may want to look into a ZipCar membership as they do have a few vans in their fleet I think - more likely you'll want a vehicle to move furniture, etc. -, but in general I personally would consider just having a bike and pass to be viable for 95+% of a Pearl life. (you might find you don't even use the pass that much)

Old 02-06-2014, 04:04 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,336,622 times
Questions on the Pearl would be better served in the Portland Forum.

Old 02-07-2014, 11:28 AM
OHW

102 posts, read 147,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
Questions on the Pearl would be better served in the Portland Forum.
Sorry, I just googled a question about living in Portland without a car and it led to this thread. I had no idea it was on the Salem board. My apologies!

Old 02-08-2014, 10:46 AM

8,000 posts, read 17,336,622 times
No need to apologize. Portlanders read this forum also. It would just be better in the Portland forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem