Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 12:13 PM

4 posts, read 17,048 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone...my husband just got transferred to a new job in Salem...but we love the look of Corvallis...how is the commute? We will be moving in September from Sacramento......Yea! Out of this heat!!!!!!
Thank you......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2007, 05:09 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
It's about 45 minutes from Corvallis to Salem, plus in-city travel at both ends. Call it an hour, door to door. That's a long commute by Oregon standards.

Old 07-09-2007, 09:47 AM

11 posts, read 46,070 times
Default Work in Salem, Live in Salem

As someone who commutes every day from Salem to Portland, I would strongly recommend moving to Salem. Real estate is generally cheaper in Salem, and no matter where you live, the drive to work should be easy--don't be dumb like me--live close to where you work . Salem is still a nice, quiet town with plenty of things to do.

Old 07-12-2007, 11:39 AM

1,217 posts, read 4,033,769 times
The average cost of a home in Corvallis just eclipsed $300K according to the Corvallis paper. Salem is not nearly that expensive as an average.

Old 07-13-2007, 10:50 AM

2,318 posts, read 4,625,098 times
Salem is an interesting city. A few years ago if you asked me whether I would ever live in Salem, the answer would have been, "No way!" But over the years and with more frequent visits to Salem, I've found several areas of town that are really attractive.

Please don't take this wrong, Salemites (Salemers?) but I think Salem makes a bad first impression, and I think it's because the nicer areas are tucked away from public view. If your only interaction with Salem is the I-5 corridor and the hideous Lancaster Dr., you miss a lot.

So if I was taking a job in Salem, I'd focus my home search on Salem. Corvallis is nice, but I think you'll get more home in Salem.

Old 07-14-2007, 11:13 AM

4 posts, read 17,048 times
Default nicest areas in Salem?

Thank you all for your info on Salem....Where are the nicer areas tucked away? It sounds like the north can be scary....

Old 07-15-2007, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjay View Post
Where are the nicer areas tucked away? It sounds like the north can be scary....
I would avoid anything in North or East Salem. Pretty much anything south of or just north of Kuebler and west of I-5 is a good place to look (Foxhaven, Creekside, Croisan Creek, Cambridge, Pringle Elementary area; North Keizer (Clear Lake area) is also worth a look; much of West Salem is probably nice (at least up on the hills, away from the flats), but I personally don't like the idea of being separated from the rest of town by the Marion Street Bridge. The Fairmount area (just south and west of downtown, where the Governor's house is) is a very nice older neighborhood with many well-kept (some quite grand) houses, as is the Candalaria area (a little newer but still quite nice).

Of course there are pockets in all of these areas that aren't the best, but I hope this might give you a starting point, without knowing any more details about your situation.

Old 07-18-2007, 02:34 PM

40 posts, read 160,577 times
Any opinions on battlecreek area just north of kuebler? I found a couple nice homes in there. Worried about traffic/noise from kuebler and I5. Benefit being is that the house is what, 1-2 lights from the I5 onramp.

Old 07-19-2007, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalculusE. View Post
Any opinions on battlecreek area just north of kuebler? I found a couple nice homes in there. Worried about traffic/noise from kuebler and I5. Benefit being is that the house is what, 1-2 lights from the I5 onramp.
If you are talking about the new Centex development, I know some people that live there and they don't seem to think the Kuebler traffic is noisy. And I'm almost sure you'd be far enough from I-5 to hear it.

Old 07-19-2007, 10:56 AM

40 posts, read 160,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalemGuy View Post
If you are talking about the new Centex development, I know some people that live there and they don't seem to think the Kuebler traffic is noisy. And I'm almost sure you'd be far enough from I-5 to hear it.
Heh, that would be it. I mentioned it on the other thread but is that near the new retail center they're thinking of building?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem