U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 07:51 PM

6 posts, read 11,728 times

Advertisements

Hi--I'm moving my family to Salem in a couple of weeks. I've done some research so I know that there aren't many blacks in the city (or the state for that matter). It doesn't really bother me because I grew up living in areas that didn't have many blacks. But this is a new low. Should we be concerned/cautious? I've read some recent news regarding the KKK in Oregon. Are there some areas of Salem that we should try to avoid for safety?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2010, 08:03 PM

14,728 posts, read 35,674,425 times
If you are really concerned about it call the Salem Police Department and they can give you the real scoop on racial/hate crimes and where that activity is.

Generally speaking south and west Salem are considered the areas with better schools and lower crime rates.

Old 12-12-2010, 08:11 PM

That's a good suggestion Silverfall. It makes perfect sense. I only think to call them if/when a crime is happening, but that makes perfect sense. I'll do it. The one shortcoming of that approach is that many, if not most incidents of bad behavior don't rise to the level of a crime and many that do go unreported. Thanks.

Old 12-12-2010, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpantheon View Post
That's a good suggestion Silverfall. It makes perfect sense. I only think to call them if/when a crime is happening, but that makes perfect sense. I'll do it. The one shortcoming of that approach is that many, if not most incidents of bad behavior don't rise to the level of a crime and many that do go unreported. Thanks.

True, but I have had clients call with concerns about certain areas and they said the police were really honest about issues. Even though there may not be a crime per se, they will know about complaints and such.

Old 12-13-2010, 01:02 AM

9,986 posts, read 12,421,964 times
My impression is that the KKK types are in southern Oregon. They came with the logging many moons ago, and I don't think many overtly hold those views anymore. Frankly, I don't think overt racism is appreciated anywhere in Oregon. I think some white supremist types tried to move into John Day or Prairie City a while back, and they were told to move along. That is not to say we do not have our share of very conservative rednecks, but true racists are not very common in Oregon, in my observation. I cannot speak for Salem, but I think it is unlikely that it will be a big issue.

So come on up, and best wishes to you and your family!

Last edited by Fiddlehead; 12-13-2010 at 02:25 AM..

Old 12-13-2010, 01:57 AM

9,792 posts, read 10,606,060 times
I'm being only slightly tongue in cheek when I say that if I was going to avoid a certain part of a town as small as Salem for being unsafe for my particular demographic I'd probably just avoid the place altogether and call it good.

H

Old 12-13-2010, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
I'm being only slightly tongue in cheek when I say that if I was going to avoid a certain part of a town as small as Salem for being unsafe for my particular demographic I'd probably just avoid the place altogether and call it good.

H
Yeah, I see your point. Salem is small. No harm in asking. I have a good feeling about the move. Everyone we met was kind, especially the folks at Myers Elementary. Thanks.

Old 12-13-2010, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpantheon View Post
Yeah, I see your point. Salem is small. No harm in asking. I have a good feeling about the move. Everyone we met was kind, especially the folks at Myers Elementary. Thanks.
Salem is like two different cities. East and West of I-5. You'll understand the dynamic of east Salem better after you move here.

You and your children should be totally fine in West Salem and Myers Elementary. The only race issue you may have is that some of the kids may have never seen a black kid before as we have so few in our city. They may ask curious questions about their skin or hair, but I'd really be surprised if you have issues out west as long as you are up in the hills. The flats out west have some crime issues, currently.

Old 12-15-2010, 12:31 AM

1,592 posts, read 3,130,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
My impression is that the KKK types are in southern Oregon.
I have seen confederate flag stuff in Eugene, Springfield, Corvallis, Salem, Cottage Grove, Junction City, Albany, etc, and that is from spending very little time in most of those cities.

Of course there are racists in Salem and everywhere else, what do you expect. This isnt' Birmingham circa 1950 though.

Old 12-15-2010, 07:26 PM

13 posts, read 37,957 times
Where exactly is West Salem? West of I-5? Or west of the river? And where are the flats vs. the hills?

Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem