Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2007, 05:16 PM

1 posts, read 5,625 times

Advertisements

Hi;
My husband & I are investigating retiring in the Salem Area.
He is African American, I'm of english heritage.
We've enjoyed an open a liberal lifestyle in California.
Will we find a community like that in the Salem area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2007, 09:53 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,671,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertamac View Post
Hi;
My husband & I are investigating retiring in the Salem Area.
He is African American, I'm of english heritage.
We've enjoyed an open a liberal lifestyle in California.
Will we find a community like that in the Salem area?
No, I'm afraid not. Oregon didn't start to develop a colored population until after WWII. Prior to that, various exclusion laws made it illegal for people of color to live in many communities. They were generally referred to as "Sundown Laws", because it was illegal for a colored person to be inside the city limits after sundown. During WWII, the barriers started to come down because many blacks moved into Portland to work at the shipyards building Liberty Ships. However, even into the 1950s, a Chinese man was not allowed to open a Chinese restaurant inside the city limits of McMinnville. He then started a very popular restaurant outside the city limits. Forty years later, when McMinnville finally annexed the area around his restaurant, he sold the restaurant and moved, rather than pay taxes to that town.

The exclusion laws went the way of eugenics laws, first by being ignored and then by being written off the books. By the start of the '60s, everyone had pretty much forgotten about that inconvenient little skeleton in the closet, but Oregon still didn't have much in the way of a minority population. I went to school with several Indian kids, but I had never even met an African-American until I started college.

That's the social substrate you will be moving into. There are more minorities than there used to be, but not that many in Salem. You probably won't encounter much racial hostility. People will just be confused and not know what to make of you. If you are outgoing and friendly, you will probably get along OK. If you are shy, I would expect you to get socially isolated.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Old 07-12-2007, 11:23 AM

1,217 posts, read 4,032,469 times
I live in Salem. The biggest minority community we have is hispanics. There's also a relatively large Russian population. There are few blacks. I have a dear lady friend who is African-American. I asked her about meeting people. She said it's harder than the South, obviously, but she loves it here. I disagree that people will be confused or not know what to make of you. We're not Neanderthals. There will always be the moron who hates; that's a given. However, people in Salem and Oregon generally treat people well. If you're friendly and outgoing, they will respond in kind.

If you come to Salem, welcome!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem