Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2011, 09:59 AM

2 posts, read 9,911 times

Advertisements

My husband and I and our two small children are considering a move to Salem, and I am looking for specific neighborhood advice/information. I have tried to read all the threads I could so I hope I am not repeating too much that has already been said...

We are looking at both West Salem and South Salem. My husband's work will be in West Salem but will also take him to Monmouth (twice a week), Dallas, and the coast occasionally. We want a clean and updated home with a decent-sized but not huge lot (larger than .16 acre) with a usable backyard. We want a nice, safe established family neighborhood with great schools and friendly neighbors (and no HOAs). Because of the decline of the market where we live, we would like to find something for $185,000 or under. We have found quite a few homes in our price range in these areas, but it is hard to know from looking online about specific neighborhoods.

One of the houses we like so far is in an area of the 97304 zip code called "Glen View Tracts," on a street called West Way. On Google maps, the neighborhood looks less than desirable. Does anyone know anything about this neighborhood? How about any neighborhoods far south in Salem (97306 zip code), specifically around a street called Mosswood Ct? The West Salem (97304) neighborhood between Glen Creek Rd and Doaks Ferry Rd (Lakeview Dr)? The neighborhood in South Salem, south of Fircrest City Park, around Charles Ave (zip code 97302)? The neighborhood north of Myers Elementary School in West Salem (zip code 97304), on Clarmount St?

One last question, totally unrelated to neighborhoods but just as important , is there any good hiking in/around Salem? I live in a beautiful mountainous area where I can drive to great hiking in 5 minutes in any direction... I don't need mountain hiking, but I would love easy access to some trails. Does Salem have anything like this, or am I looking at having to drive 30+ minutes to get to any good hiking?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2011, 10:09 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,707,782 times
I was hoping that Silverfall would see this; she can give you better information than I can. But I'll comment so that it will be bumped up and hopefully she'll see it.

The flats in West Salem are best avoided, though I've seen some nice homes there and have a friend who raised a daughter there with no problems.

Lots of good hiking/walking around but you might have to drive more than 5 minutes. Minto Brown park is good.

Old 03-02-2011, 10:32 PM

15,575 posts, read 40,421,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catilina View Post

One of the houses we like so far is in an area of the 97304 zip code called "Glen View Tracts," on a street called West Way. On Google maps, the neighborhood looks less than desirable. Does anyone know anything about this neighborhood?
That area is an older neighborhood with mostly ranch style homes from the 50's. Most will need some updating, lawns are often okay, but not stellar landscaping. This area will be impacted by the redrawing of the school boundaries due to the new school that is being built so it doesn't matter what school the listing says it is in, that may not be true in a month of so when they finalize the new boundaries. There aren't any HOA's there.

Quote:
How about any neighborhoods far south in Salem (97306 zip code), specifically around a street called Mosswood Ct?
This home is in Skyline Village. It is a neighborhood of one story homes that are all reasonably priced. It is a very basic neighborhood. Most homes are fairly well maintained. Good starter home neighborhood. Part of the neighborhood feeds into Schirle and part into Liberty Elementary. Schirle is the stronger of the two schools.

Quote:
The West Salem (97304) neighborhood between Glen Creek Rd and Doaks Ferry Rd (Lakeview Dr)?
This is Chatnika Heights and is a good solid neighborhood. Homes tend to be a bit dated in the first phases that went in during the 50's and the last phase was completed in the early 2000's. There is varied architecture as a result since it was built out over 50 years.

Quote:
The neighborhood in South Salem, south of Fircrest City Park, around Charles Ave (zip code 97302)?
Part of this neighborhood is nice and part isn't. Not bad in a crime kind of way, but there are some homes in there that I think are rentals that haven't been well maintained. I'd say it's on par with Skyline Village in that homes are generally well maintained, fairly basic homes architecturally. This is part of the Salem Heights neighborhood.

Quote:
The neighborhood north of Myers Elementary School in West Salem (zip code 97304), on Clarmount St?
Clarmount is nice. It's 1950's homes, most will need updating but the yards are flat are nice sized, which is the draw. The biggest drawback is the street is the main street to get to Myers to you get a lot of traffic twice a day during the school year.

Quote:
One last question, totally unrelated to neighborhoods but just as important , is there any good hiking in/around Salem?
You can do walking around Minto Brown Park which has 10 miles of trails. Ankeny Refuge has some trails, Bush Park has some trails, but I wouldn't call them hiking trails. I'd say they are for walking, running, or biking.

For what I would consider good hiking you need to drive to Silverfalls State Park, the Santiam River, Mary's Peak, or the Jefferson Wilderness. Salem is in the valley so you have to drive to the hills. None of the valley cities have good hiking 5 minutes from the houses. Oregon has urban growth boundaries to stop sprawl and maintain our farming and natural areas. Our cities are dense, followed by farmland, then our forests after that.

Old 03-03-2011, 07:27 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,676,974 times
If your husband will work in West Salem, you need to live in West Salem. The commute across the Willamette is a real PITA. The bridges jam up. Monmouth/Independence are as close to West Salem as South Salem if you measure commute time. Aggressively shop foreclosures. There are some real deals out there right now. Banks are eager to get real estate off their inventory.

Old 03-03-2011, 09:29 AM

2 posts, read 9,911 times
Thank you for the replies!

I was mistaken about where he will be working... His office will be in West Salem and he will be traveling to Monmouth 2 days a week and also to Northeast Salem (near Chemeketa Comm. College) 1-2 days a week. On those days he will also still go into his office. He will likely not be traveling to these areas during normal peak travel times-- is the traffic going to/from Salem/West Salem still bad if it is not "rush hour?" He will also be traveling in and around Salem and to the coast a few times a month.

@Metlakatla, which area is considered "the flats?"

@Silverfall, thank you so much for the neighborhood information! I'd love some information on more areas, but if you don't want to take the time I totally understand! Here are the other areas we are wondering about:

South Salem:
~Croisan Creek Rd S & Spring St S
~Sunnyside Rd SE at Alvina St SE (about a mile east/southeast of Sumpter Elem.)
~Rees Hill Rd SE & Cinnamon Hill Dr SE (just southeast of Rees City Park)
~Charles Ave S between Crestview Dr S & Stanley Ln S (did I already ask about this one?)
~Tariff Ct. SE (due north of Sumpter Elem.)

West Salem
~Coventry Ct NW (about a mile southeast of Chapman Hill Elem.)
~Champlain Dr NW (at Glen Creek Rd NW)
~Lakeview Dr NW (is this the one you said is considered "Chatnicka?")
~Sitka Deer Ct NW (east of Eola Ridge Park)
~Grayhawk Ct NW

Old 03-04-2011, 01:03 PM

15,575 posts, read 40,421,118 times
Quote:
~Croisan Creek Rd S & Spring St S
It's mostly nice back in there. A bit dated, but heavily treed and well maintained homes. I think they were built in the 70's in that neighborhood.

Quote:
~Sunnyside Rd SE at Alvina St SE (about a mile east/southeast of Sumpter Elem.)
Hickory Hills, Ironwood Estate, Jackwood Estates are all part of this neighborhood. Sunnyside Rd is a really busy street so the homes on Norma and anything within a couple houses of Sunnyside will get significant traffic noise. There is a community garden really close by. Great neighborhood.

Quote:
Rees Hill Rd SE & Cinnamon Hill Dr SE (just southeast of Rees City Park)
Cinnamon Hills is a really nice neighborhood. Most of the homes are dated, but super stable neighborhood, well maintained homes. Great neighborhood.

Quote:
Tariff Ct. SE (due north of Sumpter Elem.)
Nothing wrong with the neighborhood as this is just north of Ironwood Estates. Biggest problem is traffic noise from Kuebler.

West Salem
Quote:
T Coventry Ct NW (about a mile southeast of Chapman Hill Elem.)
This is the Glen Creek area. Most of the neighborhoods are quite nice. There are a couple of pockets of poorly maintained homes but that is a street by street kind of thing. Mostly nice neighborhood.

Quote:
Champlain Dr NW (at Glen Creek Rd NW)
Still in the Chatnika Heights neighborhood.

Quote:
Lakeview Dr NW (is this the one you said is considered "Chatnicka?")
Yes

Quote:
Sitka Deer Ct NW (east of Eola Ridge Park)
This is in Deer Ridge Estates. Built mostly in the 1990's to early 2000's. Very normal, basic traditional homes in here. I've sold several in the neighborhood and they are average grade carpet, formica countertops kind of homes. Typical homes, generally well built. Small lots.

Quote:
Grayhawk Ct NW
[/quote]
This is the entrance to the Breckenridge neighborhood. I can't remember when those homes were built but I want to say 70-80's time frame. Mostly nice well maintained homes. Depending where the house is on Grayhawk, it is subject to potential traffic noise from Doaks Ferry Rd.

The flats in West Salem are right off of Wallace Rd where it meets Edgewater They are the numbered streets 1st-7thish down in the flat part of West Salem.

All the West Salem neighborhoods you have pulled are in the hills.

Old 03-07-2011, 10:12 AM

8,000 posts, read 17,331,906 times
Take a second look at Dalas or Independence. You will be much happier than West Salem. Easy 10 to 15 minute drive to work.

Old 03-07-2011, 02:27 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,676,974 times
Quote:
Thank you for the replies!

I was mistaken about where he will be working... His office will be in West Salem and he will be traveling to Monmouth 2 days a week and also to Northeast Salem (near Chemeketa Comm. College) 1-2 days a week. On those days he will also still go into his office. He will likely not be traveling to these areas during normal peak travel times-- is the traffic going to/from Salem/West Salem still bad if it is not "rush hour?" He will also be traveling in and around Salem and to the coast a few times a month.
Bridge traffic is not bad 9 to 4 unless there is an accident.

Besides the bridges in Salem, the nearest places to cross the Willamette are at Independence and into Salem on River Road, which is very curvy, or at Newberg, which is about an hour there and back. There is a ferry from Wheatland to Mission Bottom that is closed at night and any time there is high water. There are also bridges at Albany and Corvallis. Back when I lived in Salem, I once got stuck in West Salem by a snow storm. I ended up getting a motel room in Monmouth because there was just no way to get home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem