U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 01:03 PM

1,745 posts, read 1,700,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
Residents who want that kind of tranquility, honestly, typically live well outside the UGB or they live in the smaller towns which don't grow as fast.
That's a gross generalization. The reality, sadly, is far different. Many people, myself included, are basically stuck here due to financial reasons. Personally I crave the Salem of which Summertime speaks, I remember it vaguely from 20 or so years ago when I moved here and Salem was still smallish and peaceful. Then the influx (anyone from here will know what I'm talking about)... and now we have ugly, UGLY streets with litter strewn all about and empty ugly buildings with graffitti in foriegn languages all over the place. How anyone could call Salem beautiful is beyond me. It's a hole in the earth. Truthfully I would LOVE nothing more then to be able to live somewhere more aesthetically pleasing, but the truth is I can't afford to move and I'm sure there are plenty of other people in here the same boat.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2011, 01:38 PM

142 posts, read 539,080 times
Default Salem (the city, that is ) has been hijacked...

I had forgotten this thread until Bandon replied.

I totally agree with your assertions that
the last 20 years has been detrimental to what
once was, I imagine, a quaint, pretty town.
I saw the last of this when I first arrived here
in 1987.

There are good elements of people who have moved
here from wherever, but, sadly, the lower classes
have also arrived. I occasionally drive on Wiltsey,
from Sunnyside to Commercial, and invariably, week after week,

I see that someone, who has no sense of right from
wrong, has strewn their trash/garbage on the curve
near a vacant lot... and so the neighbors, who have
some sense of cleanliness and beauty in their
little corner of the world,
diligently go out and clean it up.. they even put
a tall refuse can there for these trashy drivers.

I have not checked in a month but wonder if the
trash can is still there or was it stolen. Have to
check it out sometime.

Due to housing prices dropping like
deflated balloons,
selling now would be a huge loss. So, I understand
the inability to leave Salem.

I do know of a pretty town in Calif.
and so far, it hasn't been destroyed by
irresponsible people.

Meanwhile, wander through some apartment
complexes, go down some alleys behind
businesses and see the overflowing dumpsters,
the mattresses and chairs and junk left outside
of the dumpsters, the total lack of regard for
the rules of being sanitary and environmentally
conscious.

Not pretty.

Last edited by Summertime; 04-18-2011 at 01:51 PM..

Old 04-18-2011, 01:56 PM

14,720 posts, read 35,656,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon View Post
That's a gross generalization. The reality, sadly, is far different. Many people, myself included, are basically stuck here due to financial reasons. Personally I crave the Salem of which Summertime speaks, I remember it vaguely from 20 or so years ago when I moved here and Salem was still smallish and peaceful. Then the influx (anyone from here will know what I'm talking about)... and now we have ugly, UGLY streets with litter strewn all about and empty ugly buildings with graffitti in foriegn languages all over the place. How anyone could call Salem beautiful is beyond me. It's a hole in the earth. Truthfully I would LOVE nothing more then to be able to live somewhere more aesthetically pleasing, but the truth is I can't afford to move and I'm sure there are plenty of other people in here the same boat.
I think it is a matter of perspective. I wouldn't expect a city of 150,000 to have the peace and tranquility of a rural area. Summertime is talking about hills and birds and such. That is my definition of rural areas, not city subdivision living. She lives in a subdivided neighborhood, in a city that has state mandated urban growth boundaries. Those state mandated policies existed 20 years ago.

Oregon in general has had an influx and Silverton has had this exact same argument that Salem is having. I assume the influx you are referring to though is the increase in the Hispanic population that Salem has had in the past 20 years.

When I lived in the Portland west hills, the Roadhouse was off by itself in the middle of nowhere. It's surrounded by developments now. Growth isn't a Salem problem, it is an Oregon problem. Salem hasn't managed its growth well. That's the problem. I'm sorry, but the riverfront was heinous before they built the park there. How you could possibly say that the old riverfront from 20 years ago was nicer than the park and the pedestrian bridge is beyond me. Those are significant improvements to making the city more beautiful. When I moved down here 10 years ago from Portland, I was appalled at how poorly Salem used the river to create a beautiful living environment for the city

The Waterplace building, Salmon Run, the Grand Hotel, the convention center are all improvements over what was there before. The Capitol Mall is beautiful, IMO. You and I just have a different idea of beauty, I think. That's okay. The problem with some of Salem's developers is that they are thinking on a scale that is larger than what is appropriate for Salem incomes and don't blend the old with the new very well. So we end up with oddities like the Meridian. There are a lot of beautiful buildings in Salem.

Other than our recent graffiti episode that hit a few downtown buildings, the only places I have seen graffiti is in N and E Salem. I'd hardly say that there is grafitti all over the place. We'll just have to disagree on that as well.

Salem is not perfect by any means, and I get tired of the political bickering that the city seems to struggle with, but you need to spend some time in the south side of Chicago. I think you'll change your definition of Salem.

Old 04-18-2011, 02:14 PM

I will concede that Pringle Park near the Parkway, and
the park near Church Street, plus a couple of other
parks off of Church Street, are lovely oases for
a worker's hectic day. There are some well-planned
buildings near Summer Street and 12th, also, with
greenery and waterfalls behind the buildings.

And I do concur that the planners did not
look ahead, down the proverbial road, when they
re-did Salem (to the detriment of some of the
existing buildings/lands/roads.)

Also, yes, the Riverfront is a definite positive
improvement and geared for families, as well.

Now they are out scrambling to enable more
traffic on Kuebler, Fairway, and other
places where the commuter traffic overtakes the
road system.

I have seen traffic on South Commercial
backed up at 2 pm on a weekday, from Roth's to
Carl's Car Wash.

What an unnerving sight to behold.

Old 04-18-2011, 03:48 PM

Silverfall, you are right in that the majority of graffitti and trash strewn streets does indeed occur pretty much in N Salem. But that's the perspective I'm coming from. Just because I have a limited income doesn't mean that I wouldn't like my living area to be pretty and it seems like TPTB of Salem seem to have forgotten N Salem entirely when having those "Beautification" talks. It's like who cares if N Salem is made prettier to these guys, as if they think it's all scum/peons/peasants etc who live here. A lot of people here aren't gangstas, rednecks etc...just poor, but appreciate pretty surroundings nevertheless. All I'm saying is that it would be nice if some attention could be paid to these areas rather then all the good stuff going to South, that's it.

I'd like sidewalks on Hayesville for instance, especially with the rash of distracted drivers in this town and the high incidences of pedestrian/car collisions.

Old 04-18-2011, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summertime View Post
There are good elements of people who have moved
here from wherever, but, sadly, the lower classes
have also arrived. I occasionally drive on Wiltsey,
from Sunnyside to Commercial, and invariably, week after week,

I see that someone, who has no sense of right from
wrong, has strewn their trash/garbage on the curve
near a vacant lot... and so the neighbors, who have
some sense of cleanliness and beauty in their
little corner of the world,
diligently go out and clean it up.. they even put
a tall refuse can there for these trashy drivers.

I have not checked in a month but wonder if the
trash can is still there or was it stolen. Have to
check it out sometime.

Summertime, everytime somebody asks me what part of Salem I'm from I literally cringe. It's embarassing to admit to living on this side of town precisely because it is filled with lower class type people who think nothing of tossing sh*t out their car windows.

I feel like I always have to explain that I'm a culinary school graduate (the eats on this side of town are a whole OTHER thread lol) who has probably read thousands of books. I'm not a methhead/welfaerie/food stamp queen/person of Wal*Fart..I swear !!! I'm just stuck here..forgive..forgive lol

But yeah...about the food on this side of town. Please..not all of us here want to dine at Hometowne Barfette or McDonalds exclusively. I would LOVE a Trader Joes on THIS side of town or a Lifesource. But alas, I have to cross into a whole other universe to shop at those places lol.

Old 04-18-2011, 04:06 PM

Default If you are renting...

Bandon, why not look into moving into SE Salem?

Right behind the athletic Courthouse are nice
apartments/townhouses ....and this area
is comparatively well-cared for, and if
any trash is thrown out of a window,
the senior citizens on their daily walks,
take bags to pick it up.. usually not
very often an occurrence, thank heavens.

I know how you feel about being 'labeled'
if you live in NE Salem... and I feel badly
about that.. I hope I did not infer this,
as what I meant is that low life are moving
into Salem, as witness gang activity,
graffiti, and even high school warfare.

This part of Salem is comparatively
a DMZ zone, if I recall military terminology
correctly... I mean.... no gangs are
out and about here.

So, come on down, look over the offerings,
and get a nice apt. next to an exercise
class, where you can work off your culinary
attributes...lol.. just kidding.

PS... Trader Joe will be opening soon...
AND you are close to the freeway when you make your escape.

Old 04-18-2011, 04:14 PM

Oh no Summertime, I really didn't take anything you said personally at all lol..no worries ;-)

Actually, as soon as I can obtain a reasonably well-paying job as a beginning line cook (takes a while to achieve the Chef status lol) and save while plugging away at that, I was planning on moving to SS. That or WS.

. . . And someday I would REALLY love to live at the coast, but for now that's far off.

Anyway, the only thing I can do now is get a job as a cook and save for the move outta this Hellhole lol

Signed,
Biding my time in NE

Old 04-18-2011, 04:19 PM

You might be surprised and find out that you can
afford SE Salem digs as well as NE Salem digs.
Check it out sometime when you are bored..

I, personally, am very much affected by my
living environment. I need trees, quiet, wildlife
creatures such as ducks, gulls, nutria,
squirrels, and all the various birds to view,

and no frantic traffic to
scare me out of my mind.

This is key to being sane in Salem.

Old 04-18-2011, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summertime View Post
I, personally, am very much affected by my
living environment. I need trees, quiet, wildlife
creatures such as ducks, gulls, nutria,
squirrels, and all the various birds to view,

and no frantic traffic to
scare me out of my mind.

This is key to being sane in Salem.

Amen to all that, Sister
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem