Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 06:46 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,411,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMartel2 View Post

And no, poverty is not caused by a lack of education. It's caused by a lack of internal drive and a long history of poor decision making.
Luckily the Modern World disagrees with you and backs that up with research and historical evidence. While true in a very small minority of people, your broad brush is unfair and frankly smacks of out right classism. Lack of Education is a major factor in continued poverty.

Sociology: Causes and Effects of Poverty

"The stereotypic (and simplistic) explanation persists—that the poor cause their own poverty—based on the notion that anything is possible in America. Some theorists have accused the poor of having little concern for the future and preferring to “live for the moment”; others have accused them of engaging in self-defeating behavior. Still other theorists have characterized the poor as fatalists, resigning themselves to a culture of poverty in which nothing can be done to change their economic outcomes. In this culture of poverty—which passes from generation to generation—the poor feel negative, inferior, passive, hopeless, and powerless."

Poverty Causes and Effects

"A major factor determining whether someone will end up living in poverty, education or skill level can make or break an income. Education plays a vital role in acquiring jobs, learning new skills, and bringing home necessities and comforts of life. A person who doesn’t receive an education has a very small chance of making much money and acquiring skills that would bring home a desirable income. Many who do not have an education bring their family into a cycle of poverty, where their posterity doesn’t necessarily have the income to go to college or even don’t have a desire to acquire a high school diploma."

..:: Causes of Poverty ::..

"Primary factors that may lead to poverty include overpopulation, the unequal distribution of resources in the world economy, inability to meet high standards of living and costs of living, inadequate education and employment opportunities, environmental degradation, certain economic and demographic trends, and welfare incentives."

A Dollar a Day :: Education and Poverty

"If developing countries can offer good quality education to kids, the results will be tremendous. Education is considered a ‘vaccine’ for HIV/AIDS – if children are educated about the disease, they are much less likely to contract the disease. Literacy helps communication and reasoning skills in children. And most importantly, education can help children from impoverished families break out of poverty. For every year of schooling children have, their salary as an adult will increase by an average of 10% - whether they are a girl OR a boy."

Effects of Poverty, Hunger, and Homelessness on Children and Youth

"As of September 2009, unemployment has spiked dramatically to 9.8%, having doubled since the beginning of the recession in December 2007.The national poverty rate is the highest it has been for the last 11 years, growing to 13.2% in 2008 from 12.5% in 2007."...

"These disparities are associated with the historical marginalization of ethnic minority groups and entrenched barriers to good education and jobs."

The Prison Scholar Fund - The Benefits of Education

"A psychiatrist who directed the Massachusetts Prison Mental Health Service reports that: “the most successful of all [anti-recidivism programs], and the only one that had been 100 percent effective in preventing recidivism, was the program that allowed inmates to receive a college degree while in prison. Several hundred prisoners in Massachusetts had completed at least a bachelor's degree while in prison over a 25-year period, and not one of them had been returned to prison for a new crime.”

Follow-up Study of Offenders Who Earn College Degrees While Incarcerated in New York State.

"Of a sample of 276 offenders who earned college degrees while in New York State prisons, 14 percent were reincarcerated. This recidivism rate is lower than the 20 percent overall rate, attributed both to the offenders' capabilities and motivation and to the impact of the college program."

http://bsdweb.bsdvt.org/district/Equ...eg_Matters.pdf

"Socioeconomic segregation is a stubborn, multidimensional and deeply important cause of educational inequality."

"From an educational perspective, perhaps the most important of those linkages is with the level of concentrated poverty in a school. These differences start at an early age. A comprehensive federal study of children across the country entering kindergarten shows very large differences in the acquisition of skills invaluable for school success long before the children ever enter a schoolhouse."

The Newark and Detroit Riots: Events
"... As a result of previous discrimination and poor education, black workers, who were concentrated in heavy industry, felt the impact of these changes more than white workers who had moved upward into managerial and professional jobs."

The Education of American Workers - Education And Poverty - School, Degree, College, and Diploma - StateUniversity.com

"In general, as individuals attain higher educational levels, the risk of living in poverty falls markedly. Of all those sixteen years of age and older in the labor force during 2002, those with less than a high school diploma had a much higher poverty rate (14.6%) than high school graduates (6.1%), according to the BLS in A Profile of the Working Poor, 2002 (September 2004). The lowest poverty rates were reported by workers with an associate degree (2.8%) or college degree (1.6%). (See Table 4.9.) "

Journal of Educational Controversy - Article: Return of the Deficit

"The danger is that a “pedagogy of poverty,” by limiting low-income students’ opportunities to experience rich, engaging curricula that characterizes the education of children in affluent schools, contributes to a process by which “intelligent, creative, cultured children [are] transformed . . . into seemingly ‘slow,’ deficited, acultured beings” (Gee, in Rogers, ix, 2003)."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2012, 06:26 PM

478 posts, read 782,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summertime View Post
Deeply religious people, who are not ranting fanatics,
are 'God-fearing'..

and when one fears God's
judgment,

one endeavors to follow the
scriptures and commandments;

therefore, by virtue of being moral,

one becomes
a good citizen.
You must be very selective in your "truths" to believe all that.

Old 01-17-2012, 06:45 PM

To blame people for their own poverty is simplistic at best. Some choose to be leeches or thieves, but some are good citizens who haven't had the opportunity, or didn't see it, to move out of poverty.

Another side of this is that some people are "poor" yet very good citizens. Some lower-income people are happy and don't consider it a worthwhile endeavor to become richer. Also I will say emphatically: not all good citizens are religious, and not all religious people are good citizens--even if you pick your favorite religion here!

To blame all "poorer" people for their situation is first of all ignorant, and second of all self-serving and not what I would expect from someone who considers themself a good citizen.

On a little different track: Some people move, and don't try to be a good citizen where they have moved to. I think a person should contribute to their community, and not try to just get what they can from it. If I moved to another place to earn more money (or for whatever reason), and I didn't care about my new community, I would be a jerk.

Last edited by OregonYeti; 01-17-2012 at 07:08 PM..

Old 01-17-2012, 07:26 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,944,003 times
What's wrong with poverty? It's only in the eyes of the arrogant it is bad, and it really becomes ugly when impoverished human is removed from nature, where they belong, and become stuck in rat-cages (crowded cities)--because the "wealthier" classes control access to nature (you can't legally live in nature anywhere in the US, may be on some Indian reservations, that's it). In the natural state, normal human is poor... it is the crooked/wicked/insane ones who promote wealth, money, ideas of "climbing up the latter", "careers", "standards of living", "progress", etc.

Old 01-17-2012, 10:27 PM

My parents purposely brought me up with all I needed and very little more than that. This was a conscious decision on their part, because they could have bought a lot more .. and I thank them for not doing that!

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 02-03-2012 at 10:55 AM.. Reason: No manual signatures allowed, per the TOS

Old 01-18-2012, 09:48 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,411,436 times
I grew up poor by circumstances, and by the barest margins of pure luck am now comfortable middle class. But I see most members of my family who through no fault of their own, and despite years of extremely hard work, are still at or below the poverty level.

For people to come back and blame them for their poverty is annoying. Fewer things make me madder then blaming someone for the circumstances life threw at them despite everything they've done to better themselves.

Old 01-18-2012, 10:04 AM

2,441 posts, read 3,424,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by salemborne View Post
Hi,
I lived my entire life in Salem so I can give some advice. After living here almost 40 years were leaving. Here is some information that many do not know.

Salem houses the state, county, and city corrections facility, state mental hospital, and state drug rehab centers. Not only does this bring in the criminals but also their families. Those committed and incarcerated tend to stay in the area. Crime is getting worse.

We have also seen a huge influx of low income Hispanics. Many of the grade schools consist of 80-90% Hispanics. Predictions are by the year 2020 whites will be a minority in the school system. I'm not white or racist. A huge immigration of poor and uneducated people negatively impacts any community's resources, crime, and economy. Ask the Salem PD, Hispanic gang violence is rapidly increasing.

Many people's posts are fairly accurate. Salem's dinning is weak, not a lot to do unless you want to travel an hour (beach, mountain, hike, city life.)

Life is to short to stay. It's time to find some fun.
Sounds like Sacramento. At least for now.

Old 01-30-2012, 08:00 PM

281 posts, read 711,174 times
This may have already been mentioned, but Salem seems to have an inordinate number of sex offenders. I briefly looked at a house near downtown until I found out 22 predatory sex offenders were registered living within a mile radius!

Old 01-30-2012, 08:33 PM

If you don't have a way to back that statement up, I will consider it bs. I don't live in Salem, and I have no stake in that, but it sounds like something a bored person might say to stir things up.

Old 01-30-2012, 09:17 PM

281 posts, read 711,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonYeti View Post
If you don't have a way to back that statement up, I will consider it bs. I don't live in Salem, and I have no stake in that, but it sounds like something a bored person might say to stir things up.
Haha, okay! Here's the listing: 1110 5th St NE, Salem, OR 97301 | MLS# 645741

Now, put the address into the Oregon Sex Offender Registry: Oregon Sex Offender Inquiry System (Map)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem