Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 02:24 PM

24 posts, read 81,265 times

Advertisements

I do a lot of bicycling. In warm weather, I often commute to and from work (15-20mi) here in the mountains of NC by bicycle. There are many routes to and from my destination either way, so depending on the time of day, I choose a different route to dodge traffic.

It seems, though, that there is basically one way from Dallas to Salem, and I'm wondering if some locals (whether you ride a bicycle or not) could give me some info on things like:

*The road conditions (like potholes/grooves or shoulder width--room for cyclists?)
*Traffic AM/PM? (Big Trucks? Bicycle-friendly drivers?)
*The general attitude toward bicycles in the passing neighborhoods
*A lot of unchained dogs?
*How bicycle friendly is the city part of Salem (namely the capitol area)?

Also, it will be helpful if you include whether you are a cyclist or not, but any and all opinions/advice will be greatly appreciated =)

Lee, NC
Stranger Than Fact
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2008, 02:43 PM

15,587 posts, read 40,480,386 times
I am not by my hubby is. Salem is very bike friendly as we have a lot of bike lanes. Downtown is fine, if that is where you end up working. There are some backroads in Dallas that you would want to take. The most direct route would be 22, but it would be a huge mistake in my opinion. There is a shoulder, but too many large trucks. I can't image the smell of gas and diesel being what you want.

On some of the backroads you will run into logging trucks and tractors. My husband has been on pretty much every road in Marion and Polk county on his bike and could give you a lot of details. I know that there are several bike maps as well that he has that spell out grades of the road, paved vs. gravel etc. I don't know how you feel about Monmouth or Independence to live, but you could come over the Independence Bridge and then take River Rd north into the city. You could also head north into Bethel Heights area and take the Wheatland Ferry.

The major problem you will have will be crossing the river. They are getting ready to start revovation on the old railroad track bridge that will be for pedestrians and cyclists only. That dumps into the downtown area by riverfront park. That won't be done for 1-2 years though, so you'd have to have a backup until then.

Marion street bridge is really dangerous for cyclists and my hubby hates having to cross it on his bike. He'll detour up or down to avoid it when possible.

Old 01-24-2008, 11:41 PM

1,217 posts, read 4,036,101 times
I would NEVER ride my bike from Salem to Dallas. Highway 22 in Polk County is a death trap in a vehicle, never mind a bike.

Old 02-01-2008, 04:00 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,376,832 times
If you get hungry on your way, there's a steak place in Amarillo that has a challenge, eat the whole steak and it's free.

Old 02-01-2008, 04:03 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,376,832 times
Could be a tough ride if you go through Denver with the elevation, though.

Old 02-22-2008, 06:52 PM

2 posts, read 12,289 times
Are you people unaware that there is a bike path that runs from Salem across the Marion St. Bridge all the way to Hwy 99? I see bike riders all of the time in this area but never see them on the bike path. That path was built at much expense and then nobody uses it. ?? Is it because you are not aware of it?

Old 02-23-2008, 02:31 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,945,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnewland View Post
That path was built at much expense and then nobody uses it. ?? Is it because you are not aware of it?
It is often the case when these public works are built that relevant individuals are not included in the design. It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest to find out that the path is unusable by a majority of cyclists because of any of a number of reasons including: little or no separation from pedestrian traffic; transitions which involve dismounting from the bicycle, wierd road surface, etc. It is of course possible that area cyclists are simply unaware that a bike path exists but it is unlikely IME. I suspect they spurn it for a reason. Then again, even in Portland, I suspect a majority of cyclists consider simply getting to downtown a major ride. Going over the bridge and out is way more ride than they are prepared for. The serious cyclists for whom 3 miles is barely enough to get their heart rates into a target zone will know about route options and in all likelihood know a better way of doing it. The o.p.'s question is a very good one for the bicycle forum that I participate on. I don't see that it should violate terms of service to post it here: Bike Forums.

H

Old 02-26-2008, 08:48 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,462,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous Dave View Post
If you get hungry on your way, there's a steak place in Amarillo that has a challenge, eat the whole steak and it's free.
The Big Texan...good one!

Old 02-27-2008, 11:44 AM

42 posts, read 192,088 times
Commuting from Dallas to Salem would be best along highway 22. There is a bike path from Rickreall all the way into Salem. It is an easy ride, not a lot of hills. The bike path is very nice, paved, and seldom used.

Old 05-06-2008, 08:42 AM

24 posts, read 81,265 times
Thanks Patti, I'll definitely be checking the bike path out... After years of cycling in the Appalachains of NC, where the bicycle isn't always given the on-road courtesy required by law, I look forward to a change of venue...

The roads are not always so bad when the drivers are courteous ^_^
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem