U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 10:28 AM

2 posts, read 4,141 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I am new here and this is my first posting. My husband will be joining the Salem hospital as a physician from July. I was reading all the posts about Salem. Spme postings seem to be scary. Is Salem that bad? We are looking to rent an apartment initially. We are looking for a 2-3 bedroom apartment in a safe area maybe in south or west salem that is near the Salem hospital. Can you please help me that? Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 10:51 AM

14,995 posts, read 36,889,388 times
No Salem isn't that bad. What are you reading that is concerning you?

West Salem isn't near the hospital. You'd want south. There are some really nice apartments in Fairmount Hill area, which puts you close. There is on in particular that is tucked away behind the park that doesn't show up on Google searches. It is really well maintained. I'll have to get the name of it for you.

Otherwise there are loads on Liberty which would put you about 10 minutes from the hospital.

Old 03-30-2011, 01:42 PM

2 posts, read 4,141 times
Thanks for the reply. I was just reading some posts that was talking about high crime rates and public schools. Anyway, I was there in Salem for just 2 days. I was told that West Salem has newer construction and had an impression that West Salem will be just 15-20 min drive to the hospital. I may be wrong. Actually I would really appreciate I you can name some good apartments in nice friendly neighborhood, good management and near to shopping. Schools is not an issue right now as we do not have kids yet. Thank you.

Old 03-30-2011, 08:06 PM

14,995 posts, read 36,889,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by payalshah30 View Post
Thanks for the reply. I was just reading some posts that was talking about high crime rates and public schools. Anyway, I was there in Salem for just 2 days. I was told that West Salem has newer construction and had an impression that West Salem will be just 15-20 min drive to the hospital. I may be wrong. Actually I would really appreciate I you can name some good apartments in nice friendly neighborhood, good management and near to shopping. Schools is not an issue right now as we do not have kids yet. Thank you.
Salem has a lower crime rate than Eugene. It's pretty average for a city of this size. People say things that aren't factual all the time on forums.

Everything is 15-20 minutes from the hospital in Salem. If that is "close" then you can live anywhere in Salem. I thought you meant close, like as in 5-10 minutes away.

There is new construction all over Salem. Actually the newest apartment complexes are in south Salem (way south) and up in Keizer. There are some newer ones off Wallace Rd over in the Brush College area, but not a lot of newer apartments in West Salem.

Old 04-03-2011, 08:57 AM

8,000 posts, read 15,914,588 times
And West Salem can be several hours from the Hospital. A minor accident on the bridge (happens often) or a suicide (also happens) can close the bridge and it is a long way around.

Old 04-03-2011, 03:15 PM

9 posts, read 14,895 times
salem is a very pretty town alot of great parks and things to do.just dont move on lancaster dr area its very crowed and its the bad side on town i know used to live on that side, good luck to u

Old 04-06-2011, 12:41 PM

33 posts, read 121,488 times
Default No, Salem is not that bad. My wife and I love it here.

Quote:
Hi everyone. I am new here and this is my first posting. My husband will be joining the Salem hospital as a physician from July. I was reading all the posts about Salem. Spme postings seem to be scary. Is Salem that bad? We are looking to rent an apartment initially. We are looking for a 2-3 bedroom apartment in a safe area maybe in south or west salem that is near the Salem hospital. Can you please help me that? Thanks
We moved here in the summer of 2008 so I could attend graduate school at Willamette. We started out in West Salem but in 2009, we bought a house near Bush Pasture Park just south of downtown. My theory is that people who do not like Salem are comparing it to places like Seattle, Portland, and San Fransisco. After living in Atlanta, GA for years, my wife and I have no desire to live near that much traffic or that many people again, no matter how cool the city is. We moved here from Montgomery, AL and I can tell you with certainty that Salem is a breath of fresh air when compared to places like Montgomery. What people in the NW don't understand, is that most places are more like Montgomery, AL, and very few places are as great as Portland. A friend of ours from Montgomery, AL who moved there from Portland (and grew up in Chicago) told us that he moved away because the PNW isn't the real world, that life really isn't that good anywhere else. I thought it was an odd statement, but after living here I understand what he meant, and I think people complain about Salem (and the weather in Oregon) because they don't know how good they have it.

Old 04-06-2011, 01:14 PM

Default Best places to live in Salem

Quote:
We loved West Salem, but the bridge traffic can be rough. I suggest South Salem. We live in the area Google Maps calls South Central. Look anywhere south of Bush Pasture Park and west of 12th street, except the area east of South Salem High School between Howard, Rural, and 12th.

There are also very nice neighborhoods to the east and north of downtown, closer to the state hospital. Our friends tend to live in the smaller, older apartments like The Forum, the two story brick place on the creek behind Safeway, and the wood shingle colonials just south of The Forum. There are a lot of places like that in South Salem too. There is one apartment complex across from Salem High on Rural that must have one of the best views in the valley. There are also newer loft spaced like The Metro downtown and the Broadway just north of downtown. There was also a condo boom just before the bust in downtown & south. I think they're starting to rent those out too.

Rental houses can also be affordable in these areas, though a little harder to come by.

Old 04-06-2011, 01:30 PM

Default Newest Apts in West Salem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
Salem has a lower crime rate than Eugene. It's pretty average for a city of this size. People say things that aren't factual all the time on forums.

Everything is 15-20 minutes from the hospital in Salem. If that is "close" then you can live anywhere in Salem. I thought you meant close, like as in 5-10 minutes away.

There is new construction all over Salem. Actually the newest apartment complexes are in south Salem (way south) and up in Keizer. There are some newer ones off Wallace Rd over in the Brush College area, but not a lot of newer apartments in West Salem.
There is one new apartment complex in West Salem near the very top the hills on Gehler Rd. just off of Eola. One of my friends lived there and liked it but he moved closer in (as Silver Falls said, "closer" is relative in Salem, nothing is very far away and the only real traffic is crossing the bridge at rush hour). You can get majestic views of the whole Willamette Valley up there.

Old 04-06-2011, 01:38 PM

I also wanted to share a previous post of mine about life in Salem. //www.city-data.com/forum/orego...l#post12062930

I need to update that again after living here for 3 years. Word of Mouth is only open for breakfast and lunch now, but it's still the best eats in town. There is also a new Indian place near the corner of State and 12th that I can't wait to check out. And you must go to the Saturday Market when you get here and get some of the incredible local produce and food, my favorite is the Canby Asparagus Farms quesadilla.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem