Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 09:42 AM

31 posts, read 134,880 times

Advertisements

Homes in the Willamette Valley/Portland are expensive for a family. In the city of Portland, schools have closed due to the lack of affordability for families to live there. This is unfortunate for sellers someday too who have hoped to sell their homes that are perfect for young families.

Old 09-07-2007, 09:50 AM

1,457 posts, read 6,031,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraVioletMama View Post
Homes in the Willamette Valley/Portland are expensive for a family. In the city of Portland, schools have closed due to the lack of affordability for families to live there. This is unfortunate for sellers someday too who have hoped to sell their homes that are perfect for young families.
Do you think the availability of a $250,000 to $350,000 home is expensive for a family? Note that I said "availability".

Maybe for a single income.

Of course there are a lot of families that can't afford that, but then there are a lot of families with a single income of $15 per hour. How that adult placed themselves in that income range, I don't know.

But I usually think of a affordability and income along the lines of people who nurtured themselves into professionals who could afford to raise a family.

Old 09-08-2007, 11:01 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
Oregon is a great place to live if you have money. There's a big debate going on about the fact that 25.2% of the children in Douglas County live below the poverty line. That's during some pretty good times. Who knows what will happen if there is a recession!

The News-Review - News (http://www.newsreview.info/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=200770902001 - broken link)

If the sidebar obscures the first part of the article, click the print link, and it will format better.

Old 09-09-2007, 06:31 PM

174 posts, read 940,676 times
Angry Ouch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdvaden View Post
Of course there are a lot of families that can't afford that, but then there are a lot of families with a single income of $15 per hour. How that adult placed themselves in that income range, I don't know.

But I usually think of a affordability and income along the lines of people who nurtured themselves into professionals who could afford to raise a family.
Ouch! Judgment at its best. I'll try to keep my anger tempered but your subtle insinuations against people who aren't well-off is even more annoying than people who are blatantly open about their attitudes. If you have lived in Oregon for any length of time you will be well aquainted with college professors being forced into fast-food jobs due to lack of work and a poor economy. People don't "place" themselves into incomes all the time. Sure there are people who haven't excelled in their lives or "nurtured" themselves into professionals, but that may be because they aren't that type of person. Of course your comment also is a slam TO professionals who earn $15/hour or less. People who have nurtured the important part of themselves and their knowledge that money isn't everything and maybe being a teacher, policeman, or even a nurse is more important than being well-off.

Just a guess, but you must be wealthy and haven't been in Oregon long. Perhaps another Californian with an attiude. All due respect to those Californians who are hard-working people looking for a better life not looking to own their own mountain in Oregon to look down on others.

By the way, I "nurtured" myself into the professional role of being a Registered Nurse and make $20/hour. Where do I fit on your afflouency scale? I couldn't come anywhere near $250,000 for a house.

Old 09-09-2007, 09:53 PM

32 posts, read 169,805 times
Corvallis has one of the highest costs of living in the state (I worked at the Chamber of Commerce for a spell). If you are looking for a less expensive house near Oregon State University, try looking at Lebanon, Brownsville, Philomath, or even Alsea. Traveling to Corvallis is simple, and you won't be paying top dollar to live in a large town.

Old 09-10-2007, 01:11 AM

5 posts, read 12,225 times
Default The milk of human kindness should be sweeter...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdvaden View Post
Do you think the availability of a $250,000 to $350,000 home is expensive for a family? Note that I said "availability".

Maybe for a single income.

My husband and I are looking to move to the beautiful state of Oregon. And the responses on this forum have been both helpful and inspiring....for the most part. I'm glad to see so many folks from Oregon taking their time to help strangers find a home and better quality of life.... something that everyone deserves.

I must also caution you that you attract what you put out into the world. No one likes a bully, so on behalf of those who strive so valiantly for better, for themselves and their own...May the fleas of a thousand camels infest your armpits.

Last edited by Waterlily; 09-10-2007 at 11:22 PM.. Reason: no flames please

Old 09-10-2007, 08:19 PM

174 posts, read 940,676 times
Thumbs up Too Funny!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue skies ahead View Post
May the fleas of a thousand camels infest your armpits.
Ha! Haha! I can't stop laughing!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-11-2007, 10:28 AM

1,236 posts, read 4,048,423 times
In the Rogue Valley, I see houses for sale all over the area, it's a buyer's market. Many homes are above the 250k price range, but there are many homes for sale that are below that price range. In fact, there are more options for purchasing a home than there are available jobs and IMHO that's more of a problem for those people who are seeking employment.

Old 09-11-2007, 05:11 PM

206 posts, read 615,519 times
Talking move in apt

try moving in a apt till you find what you want or is a big area this will give you time to get around the area

good luck

Old 09-12-2007, 04:41 PM

6 posts, read 20,613 times
I suppose you can always move into the over populated cesspool of Hillsboro or Aloha. There's lots of new compact cookie-cutter homes there. Of course the area sucks, but hey... you get what you pay for. You can have a nice new house and make minimum wage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem