U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 05:12 PM

16 posts, read 46,932 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are looking for a fresh start somewhere in the future (approx. a year from now). We have friends who live in Salem, OR and they are trying to convince us to move out that way. We've neither one been to Oregon before. The only time I was on the west coast was when I was 12 and that was Los Angeles/San Diego. They've assured me that Oregon is nothing like that, and thats a good thing. We are just looking into a few possible places to relocate, and Salem is one of them. Currently we are living in Cheyenne, Wyoming. We have an almost 9-month-old daughter, and want to move somewhere that she'll have a good future. For those of you that are unfamiliar with Wyoming, there isn't anything here except right-wing extremists and high costs of living with horribly low wages. As far as the "right-wing extremist" part, I don't really claim a political party, and get sick of people cramming their mindless dribble down my throat. My wife and I are just normal people looking for a great place to raise our daughter. Another thing with Wyoming, is that the cost of living is high and the wages suck. A friend of mine refers to Cheyenne as "Denver prices, not Denver wages." As an example, the other day a local airline was looking for an Accountant with a Bachelors Degree and Experience for $10 an hour. This state tries to keep good honest people from ever getting ahead in life. My friends tell me Oregon is quite different than that, but having never been there I'm still skeptical. My wife and I are big "scenery" people. We drive for miles to see scenery. She is an ocean lover, and I love the mountains. We've been told Oregon has both. We're really "outdoors" style people and not into the whole bar scene. My wife is currently in retail and I work in Television Broadcasting with an Associates Degree in IT. Any advice anyone can give us on relocating would be great. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by 00buckshotwyo; 08-09-2011 at 05:34 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2011, 05:30 PM

480 posts, read 2,301,566 times
Having lived in Denver for nearly 20 years, I've been to Cheyenne a few times. Wyoming would have to be close to the top of my places not to live for many of the reasons you list. The biggest problem you will have here is finding jobs. Retail isn't as bad as other areas but don't expect good pay. Television would be pretty tough and Portland probably easier than Salem. But to focus on Salem - Salem is most centered around being the State capitol. Most jobs are with the State or state-related, there is not much nightlife, few (if any) good restaurants, limited cultural activities (though some), good neighborhoods and schools and bad neighborhoods and schools. The coast is about an hour and a half one way and the mountains about as far the other. Portland is north about an hour away. Lots of outdoor activities all over Oregon. Weather wise, you won't be in dry Cheyenne - look for plenty of rain in Salem. The biggest issue will be finding jobs.

Old 08-09-2011, 05:59 PM

That sounds good. One thing I forgot to post also is that we would be looking to rent, and curious what the rental conditions are like. Wyoming is full of slumlords, and the conditions are horrible and expensive. The nightlife part doesn't bother me, with a 9-month old who has time to go out? Although we were never into that kind of thing before her either. Jobs are tough everywhere, and right now we're just looking into several possibilities.

Old 08-09-2011, 06:58 PM

14,767 posts, read 35,783,638 times
Actually there are some great restaurants in Salem. Bendite probably hasn't been here in the past 5 years or needs some directions on where to eat here locally.

Salem has a 9.7% unemployment rate. Your skills aren't particularly in demand here so you may have a tough time finding a job. Salem is a sleepy town and since you aren't into nightlife it might be a good fit.

As for scenery, Salem is in the valley so you can see Mt. Hood and Mt. Jefferson on a regular basis but we aren't nestled in them by any means. It takes about 1.5 hours to get to mountains or to get to the coast.

Old 08-09-2011, 07:40 PM

758 posts, read 2,184,211 times
I must say that I have probably disagreed with Senator Alan Simpson on darn near everything until just recently. Both of us growing older must have helped

Old 08-09-2011, 07:46 PM

758 posts, read 2,184,211 times
You should know that Portland/Salem workers DO take part of their pay in scenery, relative to, say, Seattle or the SF Bay Area. Housing costs used to reflect that, and they're starting to again. The weather is probably nicer than in Wyoming.
The job market has been brutal but should get better, however, there is lots of competition since the area continues to attract people.
If you are willing to consider a variety of things to do, you'll have a better time of it. You could always move to the Portland area and visit your friends in Salem. The two places aren't far apart, and the job opportunities in Portland are better.

As to outdoor stuff, yeah, there's lots of it, especially if you can deal with light, continuous rain from about mid-October through April. It keeps your skin soft and keeps things green.

Old 08-10-2011, 11:52 AM

200 posts, read 398,506 times
From what you've said, you would probably be really happy in Salem. Just get feelers out for those job leads early. Housing is a lot better than what you are describing, and hey, as far as restaurants go.... at least Olive Garden is good!

It really depends what someone wants. If you're after a good burger diner the Court Street Dairy lunch is where the downtowners eat. The Sassy Onion is also an extremely popular breakfast stop for excellent reason. Everyone has a neighborhood favorite. When I lived in North Salem it was all about the House of Dragon's shrimp eggrolls and when I was downtown The Sassy Onion was my go to for breakfast and lunch.

Cost of living is a breeze if you have a steady job and know how to budget (and you don't need to keep up with the joneses.) We supported a family of 4 comfortably on 14$ an hour (just one income) in a 2 bedroom townhouse in a decent neighborhood. You can do it too if you don't have a lot of debt to pay off and don't have car payments.

Old 08-10-2011, 01:43 PM

Yea, we're looking at least a year away if not a little longer for the above reasons you mentioned. Our cars will both be paid off at the end of the month (thanks to hail damage) and we want to power pay everything else off before we move. I know someone out there that works at IBM, and maybe could drop my name for a position. I'll still keep my eyes open and see what's around there. I have a brother-in-law that lives in Vancouver, WA also, but that area looks a little too big for me.

Old 08-10-2011, 03:50 PM

14,767 posts, read 35,783,638 times
You all need to come back to Salem and go out to eat...

Good restaurants in Salem

La Capitale
Crooked House Bistro
Andaluz
Da Vinci's
Venti's Taphouse
Gambretti's
Word of Mouth Bistro
Busick (good breakfasts)
Rudy's
Wild Pear
Court St Dairy Lunch
Sassy Onion
Amadeus
Alcyone
Thai Beer
Super Pho

I like all of these places. There are plenty of really good non-chain restaurants in Salem but if you never venture off Lancaster you won't know that. Don't listen to anyone that tells you that we don't have good restaurants here. Either they haven't lived in Salem for the past 7 years when many of the restaurants started or they only stayed on the east side of Salem.

Old 08-10-2011, 04:23 PM

480 posts, read 2,301,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
You all need to come back to Salem and go out to eat...

Good restaurants in Salem

La Capitale
Crooked House Bistro
Andaluz
Da Vinci's
Venti's Taphouse
Gambretti's
Word of Mouth Bistro
Busick (good breakfasts)
Rudy's
Wild Pear
Court St Dairy Lunch
Sassy Onion
Amadeus
Alcyone
Thai Beer
Super Pho

I like all of these places. There are plenty of really good non-chain restaurants in Salem but if you never venture off Lancaster you won't know that. Don't listen to anyone that tells you that we don't have good restaurants here. Either they haven't lived in Salem for the past 7 years when many of the restaurants started or they only stayed on the east side of Salem.
Thanks for the list Silverfall. I was born is Salem (a long time past) and have not been there very often recently. Wandered downtown a couple of years ago and could not find one place that looked good for dinner. My step-granddaughter lives in SE Salem and when my daughter and son-in-law go there, they have never found a place to rave about. So, now I have your list and we will check some of your recommendations out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem