Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2012, 11:26 AM

218 posts, read 376,593 times

Advertisements

I was reading on the Salem-Kezier unified school district site about some school boundries in the West area have changed. I personally with my family are moving to Salem ( west area) in June 2012. My daughter is going into the 3rd grade and i want to make sure I pick the right area. I hear that Harritt Elem. has a spanish emerged program which really makes me happy to hear. Seeing that I grew up with the same options when I was a child and it helped me learn Spanish at a young age. Are there any other schools that do the same thing in the area? I am trying to find online also a Map I can buy for me to put push pins in of the schools, bus routes, and areas to rent or buy. Any help would greatly be appreciated. From what I have read previously Clear Lake is a great school as well so I am looking into that area as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 11:35 AM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
Harritt and Grant are Spanish immersion programs. The school boundary map is on the school district site. You can print it out if you want. There will be more boundary changes as the new south Salem elementary opens, and two schools close. You can also punch in an address and it will tell you the school that address feeds into. That is the school finder button on that link I put on here.

THere isn't a map that has all of those things on there. Cherriots is the bus system and they have their routes online but I know they are going through "route review" right now and many of those may change.

Old 01-03-2012, 12:38 PM

Cherriots is that the bus system name for school buses or city buses routes? I was goggling a house I found and on the map it had a blue bus symbol and I wasn't sure if that was city transportation or school bus stop. I appreciate the information you have provided. I want to make sure I find somewhere that is either really close walking distance, or bus route closeness for my 3rd grader. A lot of people want a " great school" but i come from a strong belief that a great school starts with great parents who get involved. You can't expect the school to be great without parents pitching in, volunteering, and staying ahead of the rest.

Old 01-03-2012, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AztoORegon View Post
Cherriots is that the bus system name for school buses or city buses routes? I was goggling a house I found and on the map it had a blue bus symbol and I wasn't sure if that was city transportation or school bus stop. I appreciate the information you have provided. I want to make sure I find somewhere that is either really close walking distance, or bus route closeness for my 3rd grader. A lot of people want a " great school" but i come from a strong belief that a great school starts with great parents who get involved. You can't expect the school to be great without parents pitching in, volunteering, and staying ahead of the rest.
Oh...Cherriots is the public bus system. They change the bus routes every year in the school district depending on where kids live. Not sure you can count on that to be the same every year. I don't think there is such a thing as bus route closeness with the schools. I have a friend that lives a 5 minute drive from an elementary school but it would be an hour on the bus for her son due to the route. There just isn't a good way to deal with that issue as it changes every year so even if you called the bus service the pick up locations this year might not be the ones next year.

Old 01-04-2012, 07:54 AM

Exactly. Its the same here where I live now. You have to be outside the school by one mile for Elementary schools, and middle schools outside 1.5 miles away. But the route changes. Then with schools not meeting AYP you can be bused to another school that is meeting. I guess my best bet is to HOPEFULLY find a rental that is close enough for her to ride her bike or walk. If not I am sure I can figure things out with work or before/after school care. Thanks so much for your help.

Old 01-04-2012, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Exactly. Its the same here where I live now. You have to be outside the school by one mile for Elementary schools, and middle schools outside 1.5 miles away. But the route changes. Then with schools not meeting AYP you can be bused to another school that is meeting. I guess my best bet is to HOPEFULLY find a rental that is close enough for her to ride her bike or walk. If not I am sure I can figure things out with work or before/after school care. Thanks so much for your help.
Most of the schools have before and after school care in the school. The spots fill up quickly.

Old 01-04-2012, 02:40 PM

Alright, I will look into getting forms in for the 2012-2013 school year coming up for her as soon as we lock in an area. Is it thru the City or the YMCA or it is a school by school basis? I think I should be fine for now..no need to worry myself. Just crossing off the important stuff

Old 01-04-2012, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Alright, I will look into getting forms in for the 2012-2013 school year coming up for her as soon as we lock in an area. Is it thru the City or the YMCA or it is a school by school basis? I think I should be fine for now..no need to worry myself. Just crossing off the important stuff
They are independent contractors that run the programs. It think they are in most, if not all of the schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem