Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 07:31 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1208 View Post
just making stupid jokes, didn't mean to offend. not that anything I said was offensive really if you look at it... And yes, the second one
The problem is that raising a child with Asperger's or Autism is really, really stressful. Making flippant jokes to parents that struggle with their kids just isn't nice. Offensive isn't the word I would use. Insensitive would be more appropriate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2012, 04:26 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,425,820 times
Ok. Mostly I was just poking fun at the New Jersey guy's questions, which I thought were dumb. Please excuse me for doing so in such a serious environment. I have nothing to add to the topic so I will leave and let you carry on with the seriousness and gravity. Everyone's life is stressful, I don't see why making stupid jokes is such a big deal but Ok, obviously I am missing something. Maybe the parents appreciate someone treating the subject with a little levity for once, who knows, maybe they get sick of it being seen as such a big deal all the time. Nothing I said was actually mean towards people with aspergers, it was just stupid humor.

Old 03-11-2012, 05:11 PM

478 posts, read 784,458 times
I like a good laugh too, but this hits close to home. My 14 year old daughter is high-functioning autistic, likely asperger's. Though she's very intelligent, socially she doesn't "get it" a lot of the time. We have a lot of fun but her vulnerability makes me worry, especially as she's getting a little older, since I won't be able to "protect" her and I need to let her grow up.

Old 03-11-2012, 05:45 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
Quote:
Ok. Mostly I was just poking fun at the New Jersey guy's questions, which I thought were dumb. Please excuse me for doing so in such a serious environment. I have nothing to add to the topic so I will leave and let you carry on with the seriousness and gravity. Everyone's life is stressful, I don't see why making stupid jokes is such a big deal but Ok, obviously I am missing something. Maybe the parents appreciate someone treating the subject with a little levity for once, who knows, maybe they get sick of it being seen as such a big deal all the time. Nothing I said was actually mean towards people with aspergers, it was just stupid humor.
Well the problem is that you don't know the OP's reaction hence the insensitivity. If the OP was a personal friend of yours by all means poke fun because you would know how they handle it. To jest to a perfect stranger about something that many people would be sensitive to lacks thoughtfulness. That's what you are missing. Not everyone is like you or thinks like you and as such, they aren't going to react like you. To assume that everyone likes to hear "stupid jokes" about their kid's struggles...eh...I'd rethink that position.

Old 03-11-2012, 05:54 PM

Ok, but again the joke wasn't at the person with aspergers, it was at the New Jersey person. The only stuff I said about people with aspergers was nonsensical and ridiculous to the point where i figured it couldn't possibly be seen as offensive. If the topic had been elephantitis or something I would have said the exact same thing in response to the Jersey guy's question. I think you guys are getting offended over something that isn't really there, namely the point where I (don't) belittle people with aspergers. anyways this whole thing is getting stupid, I propose we drop it.

Old 03-11-2012, 07:08 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,842,423 times
Quote:
I do have aspergers , I was just questioning how they let there son who they knew was Naive go cross country....

Old 03-11-2012, 07:48 PM

Ok, now I really look like a jerk

Old 03-13-2012, 03:54 PM

143 posts, read 144,175 times
I have Asperger's and been denied boarding on a flight because of it. I was traveling alone and got stuck in a layover for a thunderstorm. Overtired + packed airport + big echo-y terminal + two walls of floor to ceiling windows showing thunderstorm = sensory overload. When my flight was finally boarding the flight attendant decided I would not be able to evacuate myself in case of emergency and denied me boarding. Ironically even in that condition I think I have a better chance than most of being able to evacuate because I memorized the emergency exit instructions and know the number of rows between my seat and all the emergency exits. Your joke was not as ridiculous as you thought.

Old 03-13-2012, 05:42 PM

Ok, now I REALLY look like a jerk.

Did they at least give you some travel vouchers?

Old 03-13-2012, 10:30 PM

478 posts, read 784,458 times
Not to rub it in, but ... I'm autistic too. There are a lot of us and we are pretty good at typing here, even if we don't talk a whole lot in person

Edit: Well, maybe I did want to rub it in.

Last edited by OregonYeti; 03-13-2012 at 10:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem