Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2012, 12:18 PM

218 posts, read 376,593 times

Advertisements

I have been reading about the previous Hiring Freeze for the State employees

(On December 13, 2011, Governor Kitzhaber and the Legislature imposed a formal hiring freeze on all positions. The hiring freeze will continue until the end of the 2012 Legislative session; however, it may be extended due to budgetary shortfall)

According to the news release on the 9th of March, the temporary freeze has been lifted!!

Can anyone tell me what the freeze was all about? Do you think that halted jobs from being open and filled? I am reading as much as i can but i would love to see how the area of Salem was effected ( jobs wise)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2012, 07:39 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
The freeze was about the lack of money in the budget. Yes it halted jobs from being filled. We have had a really high unemployment rate in Salem during this recession. We were at 12% there for a while and are down to 9.5%-ish or so now. We had many foreclosures in Salem and I am sure some were state workers that lost their jobs.

Old 03-15-2012, 07:57 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,671,176 times
The legislature just concluded its off-year session to rebalance the budget. Now that agencies know what positions are funded, they can proceed. Lots of empty positions have been eliminated, but some will be filled now.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:54 AM

218 posts, read 376,593 times
Coming from a state that is FILLED with foreclosures and many jobless communities, I can relate to the high numbers. Thankfully I have been employed with a solid job for over 6 years at the same place and I missed that " Lay off" bullet. I have had a couple interviews in Salem already and thankfully I have second income as a freelance writer too. I have saved up more than 8 months income to be safe but you just never know. My husband is transferring with his job so we are not going to move without someone working. I was just reading about the Halt of jobs, and the new stipulations are places on 11 to 1 ratios on supervisors. Glad to hear the unemployment rate is slowly decreasing for you as well. All the information you provided was greatly appreciated.

Old 03-20-2012, 03:59 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,328,019 times
Aside from Parks, Recreation, Etc. Most of the jobs were welfare to work for the graduating Chemekata classes funded by the state. They want to keep the program going so they place welfare recipients into Human Resources classes at the CC, and then place them in state welfare department positions which they create as needed, even if they are not needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem
View detailed profiles of: