U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2007, 09:22 PM

1,082 posts, read 4,478,804 times

Advertisements

I am interested in a job here. I am not interested in commuting beyond a 10 minute drive. What is it like here, what does it look like, is it a giant suburb to Portland, is it all flat, is it all strip malls, or what? I am in my fifties and this would be either a transitional move or a permanent one, I am not sure which. I live in the city now but am sick of the noise, dirt and traffic, and the desert climate. I would probably rent a condo if I could.

Plus it looks about an hour to the ocean and an hour to the mountains. Is that right?

Last edited by esya; 09-14-2007 at 09:24 PM.. Reason: forgot something
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2007, 01:52 AM

5,765 posts, read 10,921,677 times
Woodburn is known locally as 'Mexico.' If you say, "I'm driving up to the outlet stores in Mexico," everyone will know what you mean.

That being said, not ALL of Woodburn is 'Mexico' - probably about 60% is. It has its nice parts. It's a bit far from Portland to feel like a contiguous suburb, although it is in the Portland metro area. There are some large stores along the I-5 corridor, but most of the city is not like that.

Old 09-15-2007, 01:52 AM

38 posts, read 224,343 times
Yes, Woodburn is about an hour from both the coast and the mountains. It is far enough from Portland that I wouldnt consider it part of the metropolitan area (Wilsonville is about the southern extent of the PDX metro area; although some people count the Portland and Salem area as one large metro area, in which case Woodburn would be included). The geography of the town itself is mostly flat, but it affords awesome views of Mt. Hood on a clear day. There are a few strip malls, and the west side of Woodburn is dominated by a large outlet mall. If you are a White, Black or Asian American, you would be a minority, as the town is approaching a 60% Hispanic population, and a good share of the white folk are 1st and 2nd generation Russian immigrants. If this would be a problem for you, then I probably wouldn't suggest living there. There are a number of communities within a 10 minute or so drive of Woodburn, most notably Canby, Wilsonville and Newberg. Salem/Keizer, is also about a 20 minute drive away.

Last edited by GueroLoco; 09-15-2007 at 02:01 AM..

Old 09-15-2007, 02:02 AM

5,765 posts, read 10,921,677 times
I would add that the drive between Salem and Woodburn is pretty boring. I'd much rather live in Woodburn than commute from Salem TO Woodburn all the time. But then again, I speak Spanish and know my way around a carniceria. If you are willing to be sociable, you'll find a lot of neighbors in Woodburn who will look out for you, too, although there is something of a youth gang problem in parts of the city.

Old 09-15-2007, 08:00 AM

Well that's interesting information. Is there condo or well kept smaller housing on the east side of town? Is Spanish language a necessity? Will not being Catholic curtail my social life? Who owns all the flower farms? How far away are the nearest hilly areas for housing, bec I saw one post that recommended NOT living in the flat part of the Willamette Valley.

Old 09-15-2007, 08:42 AM

1,458 posts, read 5,608,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esya View Post
Well that's interesting information. Is there condo or well kept smaller housing on the east side of town? Is Spanish language a necessity? Will not being Catholic curtail my social life? Who owns all the flower farms? How far away are the nearest hilly areas for housing, bec I saw one post that recommended NOT living in the flat part of the Willamette Valley.
The "flat part" recommendation is silly.

If I was going to avoid anything myself, it would be hilly areas.

In the flat land, living by a river could be an issue, but that almost goes without saying.

The Willamette Valley has some of the best soil in the world, and its deep. As far as gardening, I'd almost prefer that flat land.

About 2 years ago, I made a web page on the "Missoula Lake Floods" because the Missoula Floods have a lot to do with why the Willamette Valley has such good soil.

Do a search on that - you might find it interesting. Its also the reason for the particular shape of the Columbia River Gorge.

Old 09-15-2007, 09:31 AM

206 posts, read 582,224 times
ne salem and woodburn is " mexico" i live in ne salem and hate it most of the people that work in fast food all mexican not many white live there are work there, parts of woodburn is very nice off the 5 freeway alot of nice stores parts of woodburn is very run down and dirty

Old 09-15-2007, 10:01 AM

Well, I live in central Denver and work all over the state of Colorado with many fine people of hispanic origin, so I guess I don't have the same perceptions of "mexicans" as so many people seem to. I guess it would be nice to have english speakers at service jobs but you could just as easily blame the employers who don't train anybody.

On the other hand I don't mind hippies or liberals; and I definitely don't want to live in a conservative, white flight "safe from crime" "good for young children" suburban area. I am looking for a smaller friendly city or larger town that is close enough to an urban area to not forget that there is a world out there.

Of course, we all want safety from crimes. I have lived in an "inner city" for 10 years, two locations, and crime has not been an issue; what is an issue is high traffic, traffic noise, traffic dirt and generally degraded quality of life due to all the driving around we seem to do in our country.

Old 09-15-2007, 11:57 AM

38 posts, read 224,343 times
Given the above information, I think you would be fine living in Woodburn. Not being Catholic shouldn't be too much of a social hindrance; just being friendly and willing to talk with neighbors goes a long way socially, no matter where you are. Most of the people in Woodburn are able to speak and understand English, so I wouldnt necessarily worry about learning Spanish. Although, Im sure it would garner greater community respect being able to speak with recent arrivals in their language. Not to mention that learning Spanish is fun and easy, and you could get help from a native speaker while at the same time teaching them some English.

The east side of Woodburn isnt what Id consider the best kept side of town. Id definitely look into a place closer to the center of town, or west of the outlet mall (to avoid all the clamor of people going to and from shopping and freeway interchanges). And I wouldnt worry about the land being flat. Flooding isnt really too much of an issue these days in the Willamette Valley, as many of the moutain tributaries to major rivers have long been dammed due to massive flood control efforts to reclaim Valley wetlands for agriculture and urban growth. Besides, Ive always found the flat land in the Valley to be the best for gardening and the like. Just dont have the river in your backyard, and you should be fine.

Last edited by GueroLoco; 09-15-2007 at 12:29 PM..

Old 09-15-2007, 10:39 PM

Default woodburn

thank you, I appreciate the information. I have been to Oregon many times but visiting and picking a place to find a home can be very different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem