Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2012, 04:29 PM

218 posts, read 376,593 times

Advertisements

First off, thank you to all who have been my guide, inspiration, go to search fellow members. I could not have explored Oregon living in another state without everyones imput. We ( my husband, and two kids and I ) have landed in the Meadows area of Keizer, and I could not tell you how happy I am with my decision. Kids everywhere, great walking areas, breath taking homes and community. It has been an extremly long time since I have felt happy and content on where I was living. Our daughters school is literally across the street which I have always dreamed of. We live off the main River Rd, in town and daily we cruise to find new places, get lost only to find our way back home that much easier. I applied for a State job a few months back, didn't hear to much from it, no denial either...then the day we move in, I get a letter that I was selected and the pay if 40% more than I was making in Arizona. I have my 2nd interview next week, so I hope all goes well. We could not be more excited living here. Sorry for those I left behind in Arizona truly I am, they are surely missing out. Its rained more than sunshine since we have been here but we love it. Specially the kids love the rain. I will post some pictures soon, thank you once again for the great advice and wisdom.

P.s Places we have been
River front park
Keizer Rapids park
Beat Festival ( this weekend)
Wednesday and Saturday Farmers markets
Gilbert house
Pick your own strawberry patches
Downtown mall

Still looking around for more free stuff to do with the kids...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2012, 11:12 AM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
Welcome

Unfortunately our summer isn't very summerish so far this year.

I think I put Silverfalls State Park and North Fork on your list, right? Water is still too cold but when it gets hotter, in theory, you need to go.

Old 06-30-2012, 06:45 PM

Yeah we have to keep telling our self we must wait till its a little warmer for SilverFalls...we can't wait to go. So many picture opportunities await us. The Beat festival was this weekend, but it seems as though the rain won't allow it to be so much fun specially the fire shows haha.

Old 06-30-2012, 06:53 PM

899 posts, read 2,941,350 times
Hi
So happy your move went well and your beginning to enjoy the area.
Have you be out to EZ Orchards on Hazel Green & Cordon Rd, thats the best for
fruit and vegies.
When you have time bring the kids and come out to Oregon Gardens, we have 7 hens
in a pent house type coup in our market garden and they are learning to beg for goodies..
Just a neat group of little ladies..Our childrens garden is great fun too..Bring a picnic and enjoy
the day.
Have a safe weekend

Old 07-08-2012, 10:57 AM

1,181 posts, read 3,806,371 times
Not free, but Oregon Gardens in Silverton is one of my favorite places in Oregon. My daughter loves going there too.

Old 07-15-2012, 08:42 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,328,019 times
I was glad to see you got to make it to the 4th of July celibration in Independence. What did you think of it. Wild Wild West days are the end of July in Dallas.

Old 07-20-2012, 09:19 PM

I will have to check that Wild Wild West out. We have been staying local, no need to go far for fun I tell ya. We went to Silver Falls and swam and hiked, we have been to riverfront way to many times but always a blast, a couple drives on the 99E just for kicks. The clouds are back FINALLY today, I don't like the heat any more, I can't stand it. Would rather be cold haha

Old 08-03-2012, 12:13 PM

53 posts, read 97,143 times
I'm very happy for you.

I am actually looking to move from Salem to Arizona, lol. Where you say you are tired of the heat, I am tired of the grey skies and rain. I'm only 32, my bones shouldn't be hurting from the cold and rain! LOL

But I don't want to rain on your parade (pun intended ). I've lived in Keizer, just left it early this year actually to move back out South because it's so much closer to my work and my son's school, but Keizer was kind of nice, I'm sure you'll like it. It kind of had a small-town feel to it, as if it wasn't directly connected to big ol' Salem.

I am also a state worker, but again, unlike you, can't wait to leave it. We're complete opposites, it's kind of funny, lol. But I remember the excitement of getting this job and I wish you the very best!! If you don't mind me asking, what agency? You could PM me if you want to answer but don't want to do it on here. I'm just curious if it's mine, since we are hiring right now.

Old 08-03-2012, 12:19 PM

53 posts, read 97,143 times
By the way, Keizer has a park with splash fountains for the kids to play in. Chalmers Jones Park, 930 Chemawa Rd NE. It's a large park with a gazebo, tons of picnic tables, a skatepark and the splash fountains. I used to take my son there when he was younger and we would picnic and he would play in the water in the summers. Also, do you know about the Kroc Center? Very cool, you should check it out.

Salem KROC - Salem, Oregon

(And it's cheap because the intention was to give underpriveledged kids something fun to do )

Old 08-04-2012, 09:01 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,328,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefanie99 View Post
I'm very happy for you.

I am actually looking to move from Salem to Arizona, lol. Where you say you are tired of the heat, I am tired of the grey skies and rain. I'm only 32, my bones shouldn't be hurting from the cold and rain! LOL

But I don't want to rain on your parade (pun intended ). I've lived in Keizer, just left it early this year actually to move back out South because it's so much closer to my work and my son's school, but Keizer was kind of nice, I'm sure you'll like it. It kind of had a small-town feel to it, as if it wasn't directly connected to big ol' Salem.

I am also a state worker, but again, unlike you, can't wait to leave it. We're complete opposites, it's kind of funny, lol. But I remember the excitement of getting this job and I wish you the very best!! If you don't mind me asking, what agency? You could PM me if you want to answer but don't want to do it on here. I'm just curious if it's mine, since we are hiring right now.
There is always someplace for everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem