Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 02:32 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,336,622 times

Advertisements

Ahhh, are you looking at the right Dallas. The tank is on the south city limit at the end of Main street, and the resevoirs are west and south west of town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2012, 07:05 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,440,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nester2 View Post
Thanks for the link...a bit disconcerting I would think for the citizens of Dallas?
Not really. Most of the environmental impact from mills tends to be soil contamination and doesn't spread around much at this point. There may be some leakage into the water table but that's likely long done by now. And it's certainly not limited to Dallas, there are abandoned mills all over Oregon.

Some like The Old Mill in Bend are bigger economic contributors now then when they were sawing logs. Many more are pieces of empty land and some, like the one there in Dallas, is ripe for development due to it's location. Developers know this and just factor cleanup costs (frequently scraping off the top two feet of soil or so) into their calculations.

Old 09-08-2012, 09:03 AM

The log yard is in a floodplain and goes down 15 feet.

Old 09-09-2012, 10:53 AM

28 posts, read 88,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
Ahhh, are you looking at the right Dallas. The tank is on the south city limit at the end of Main street, and the resevoirs are west and south west of town.
Sorry, didn't take the time to write clearly... had one foot out the door to get a bike ride in before it got too hot So what I meant to say was that yes, I saw the water storage tank east of the log yard area and that I had found two reservoirs on the map that were north of town. And now I see about five reservoirs south of town. Thanks!

Old 09-09-2012, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
Not really. Most of the environmental impact from mills tends to be soil contamination and doesn't spread around much at this point. There may be some leakage into the water table but that's likely long done by now. And it's certainly not limited to Dallas, there are abandoned mills all over Oregon.

Some like The Old Mill in Bend are bigger economic contributors now then when they were sawing logs. Many more are pieces of empty land and some, like the one there in Dallas, is ripe for development due to it's location. Developers know this and just factor cleanup costs (frequently scraping off the top two feet of soil or so) into their calculations.
Good to know it doesn't keep spreading and leaking into the water! I can see where this would present an expensive clean-up though. Yes, the abandoned mills are everywhere. And you're right, The Old Mill District in Bend is very nice. I really like what they've done to the main building with REI in it - a fun place to shop, drink coffee and walk along the river. Maybe Dallas can create something similar eventually. I like knowing that there is potential for growth in Dallas. I really like Dallas - my only concern is that it may be too small for me. I have been used to the vast suburbia of Vancouver in that I could get to just about anything I needed or wanted in about 10 minutes and PDX 15 minutes. I liked the convenience. We are 20-35 minutes from any stores here in Central Oregon and I find it a bit of an adjustment. But, in the last couple of months I have been slowing adapting so it's probably going to be ok. Besides, as my husband keeps reminding me, I'm not going to be a big consumer anymore We are tightening our belts for the long haul trying to make sure we don't run out of money before we run out of life! My brother lives in a small town very much like Dallas and he is encouraging me that the compromises are worth the life style.

So, so far we haven't seen any homes that we absolutely must run over and buy...but we keep thinking something will pop up in the next couple of months. Also, we are looking at Albany. I have read all of the Albany threads- some not so glowing... but it has a some things that I like. Some of the areas are not to my liking but it is worth considering anyway. Taxes are higher there though... This is a very difficult decision to make and we are trying to consider all of our wants and needs and then of course factor in the harsh reality of what we can really do. The repeating theme of most city-data forums I think...

Old 09-09-2012, 02:16 PM

You can get anything you want at Alice's Resturant. .................

Actuall you can get it in Salem. Dallas to anywhere in Salem is less time than getting across the bridge form Vancover to Portland. I have spent more time crossing that bridge on most any day during business hours than what it takes me to drive the 45 miles to Portland from here.

......................... Except for Alice .

Old 09-09-2012, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
You can get anything you want at Alice's Resturant. .................

Actuall you can get it in Salem. Dallas to anywhere in Salem is less time than getting across the bridge form Vancover to Portland. I have spent more time crossing that bridge on most any day during business hours than what it takes me to drive the 45 miles to Portland from here.

......................... Except for Alice .
Yes, my husband's and brother's point exactly. I think we need to see the "great" house that has most of the stuff we want. When that happens I think it will all click. (BTW - we used to love to listen to kink radio on Thanksgiving Day Haven't done for many years - do they still play the original long version of Alice's Restaurant on Thanksgiving?)

Old 09-09-2012, 05:38 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nester2 View Post
Yes, my husband's and brother's point exactly. I think we need to see the "great" house that has most of the stuff we want. When that happens I think it will all click. (BTW - we used to love to listen to kink radio on Thanksgiving Day Haven't done for many years - do they still play the original long version of Alice's Restaurant on Thanksgiving?)
I don't know about KINK, but KLCC 89.7 out of Eugene plays it every Thanksgiving. You should be able to pick it up in Dallas with no problem.

Old 09-25-2012, 07:49 PM

1 posts, read 2,517 times
Hi everyone. We just (today) made the decision to buy a house in Dallas, OR. We will be moving from Battle Ground, WA. Like Nester2, we have just retired and are on a fixed income. We bought it for all the positive reason you have all discussed. I think we will like it there.
Steve P mentioned the mill being actioned off.... it just so happenes that the house we bought backs up to the mill property... is there anything we should know about this property? We were told a company bought it to pull the scrap metal, true?
P.S. I'd love to meet all of you at some point... it would be nice to make new friends!
Denise

Old 09-26-2012, 03:42 PM

Yes it is true. Also I am easy to find go up past the mill on th west side until you run out of City. I am the last house in the City with the best view of the Old Log Dump.

Oh yes .... Welcome to Dallas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem