U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 07:37 PM

10 posts, read 29,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbutler8722 View Post
I wouldn't recommend salem to anyone to live. it is a piece of **** town. If you are thinking of moving to Salem , drive down Lancaster from one end to the other and you will change your mind. There are nice places in Oregon , but for the most part the state blows. It rains here all of the time. It is almost July and we still have clouds , rain , and cold air. It is just disgusting. Unless you are someone that likes the rain don't move here!

I can't wait to leave this state and as I am either driving off or flying away I am going to flip the state off.
Because driving down one street represents the whole town? Lancaster is all retail so of course it wouldn't be anything special. Almost all towns Salems size has a road like that.

I just spent a week there and there are a lot of nice areas of Salem. Most of the fun to be had seems to be centered around the accessibility to all the outdoorsy stuff that surrounds Salem. I didn't feel like there was a lot going on in terms of popular bars/clubs, but since I'm moving there for law school that wasn't a priority for me.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2010, 08:56 PM

306 posts, read 364,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clear2land View Post
We were in Salem just last week and drove the length of Commercial Street. I once lived in Salem and liked it. We did not rate the area but it did look thriving. Property taxes can be high in Salem.

Allergy shots will help you through the sneeze season.

Dan

If you drove Commercial you drove the ugliest part of town outside of Lancaster. Difference is out south the new homes, apartments,etcc are on hilltops where the trees have all been removed very SoCal looking. There is alot of pollen but doable with meds. I think your clinic is on westside unless there are others (?) and that can be a problem with just one bridge for all the traffic going that way. Traffic in Salem in general sucks, and the drivers are becoming more aggressive not sure if it's more of that socal influence or just the way things are going everywhere. You will probably find yourself heading to Portland for alot of things so you may want to consider a commute and live somewhere in-between

Old 10-15-2010, 08:50 PM

43 posts, read 193,860 times
Salem has the mens federal prison.the state mental institution.And the state juvie jail.So when people are let out of these places ,where do you thnk they end up.In the community of course.It also has a high percentage of meth heads for its size.(150,000)Therfore property crimes and Id theft are rampant .When I lived there I remember a guy shooting up a bunch of police cars in Keizer.(a bedroom community ofsalem).I also remember another guy(could be the same guy <dont remember that much) tryingto burndown the courthouse in downtown salem.Swat was called.I remeber the walgreens in keizer being robbed moments after I finished shopping with my 4 yr old daughter.It has a high crime rate for its size.Oh yeah we were staying in the mid salem motel6 on night (market and 1-5)and the police busted some people running a meth lab in one of the rooms.

Old 10-15-2010, 09:20 PM

14,705 posts, read 35,585,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdddydaug View Post
Salem has the mens federal prison.the state mental institution.And the state juvie jail.So when people are let out of these places ,where do you thnk they end up.In the community of course.It also has a high percentage of meth heads for its size.(150,000)Therfore property crimes and Id theft are rampant .When I lived there I remember a guy shooting up a bunch of police cars in Keizer.(a bedroom community ofsalem).I also remember another guy(could be the same guy <dont remember that much) tryingto burndown the courthouse in downtown salem.Swat was called.I remeber the walgreens in keizer being robbed moments after I finished shopping with my 4 yr old daughter.It has a high crime rate for its size.Oh yeah we were staying in the mid salem motel6 on night (market and 1-5)and the police busted some people running a meth lab in one of the rooms.

First of all it is an Oregon state law that when someone commits and crime and gets sent to one of the Penn here in Salem they MUST go back to their home county at release. That was passed because of exactly what you were talking about that Salem was having to deal with everyone else's criminals. That hasn't been the case for about 8 -10 years now since they passed that law.

Salem has a very average crime rate for its size. We have a lower violent crime rate compared to national cities of the same size and a slightly higher crime rate for our size for petty crimes like car break-ins and thefts.

You are entitled to not like Salem but please don't make untrue statements about the city.

Old 10-16-2010, 12:06 PM

15,296 posts, read 14,713,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azgirlnd View Post
I am thinking about taking a healthcare job in Salem. Any pros and cons to moving there? I currently live in Arizona and have lived in North Dakota and am looking for a fun city that is not too big or too small and has a temperate climate. How is also for allergies?
If you have lived in North Dakota, you are going to love Oregon winters.

If you have lived in Arizona, you are going to love Oregon summers.

If you are allergic to grass or tree pollen, you are going to suffer. In the summer, the TV weather forecast includes the pollen count.

I have never heard anyone call Salem a "fun city." Ever. It is pretty close to the coast and the mountains. The Willamette River is just to look at. It's too polluted for swimming or fishing. There's a nice riverfront park where they have events in the summer.

Be sure to live on the same side of the river as your job. You really don't want to deal with the bridge commute, particularly when they close lanes for maintenance or to clear an accident.

Old 12-24-2010, 03:23 PM

3 posts, read 4,601 times
stay i arizona please you move here you are moving to hell.

Old 12-24-2010, 03:29 PM

3 posts, read 4,601 times
amen salem is the hell hole of the untied states i cannot wait to leave either. I dont like the people they are standofish and stuck up and self centered. The criminal justice system is more corrupt then macon county georgia. There is no cultural hertiage no architecture. The music aint music its nosie. The only good thing about salem is you find out you do find you dont wanna live here

Old 12-24-2010, 03:36 PM

8,000 posts, read 15,453,428 times
Nice spelling and capitalization. It does lend to your credibility in a big way.

Salem is strongly Latino/Ukrainian Illegal’s, but it is a great city to live in. It isn’t really a place for the immature or heavy party freak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem