Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2013, 08:44 AM

1 posts, read 2,025 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
My husband and I are researching the option of opening a small scale, high quality, gourmet bakery in the Stayton/Sublimity area. This is not a doughnut shop but rather focuses on fresh bread and pastries with the possibility of providing breakfast and lunch with a local emphasis and a real farm to table experience (specialty sandwiches, quiches, whole grain pancakes, fresh fruit etc...). Do you think the Stayton area would frequent such as an establishment? Most dining in the area seems to be more traditional, diner style food. Is this the preference or has no one tried a healthier, more sustainable option? Any info would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2013, 12:49 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
Independent bakeries have had a hard time since the supermarkets put on their on-site bakeries. It's even more difficult when Costco comes in and sells high quality baked goods at a low price.

However, in my area we used to have a restaurant with their own bakery on-site that sold delicious baked goods. You could barely get a table; they were swamped all the time. So, I think that the right combination of quality baked goods and breakfast and sandwiches might make it if it is well done.

There is money in Stayton, but you would have to do your own research about how many eateries there are and what they are selling.

I know one bakery in San Diego county where people drive 100 miles each way to buy bread, but I've never seen anyone else ever pull that off with a bakery.

Old 05-10-2013, 01:31 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,334,839 times
There is a couple making a go of it in Coos Bay/North Bend. Same idea. Been there about 3 years.

Old 05-10-2013, 02:51 PM

15,577 posts, read 40,430,010 times
I think it could support it. Keep your demographics in mind and don't go too high. While there is wealth there, it is a middle class community like Salem. Just keep that in mind while you are creating your business plan.

Old 05-10-2013, 02:56 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,717,994 times
It has a good chance of working. It's been awhile since I've been over there, but unless there's something similar, you could do okay. I'd definitely go with the breakfast/lunch idea, and you might think about a reservation-only dinner once every couple of weeks or so.

Back when I used to live in that area, the local community seemed pretty welcoming and supportive of new businesses. It's just far away enough from Salem for people to appreciate having nice places close at hand.

Old 05-10-2013, 08:57 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,334,839 times
Just make sure you have enough reserve to get through for two years and you should make it.

Old 08-10-2013, 01:35 PM

3 posts, read 6,901 times
My wife and I are always on the lookout for a bakery that can do good mousse desserts.

Buying local is big, so your farm to table would play. I doubt there would be any resistance to less commercial fare, you just need to be effective in getting the word out and provide a friendly, comfortable ambiance. Maybe scan Yelp, TripAdvisor and such to glean comments that make or break similar businesses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem