Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 04:27 PM

32,539 posts, read 47,619,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DereknDonna View Post
Cheaper as in, we live on SSI. So, 550 a month MAX including utilities. Thanks!
It's hard to imagine any rentals for $550 a month that includes all your utilities.

Lets see, you might be using $150 of electricity in the winter, $40 for your trash pickup, $50 for your water bill, and that is only if you are very careful with your usage. Did you want cable TV and internet included, too? That would be another $100. Mabe $100 for property taxes, $25 a month for insurance, and is there a mortgage on the property?

A landlord would have to be nuts to include all your utilities at that price level. I've heard of tenants using $350 a month in electricity. It's not hard, if you aren't careful how you use the heat.

I think you can find a small place to rent for $500 a month, but not one that is going to include all your utilities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2013, 04:28 PM

Oops webpage user malfunction. Apologies.

Old 09-28-2013, 10:23 PM

13 posts, read 46,481 times
Well that stinks. We currently pay $200 a month for our studio and water/sewer/garbage is covered. We pay electric but it is nowhere near that high, even in the winter. Are there places that are low income that you know of? We only have $700 a month to live on. This is for everything, so I know we would qualify. Thanks again for any help.

Old 09-29-2013, 05:22 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,399,811 times
The only way I can envision you paying $200/month for a rental in Oregon is a moldy camp trailer 20 miles from "civilization" (a country store and two pump gas station,) over hills and up a cliff, or 50 miles via dirt road. While it sounds romantic (and it is,) I seriously doubt it'd be a good lifestyle for someone on disability.

I guess you could look into a trailer park of some sort, but then you'd have to be given or purchase an RV/Trailer to live there. I found the Flavel RV Park - but they're $355/month, here in Portland area. You might find something similar in a cheaper city.

Perhaps you should look deeper into an assisted living situation? The state picks up the bulk of the check and you'll have a better life that way. Some states will even work it that you get paid to take care of your husband and still live with him.

Old 09-29-2013, 10:49 PM

13 posts, read 46,481 times
States will actually pay for that? We have a doctors note stating I am his full time care giver and Idaho still does nothing for that. I wonder how I could find out if Oregon does that. And thank you for your advice! I appreciate it!

Old 09-30-2013, 09:05 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,399,811 times
Quote:
States will actually pay for that? We have a doctors note stating I am his full time care giver and Idaho still does nothing for that.
Some will, because it's cheaper then putting them in an assisted living home.

Old 09-30-2013, 10:37 AM

15,518 posts, read 40,261,953 times
Oregon has a payment program for relatives that are full-time care providers. I know because I was looking at this with my mom and sister. I don't know about husband and wife though.

Old 09-30-2013, 04:00 PM

It's unlikely that Oregon has benefits for people who are moving to Oregon just hoping to take advantage of benefits. I would assume that benefits are for residents and people moving in would have to establish residency before receiving benefits.

I thought the assisted living, caretaker thing was a Social Security disability program Perhaps OP needs to talk to her SS office?

Old 09-30-2013, 07:28 PM

15 posts, read 64,564 times
Quote:
Well that stinks. We currently pay $200 a month for our studio and water/sewer/garbage is covered. We pay electric but it is nowhere near that high, even in the winter. Are there places that are low income that you know of? We only have $700 a month to live on. This is for everything, so I know we would qualify. Thanks again for any help.
Just out of curiosity, where do you rent a studio for $200/month? I think you mentioned Idaho in your thread here, but not the city.

Old 09-30-2013, 07:51 PM

15,518 posts, read 40,261,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
It's unlikely that Oregon has benefits for people who are moving to Oregon just hoping to take advantage of benefits. I would assume that benefits are for residents and people moving in would have to establish residency before receiving benefits.

I thought the assisted living, caretaker thing was a Social Security disability program Perhaps OP needs to talk to her SS office?
Yes you do need to be an Oregon resident. I can't remember who I called about it. It was a couple of years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem