Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2013, 04:49 PM

318 posts, read 628,874 times

Advertisements

I grew up and lived most of my life in Renton, suburb of Seattle. I'm 70 and retired, like fly fishing, golf and good Asian food. Two years ago I made the mistake of moving to a small town in Western North Carolina. I hate it. I'm waiting for my house to sell so I can move back to the PNW. I'd been thinking of moving to Salem since a daughter lives nearby in Aumsville. Now I'm wondering if Vancouver, WA, would be a better alternative (no income tax, closer to Portland and big-city stuff). I like living near a big city, but not in one, with access to good medical care and good restaurants. Any thoughts or comparisons between the two cities, Salem and Vancouver, or a better alternative?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2013, 04:36 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,619,531 times
Presuming you're retired, depending on what kind of income you have, it may be exempt from OR taxation as well, in which case you'd benefit more from Oregon's lack of sales tax.

State Taxation of Retirement Income in Oregon - Yahoo Voices - voices.yahoo.com

IMO neither Vancouver nor Salem has particularly great restaurants, though I'd say Vancouver is slightly better on that score, likewise off-peak it's a pretty short hop to areas of very good dining in Pdx. Likewise you have access to a major airport, better hospitals, etc.

My major concern with Vancouver is the bridge situation. While you wouldn't be traveling in rush hour, I do think you'd find I-5/205 traffic dictating when you traveled down. Coming back up to the city on a Sunday afternoon can be a snarl, and the I-5 traffic north of the curves and at the Interstate bridge can be stop and go. And this is even before they settle on actually working on a new I-5 bridge, which may or may not be a toll bridge, but in any case will probably make for a rough year(s) of river crossing.

Eugene (particularly north Eugene) might be a third option. Like Vancouver it's about an hour, but with much less traffic to get there. The metro area is about 350k. Or perhaps a southern Pdx suburb like Wilsonville?

What sort of rent/purchase price are you looking at on housing, as that will be a major consideration.

Old 11-19-2013, 05:29 PM

15,577 posts, read 40,430,010 times
I don't know the Vancouver restaurant scene.

Salem has a decent restaurant scene. We've had a lot of new restaurants open in the past few years. You will get better Asian food in Portland but we have some good ones down here, China Gourmet has been open less than a year and they have good Chinese food. Red Ginger has some good Asian/PNW fusion food. Hong Kong house is good too. Super Pho has good pho. Adobo Republic opened up this year which is Filipino food but I haven't been there yet.

There is a local food blog called Eat Salem that has restaurant reviews and a list of many of our restaurants in town. Salem and Vancouver are very different to me.

I used to live in Portland and work in Vancouver and going over the bridge was a bear. Traffic is worse now, then back then. I also think you should look at the other things nearby like the vineyards. There are many, many wonderful pairing dinners that happen at the local vineyards. Great food, great wine and often for charity. I'd think about what things you love to do and that may help steer your choice toward one city over another.

Does anyone know if the Camas paper mill is still open? I know many are closed and when I worked in Vancouver we would occasionally get the smell. You'd want to confirm if it is still open and then pick an area out of smell range.

Old 11-20-2013, 04:01 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,619,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
Does anyone know if the Camas paper mill is still open? I know many are closed and when I worked in Vancouver we would occasionally get the smell. You'd want to confirm if it is still open and then pick an area out of smell range.
I still see the plumes of smoke, and their website says they're functional: Georgia-Pacific Camas Mill Overview

That said, I don't think the smell is what it used to be - if it were Fisher's Landing wouldn't be such a 'desirable' part of Vancouver. Even Camas itself attracts a fair amount of the well-heeled.

Old 11-26-2013, 06:31 PM

1,324 posts, read 2,511,006 times
NCDavid understand your desire to head back to PNW have lived in NC for 30 years and still miss Oregon. Now that we are both retired think about a move back but no family in that neck of the woods so don't know......Hope you find a good place you'll enjoy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem