Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 11:05 PM

13 posts, read 52,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Albany's a dump. It's all flat. Corvallis is closer to the Coast Range and has a better overall ambiance.
Ok, I'll check that out. I get my exercise primarily by cycling, so flat is sometimes good.

Ken
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2014, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
I live in Salem because Albany isn't particularly appealing and it is way too small a town for me. It is also why I don't live in any of the surrounding cities. Too small.
Wow, I just checked and found that Salem has a population of above 150,000. I did not realize it was that big. Albany is about 1/3 that size. Where I live now is about 85,000 with Boulder about 10 miles away at around 100,000. I think Salem might be too big and intimidating for me.

Ken

Old 07-29-2014, 11:34 PM

83 posts, read 181,489 times
I agree that it should probably be between Salem and Corvallis. Corvallis is great, but pretty expensive. Salem, as you say, is a little bigger than you are used to, but it really doesn't seem particularly big living here. It is a little "sleepy" for its size, as people on here like to say. Your money will go a little farther in Salem.

Old 07-29-2014, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumauslo View Post
I agree that it should probably be between Salem and Corvallis. Corvallis is great, but pretty expensive. Salem, as you say, is a little bigger than you are used to, but it really doesn't seem particularly big living here. It is a little "sleepy" for its size, as people on here like to say. Your money will go a little farther in Salem.
As I look at the Map, Albany and Corvallis are about 10 driving miles apart. Based on that I assumed that Albany was sort of a bedroom community for Corvallis, but I am guessing based on the responses here, that they are considered distinct entities. Of the homes that we have book marked in the Salem area many are farther than 10 miles from the city, but still have Salem addresses. So I guess its a social measurement rather than geographic distance.

Ken

Old 07-30-2014, 12:00 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,618,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Albany's a dump. It's all flat. Corvallis is closer to the Coast Range and has a better overall ambiance.
I'd qualify that I don't think Albany is as bad as it used to be. And the 'Albany stench' has improved somewhat, though I'd probably still want to look closely at air quality data before living there, particularly east-side. They have 1-2 restaurants that aren't bad, and certainly a lot of chains.

But in general, yes, unless you're choosing Albany for work location or poverty, it would be hard for me to make an argument for Albany. In terms of desirability (amenities, parks, etc.) I'd say it's Salem hands down. Neither has much of a nightlife, but Salem at least has a life.

As Silverfall said, anywhere in the valley is close to 'outdoor' stuff. And Albany/Salem aren't all that far apart (15-20 min depending on precisely where and traffic). In a daily commute or shopping that can add up, but in terms of 'going somewhere' it's fairly inconsequential.

If you see yourself going to Eugene/Corvallis frequently, Albany makes that a bit easier. If you imagine going to Portland regularly, Salem is a bit easier.

Salem sits on the 22 corridor (Detroit Lakes/Jefferson to the east, McMinnvile NW, Lincoln City west) while Albany sits on the 20 corridor (Sweet Home/Jefferson east, Newport west).

Old 07-30-2014, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken WA View Post
As I look at the Map, Albany and Corvallis are about 10 driving miles apart. Based on that I assumed that Albany was sort of a bedroom community for Corvallis, but I am guessing based on the responses here, that they are considered distinct entities. Of the homes that we have book marked in the Salem area many are farther than 10 miles from the city, but still have Salem addresses. So I guess its a social measurement rather than geographic distance.

Ken
Albany was historically a factory/industry town, _definitely_ not a bedroom community. [Bedroom communities of Corvallis would include Philomath on the high end, or Adair Village more middle/working class]

Lots of cities in Oregon are fairly spread out. Salem is 150k, but relatively non-dense at 3200/mi^2 [as you seem to be from WA, if you're familiar with Olympia it is 1/3 the size, but only slightly less dense at 2600/mi^2]. I'd suspect if you looked at south or west salem, you'd find them to be pretty attractive residential areas (though less cheap). A lot of the growth seems to be east side, and there you're seeing a lot of denser apt/condo/town home developments.

If you bike, I'd still say Salem. Albany isn't designed to be bike friendly, imo, certainly not on the main corridors. Get out to the west of the city and you're in prime biking country [and a nice ride up to wine country]. If you want something smaller, look at some of the communities around Salem - Dallas/Silverton/Mt. Angel.

But I'd agree that even though you proposed Albany, Corvallis is much more in line with what you're probably looking for, maybe even McMinnville. Albany is more or less somewhere you live if you have to, not somewhere you up and move to to retire.

Old 07-30-2014, 09:06 PM

83 posts, read 181,489 times
Lots of cities in Oregon are fairly spread out. Salem is 150k, but relatively non-dense at 3200/mi^2 [as you seem to be from WA, if you're familiar with Olympia it is 1/3 the size, but only slightly less dense at 2600/mi^2]. I'd suspect if you looked at south or west salem, you'd find them to be pretty attractive residential areas (though less cheap). A lot of the growth seems to be east side, and there you're seeing a lot of denser apt/condo/town home developments.[/quote]

I would disagree about Oregon cities being particularly spread out. Urban growth boundaries keep things fairly compact. I would agree with south and west Salem being very attractive as residential areas. Or, if you like to be closer in, Bush Park area or Fairmount Hill, though these areas are more expensive.

Old 07-30-2014, 09:51 PM

1,620 posts, read 2,299,955 times
Of the two choices given I'd choose Albany, no Corvallis because the coast is important to you and Newport is a great coastal town. I would however second bler144's McMinnville suggestion as its about the size you want and is within an hour of Portland with all it has to offer.

Old 07-31-2014, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumauslo View Post
I would disagree about Oregon cities being particularly spread out. Urban growth boundaries keep things fairly compact. I would agree with south and west Salem being very attractive as residential areas. Or, if you like to be closer in, Bush Park area or Fairmount Hill, though these areas are more expensive.
I'd disagree, though perhaps it's a matter of perspective being from the east. The UGB restrains the rate of expansion and development, yes, but didn't reduce existing boundaries.

Compare two capitol cities: Salem (city) to Boston (city) in terms of area/population? Perhaps surprising they both sit on roughly 48 mi^2 of land, though Boston has 4x the population. Portland, in contrast, has roughly the same population as Boston, but on nearly 3x the land.

Land area of some other major cities (in mi^2) that are in the same ballpark as Salem: Minneapolis - 55, Miami - 36

Now, certainly, it's not as wide ranging as some other more populated cities (Dallas, KC), but for its scale, it's sitting on a decent chunk of turf.

Old 01-09-2015, 06:24 PM

16 posts, read 18,846 times
SALEM!!! Been here 4 yrs (97304). I can bike everywhere. Go on weekends to capital & join bike club rides. Saturday market is great. Riverfront park always has something going on. I drive to Wallace park with grandkids & play at water, then walk across bridge with g'kids & walk to the capital, mall, children's museum, Riverfront park(carousel).Great hiking 45 min drive East. (Great hiking at Silver falls but crazy in summer&limited trail for dogs) Beach 45 min West..Dallas DRIVE IN (5 Stars!)for summer movies (summer movies free@waterfront park). Wineries locally & plentiful fresh upick farms. Very pet friendly. I'm 52 originally from Seattle & FOUGHT to NOT move here. ("Why would anyone choose to live in OR?") Lived Portland 10 years before Salem. Now i won't move! Oregon is friendly & great for outdoor, active healthy people. Salem is best of all worlds (except Hood River..I'm a water person but Hood River's too pricey) Good luck & welcome!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem