Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2014, 05:10 PM

4 posts, read 6,925 times

Advertisements

My wife has just accepted a new assignment in Salem, while my work can be down from home with internet access. We are young empty nesters with our youngest son a sophomore in college in the East Coast. We have only visited Salem a few times this past year when considering the assignment. My wife will be going out in advance of me in 2 weeks to secure some short term housing while we decide on which area would be best to settle into with a longer term lease. While we greatly enjoy the beauty of the rural areas west of Salem, we would like to have access to some entertainment and restaurants. Don't know the traffic patterns for a reasonable distance to commute into Salem for a regular work schedule and are trying to cast a wide net for where to live. Heard good things about many areas, and we are flexible as we don't have needs for any specific school districts. Any input you may have is greatly appreciated. Is it not practical to look as far as McMinnville or Newberg? Silverton? Dallas? A commute into Salem through wine country and farmland would not seem stressful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2014, 09:48 AM

4,059 posts, read 5,620,293 times
Steve suggests you look at beautiful and serene Dallas, OR.

More seriously, what part of Salem will you be commuting to (Chemeketa-Lancaster/Downtown-WU-Hospital/Keizer), and how long a commute time would be acceptable to you?

Old 10-02-2014, 10:18 AM

15,578 posts, read 40,434,848 times
It is practical to look at Silverton, Dallas, and McMinnville. The drive from McMinnville is nice except when you get behind a string of slow tractors. Newberg would be a cut over to I-5 at Woodburn, then down. I wouldn't commute from there, personally.

What the forum recommends depends on what you are wanting in a city.

Old 10-02-2014, 10:39 AM

4 posts, read 6,925 times
Thank you for the reply and insight. Work is downtown Salem (historic district). I think 30 min of commute in something not stop/start at most is manageable if it was a great community. Things we appreciate in a community......safe, not worried about Did we lock the door?, neighborhood feeling, coffee shop hang out, a great restaurant or two, small but not remote. We realize these are probably common to many people's desires, but the difference in our lives now is that we are empty nesters so school districts no longer play into the mix.

Old 10-02-2014, 02:54 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,620,293 times
McMinnville is likely to run closer to 40 once you factor in getting in/out of each town. It's a solid 25 miles, and not all of it at highway speed.

Silverton should be closer at 25-30ish. In your shoes I'd start there in terms of really checking out the town and pricing housing options before moving on to other options. You could also just consider a smaller neighborhood in west Salem.

Old 10-02-2014, 03:38 PM

899 posts, read 2,942,765 times
Take time and drive out to Silverton its only 15 miles from my house in northeast Salem and a beautiful drive..
Its nice little town and full of things to do..Farm machinery is a slow down during the spring and summer but no that
bad....

Old 10-02-2014, 05:17 PM

15,578 posts, read 40,434,848 times
Downtown Salem to Mac is about 30 minutes. Downtown Salem to Silverton is about the same.

Your criteria are pretty vague and all three cities would meet them. Dallas is the most politically conservative of the group. Silverton is more artsy. Mac is wine country and the largest of the group. Silverton is the smallest.

Old 10-02-2014, 05:29 PM

1,620 posts, read 2,300,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
Downtown Salem to Mac is about 30 minutes. Downtown Salem to Silverton is about the same.

Your criteria are pretty vague and all three cities would meet them. Dallas is the most politically conservative of the group. Silverton is more artsy. Mac is wine country and the largest of the group. Silverton is the smallest.
A good enough reason on its own but it's also closest to the coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem