Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2013, 02:28 PM

2 posts, read 6,934 times

Advertisements

Hello,
My husband and I are moving to Oregon this summer, and I've enjoyed reading through this forum for tips on the area. I am looking for advice on our commute situation. My husband will be working in Hillsboro and I will be going to school at the University of Oregon in Eugene. We were thinking that Salem was the perfect halfway point for both us. What parts of town would you recommend with the following considerations:
-Proximity to the I-5
-Safe area
-younger population (we are in our late 20s...so not looking for the party scene, but not the retirement scene either).

Thank you very much for your help, we appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2013, 02:43 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,924,870 times
Hi... it must be fate... I got to you first... have you searched for this thread topic? It does come up. Others will tell you you can do this. I am going to tell you you cannot. There is much more to a commute than the door to door time it takes. A daily drive from Salem to Hillsboro and back is not trivial. There are websites that can give you the stats on how commute time relates to happiness indices. It isn't good. The longer your commute, the higher your misery index and this has a corrosive effect on long term relationships. Whoever has landed the better job, live in that city or very near it. And why not in it since you were lucky enough to find a job before housing was located. The other spouse will then have to find a job in that city. It can be done.

H

Old 05-07-2013, 03:13 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
South Salem to Eugene would be about 1.25-1.5 hours to campus depending on how fast you drive and traffic in Eugene. It is a fairly straight shot.

Keizer to Eugene would be a solid 1.5 hours.

Salem to Hillsboro would likely be a 1.5-2 hour commute each way unless your husband works off hours to avoid rush hour traffic. 26 into Hillsboro can be a bear. Personally I think it would be nuts. If you lived in Keizer in the ClearLake neighborhood it would cut down on the Hillsboro commute. If you lived in South Salem in the Foxhaven area, you could get on and off quickly as well but it would add time.

Neither of these areas are dominated by a younger population. We don't really have that here.

Old 05-07-2013, 04:31 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,328,019 times
To the University from the south side of Salem will be about 1 1/2 hours or more each way. The same or worse to Hillsboro. From the north side add another half hour. It is not a simple drive across Salem several times a day like Morning, Noon, and Evening. You will need to be a couple of really tough individuals to try this without tossing in the towel after a few months. I think you have acquired a real dilemma. If this is a must do, you have got a lot on your plate to deal with. I am sorry to say I can’t give you much hope of success.

Old 05-07-2013, 04:44 PM

I was thinking about this a bit more. If you don't have classes everyday, and your husband works everyday, then you might want to try and live in Woodburn to shorten his commute and increase yours.

If you live in Clear Lake in Keizer (as close to clear Lake Road as possible), then it would shorten his commute time a bit and you could take the Amtrack down sometimes to Eugene and study on the way down and back. The train station is in downtown Salem. You could gain three hours of study time that way. As you get close to finals that might make some sense.

Is there a reason why you are choosing U of O over PSU, U of Portland, Lewis and Clark, Reed? I just envision two insanely tired people all the time.

Old 05-07-2013, 04:50 PM

2 posts, read 6,934 times
Thank you all SO MUCH for this very helpful information. Knowing few people in the area and no one with this predicament, I had no idea where to turn. Your suggestions are very helpful.

I chose UO because it's a better school and program for what I am studying. Silverfall I think your suggestion about the Amtrak is a great one, I saw other folks looking into that on this forum too.

I will continue to do my research on the area, especially with those areas/neighborhoods suggested. I welcome more advice as well! It's very helpful!

Thanks again! =)

Old 05-08-2013, 10:22 AM

Just remember the Amtrak ride is at limited times, and is often cancelled. It is really set up to transport legislators to and from the Capital. The cost is about double driving yourself. It will cost between $17.00 and $22.00 each way and at this time the majority of trips is being done by "BUS". Plan on 1 1/2 hours from station to station, plus wait time and delays.

Amtrak - Reservations - Fare Finder You're looking for EUG and SLM.

Old 05-08-2013, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
Just remember the Amtrak ride is at limited times, and is often cancelled. It is really set up to transport legislators to and from the Capital. The cost is about double driving yourself. It will cost between $17.00 and $22.00 each way and at this time the majority of trips is being done by "BUS". Plan on 1 1/2 hours from station to station, plus wait time and delays.

Amtrak - Reservations - Fare Finder You're looking for EUG and SLM.
Yeah it isn't something she could do on a regular basis for sure, but I was thinking more of finals time when you need that extra time to study.

Old 05-08-2013, 01:47 PM

They used to offer a ride book, but I didn't see it this time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem