U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-29-2008, 10:54 PM

7 posts, read 32,255 times

Advertisements

We might be moving to the Salem area with in the next few months from Redmond Oregon. I am looking for a place to rent that is in a good neighborhood and school for my 5 year old son. We will be renting at first but when I begin teaching hope to purchase a home again. Any suggestions on Keizer area or surrounding for good schools or neighborhoods?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2008, 12:48 AM

14,719 posts, read 35,633,760 times
In Keizer the schools that get the best ratings and have a good "community" reputation are Gubser Elementary and Clear Lake is starting to get stronger ratings.

If you want to live in Salem itself schools with good ratings are Schirle Elementary (I'm biased since this is my son's school but it is great), Sumpter and Pringle (although I'm hearing a lot of overcrowding at these schools due to large amounts of construction in these districts). Candalaria is also good and McKinley gets good ratings as well. Lee is a new school so there isn't a lot to rate yet. Wright elementary also has a solid reputation.

"Good" neighborhoods are down south and out west. Englewood in downtown area is also nice. Jan Ree in Northeast Salem. Keizer has the Gubser and Clear Lake neighborhoods which are nice. The area over by Cummings Elementary is also a very stable neighborhood in Keizer. In the Gubser area, you'll want to watch traffic. I know with the Keizer station going in, what were quiet streets have become busy as people weave their way through the neighborhood. You'll want to watch that.

Good is relative, but I think all of these areas are "healthy" neighborhoods, meaning houses tend to appreciate and sell well. Good resale, stable, etc.

Old 03-01-2008, 09:13 AM

5,273 posts, read 13,213,270 times
The north & west areas are excellent. I hear the schools are fine. I would avoid the south & east part of Keizer.

Old 06-20-2008, 05:40 PM

1 posts, read 7,746 times
I am thinking of relocating to Oregon (somewhere near Portland). Mainly due to the job scarce here in Canton, Ohio. My son is 11 years old. Our family is biracial. Is Keizer or Salem a good place for a family like mine? I would hate to move somewhere that my child (or family) would have a hard time or not feel accepted. ~Thanks for any advice...
- Kari in Ohio

Old 06-20-2008, 08:10 PM

14,719 posts, read 35,633,760 times
Well Salem is about one hour south of Portland so I guess it depends on what you consider near. Oregon is not the most diverse state, but I have two friends that are mixed race couples and they don't have any issues here.

Honestly, some of this will depend on your socioeconomic status.

Old 03-02-2009, 12:28 PM

5 posts, read 19,145 times
Honestly, I would avoid Keizer altogether as a place to raise a family. I have lived here in west Keizer for 7 years now, and have seen first hand the sad decline. I have 4 boys. The city has terrible growth ideas. In the past 2 years I've counted 5 new apartment complexes go up in my residential neighborhood. There is no need for them and are still mostly vacant. The crime is rising and I've even started to feel a bit unsafe. 3 weeks ago, my fence, backyard shed, and pick up were spray painted with "Norte something 14", whatever that means. There is a growing hispanic gang problem. The city is also encouraging homeowners of the larger older lots we have to divide them and add a house or two in what used to be the backyard. And sadly, several west Keizer residents have done just that. I'm not talking acreage here, but 1/4 to 1/3 acre lots. We will allow our ninth grader to graduate at McNary High, then we will be moving out of the Salem/Keizer area. Just don't come here believing this is an idylic small town, because it definately is not. There have been two recent bank robberies on River Rd.(our main street), quite a few drug busts(heroin and meth), and there is alot of theft, and vandalism. The police do their best though.

Old 04-12-2010, 01:40 AM

1 posts, read 5,973 times
I would not try and raise my family in keizer either. The crime rate is up and the keizer police don't do much of anything to serve and protect. You can be rip roaring drunk on the streets of keizer because there is no law against it. In my area we have known drug dealers and users and the police know of it all but never do anything about it. Keizer is not very friendly either. If I could afford to move I would. Been here now for the last 7 years. I have lived all over salem, born and raised here as well. Keizer thinks it's you know what doesn't stink but news flash.....it really does! Boring Boring Boring. Salem isn't much better now either. My advice for anyone thinking of moving here......don't. You'll be sorry when your kid comes home with Johnny dope dealer as their new best pal. Oh yea.....don't drink keizer water unless you like going to the ER. Keizer has the worst water problem in the state. Keizer has a great dog park but there are a few who think it's "their" park and let their agressive dogs bully all others. The owners are nastier and meaner then their pets! keizer is trying to make this city better but it has an "F" for a grade so far.

Old 04-23-2013, 02:59 AM

1 posts, read 3,960 times
Keizer is great to raise family and Keizer police does a whole lot better than Salem, they are usually on top of things! And crime is not as bad as other small towns I have been here 4 generations. You get this feeling of being welcome every small businesses you go to. Yes we are growing and if people are unhappy then move this only makes our town look bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem