Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 05:29 PM

12 posts, read 16,367 times

Advertisements

Thanks to all contributors for the info! Sounds like we might aim for *close* to downtown in Salem. From what I've gathered Corvallis is nice but feels much smaller than Salem. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Are there any areas close to downtown that are dangerous to avoid? Is there somewhere I'm overlooking between Portland and Salem? Any other thoughts? This is really helpful because we won't b ale to scout the area ahead of time and I've never been to Cascadia!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2017, 06:36 PM

12 posts, read 16,367 times
Anybody know anything about the Lee Apartments in Salem? Also are there any dodgy areas close to downtown that I should avoid? Any other nearby cities with fun and relatively dense downtowns?

Old 03-31-2017, 11:05 PM

13,072 posts, read 7,511,991 times
I am guessing that there are many state employees as residents because of its proximity to the state offices. Area is fine.
Close to Cinebarre Theaters, Salem Center Shopping. (between Center and Marion).

Old 04-23-2017, 11:10 PM

31 posts, read 35,186 times
You may get more answers about Corvallis if you post in the general Oregon forum. We're a college town so most apts are taken by students. Very low vacancy rate for rentals of any kind. The downtown is small and the few rentals there are subsidized or VERY expensive.

Old 07-23-2017, 02:43 AM

4,606 posts, read 3,000,886 times
Default apartments in Independence

I haven't seen them myself yet, but in Independence (next door to Monmouth) there are some nice-looking apartments: Riverplace Apartment Homes | Riverplace Apartments

Old 09-04-2017, 11:29 AM

9 posts, read 10,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillsAndValleys2 View Post
Thanks for the answers! So Salem doesn't have much downtown? No cool loft conversions or buildings within 10 min walk to coffee? Anyone know - how is living in downtown Salem? The living in Monmouth suggestion is interesting, but we may prefer a more urban, more dense walking neighborhood. What about Corvallis -- could that meet our needs? What about McMinnville? Is that a fun spot? Thanks!
There's not a lot in your price range downtown, but I would someone disagree with the idea that there isn't any of the type of properties you mention down here. It's more that the housing downtown isn't particularly well publicized outside of South Block. I'd assume this is because South Block is owned by a big management company and most of the downtown housing are privately owned. There are three buildings right in the core of downtown that have apartments with converted lofts though for example. Price range is more like $1200+ though for those, topping out at right around $2k right now. There are other small apartment communities tucked away down here if you're looking for something small and not so modern though in your price range.

Old 09-04-2017, 11:32 AM

9 posts, read 10,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillsAndValleys2 View Post
Anybody know anything about the Lee Apartments in Salem? Also are there any dodgy areas close to downtown that I should avoid? Any other nearby cities with fun and relatively dense downtowns?
I've toured a couple of these, they are on the small end of the scale (400 sq feet to about 875 sq ft) and older, but very affordably priced and not any major problems from what I could tell. I've heard some tenants years and years ago complain about electrical issues but they seem to have worked those out. Right across from Saturday market, maybe half mile out of the downtown core and great view from the roof though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem