Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 04:06 PM

12 posts, read 16,358 times

Advertisements

Greetings kind contributors!

I have read many related threads, but all situations are unique so here is mine. I recently accepted a job in Monmouth and my wife and I will be moving to the area in a few months and need to choose somewhere to live/rent. Thank you in advance for all of your feedback and informed advice -- we appreciate it! Here is our background and desires...

We are mid-30s, childless, and looking to rent a one-bedroom in the $700-1100 range for at least a year since continuing with the job is not 100%. We know to temper our expectations, but ideally we would like:

--walkable neighborhood with cafes and like a sandwich shop and ATM within reach
--safe for us, esp my wife if she comes home after dark
--not more than 40 min drive from Monmouth
--reasonably easy to get to supermarket, shopping by car
--not too too far from Portland area

Based on these desires and much research, I've narrowed it down to three places, but of course beyond responding to these places we are very open to other suggestions!

1) downtown Salem
2) Corvallis
3) McMinnville

Any thoughts, opinions, suggestions? Many thanks for the help!

-Hills
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2017, 05:21 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,717,994 times
Why not live in Monmouth?

Old 03-25-2017, 05:52 PM

15,575 posts, read 40,430,010 times
There aren't that many rentals in downtown Salem. Southblock has one bedrooms, but I'm not sure of the current rent and whether or not there is any availability. Salem has a very, very low vacancy rate so you might not get to be picky if you want a rental here.

Old 03-25-2017, 06:01 PM

13,072 posts, read 7,505,741 times
West Salem in the approx area of GlenGreek and Wallace.

Old 03-25-2017, 09:12 PM

Thanks for the answers! So Salem doesn't have much downtown? No cool loft conversions or buildings within 10 min walk to coffee? Anyone know - how is living in downtown Salem? The living in Monmouth suggestion is interesting, but we may prefer a more urban, more dense walking neighborhood. What about Corvallis -- could that meet our needs? What about McMinnville? Is that a fun spot? Thanks!

Old 03-26-2017, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillsAndValleys2 View Post
Thanks for the answers! So Salem doesn't have much downtown? No cool loft conversions or buildings within 10 min walk to coffee? Anyone know - how is living in downtown Salem? The living in Monmouth suggestion is interesting, but we may prefer a more urban, more dense walking neighborhood. What about Corvallis -- could that meet our needs? What about McMinnville? Is that a fun spot? Thanks!
Salem has lots of coffee/restaurants/bars downtown, but not lots of housing. What housing there is, is in great demand. A lot of apartments turn over via word of mouth and don't get advertised. The Southblock apartments were a much-needed addition and more are going in on Court St, but they are just demolishing old buildings for that build to start. Vintage homes surround the downtown core, not apartments. Those are farther out. I think your best bet is to see if Southblock has anything available right now and find out what their rent price is for a one bedroom to see if it is in your budget.

You could also check the Meridian and see what they have available as well. It is a couple of blocks south of downtown.

Old 03-26-2017, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
Salem has lots of coffee/restaurants/bars downtown, but not lots of housing. What housing there is, is in great demand. A lot of apartments turn over via word of mouth and don't get advertised. The Southblock apartments were a much-needed addition and more are going in on Court St, but they are just demolishing old buildings for that build to start. Vintage homes surround the downtown core, not apartments. Those are farther out. I think your best bet is to see if Southblock has anything available right now and find out what their rent price is for a one bedroom to see if it is in your budget.

You could also check the Meridian and see what they have available as well. It is a couple of blocks south of downtown.
Thanks -- great to have a local expert chiming in! Too bad downtown Salem has few apartments -- what about like within a fifteen minute walk to downtown? Do the apartment options increase? And is there a better direction to look from downtown (going south, north, west)? And what about Corvallis -- is it possible to rent there in a walkable 'hood? Do you know anything about McMinnville? Seems nice from my research. Thank you again for the insights! Please anyone with knowledge feel free to post, it would help us a lot!

Old 03-27-2017, 08:44 AM

32,643 posts, read 48,015,234 times
My observation. Oregonians have never been apartment dwellers, so you won't find many apartment buildings near the down town area, which will be in the older part of town. It's only with the large influx of out-of-staters that apartment buildings have been built for them, because they will live in them.

Because the apartments are a relatively newer addition, they will be further out from the main shopping area, unless someone has built a mall out in the same area.

Old 03-27-2017, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
My observation. Oregonians have never been apartment dwellers, so you won't find many apartment buildings near the down town area, which will be in the older part of town. It's only with the large influx of out-of-staters that apartment buildings have been built for them, because they will live in them.

Because the apartments are a relatively newer addition, they will be further out from the main shopping area, unless someone has built a mall out in the same area.
Agree. Apartments, townhomes, condos haven't typically been in areas outside of Portland. With the huge influx we have had the past few years, these types of properties are suddenly in demand and we don't have enough of them.

Old 03-27-2017, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillsAndValleys2 View Post
Thanks -- great to have a local expert chiming in! Too bad downtown Salem has few apartments -- what about like within a fifteen minute walk to downtown? Do the apartment options increase? And is there a better direction to look from downtown (going south, north, west)? And what about Corvallis -- is it possible to rent there in a walkable 'hood? Do you know anything about McMinnville? Seems nice from my research. Thank you again for the insights! Please anyone with knowledge feel free to post, it would help us a lot!
You could check with the Wallace Park apartments out in West Salem. They are right next to the pedestrian bridge that crosses the river. Willamette Landing would be a 15-minute walk to downtown and the Broadway apartments might work as well for that criteria.

Apartments that are close in are just in demand, and honestly, Willamette students probably snag a good chunk of those units.

McMinnville is a nice small town. It's hard because Salem is 165,000 people, compared to Corvallis' 55,000, and McMinneville's 30,000. They aren't really comparable. It just depends on what you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem