Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2017, 09:26 AM

93 posts, read 182,511 times

Advertisements

On realtor I see that there are lots of listings for single family homes in the NE and S areas of Salem. at what seems to be really inexpensive costs. What would be the 'problems' that would reflect in that reduction from other areas?

We want to retire to Or (my wife is from WA, I'm from Tx...) and the only way we have looked so far is online. I plan on making the trip there by summer, but it would help if someone could give me the 'scoop' on where we might start the search. We would like (of course) 1-low CRIME; 2-reasonable access to shopping (no more than 15-20 minutes to the market); and 3-a little info on the medical care, hospital quality, ect in the area.

AND a rather quiet neighborhood. We are the retiring age, and wouldn't mind a 55+ MHP, but would prefer a single family home.

Thanks.

(I had asked this question/opinion in the form of a reply to a forum member, so if a mod wishes to take down one of my posts, please leave this one. And thank you for that.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2017, 01:06 PM

15,577 posts, read 40,434,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snappingfish View Post
On realtor I see that there are lots of listings for single family homes in the NE and S areas of Salem. at what seems to be really inexpensive costs. What would be the 'problems' that would reflect in that reduction from other areas?

We want to retire to Or (my wife is from WA, I'm from Tx...) and the only way we have looked so far is online. I plan on making the trip there by summer, but it would help if someone could give me the 'scoop' on where we might start the search. We would like (of course) 1-low CRIME; 2-reasonable access to shopping (no more than 15-20 minutes to the market); and 3-a little info on the medical care, hospital quality, ect in the area.

AND a rather quiet neighborhood. We are the retiring age, and wouldn't mind a 55+ MHP, but would prefer a single family home.

Thanks.

(I had asked this question/opinion in the form of a reply to a forum member, so if a mod wishes to take down one of my posts, please leave this one. And thank you for that.)
Salem has sections if you will. S generally refers to the area west of I-5 and south of Madrona. SE generally refers to the area East of I-5 and south of State. NE refers to the area east of I-5 and north of State. So I think you mean NE and SE Salem.

NE and SE homes are less expensive than S (south) Salem. They are very working class/middle-class neighborhoods which is why they are cheaper. Anything that is $80-$90,000 will be cash only properties that have condition issues, or they will be mobile homes. There are no homes that cheap that are in good condition. They are all fixers. So that is the big problem.

The average home price for NE Salem is $200,000 and the average for SE is $204,900. You can see that those cheap homes you are seeing are well below those averages.

You can look at crime stats online at crimereports.com. Low crime is a subjective concept so look on there and see what feels comfortable to you.

Everything has reasonable access to shopping here. It takes 25 minutes to go from way south to way north in Salem. It won't take you more than 10 minutes from anywhere to get groceries.

We have a doctor shortage here so finding a primary care doctor will be an issue. The hospital is a good hospital I think.

Old 04-24-2017, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
Salem has sections if you will. S generally refers to the area west of I-5 and south of Madrona. SE generally refers to the area East of I-5 and south of State. NE refers to the area east of I-5 and north of State. So I think you mean NE and SE Salem.

NE and SE homes are less expensive than S (south) Salem. They are very working class/middle-class neighborhoods which is why they are cheaper. Anything that is $80-$90,000 will be cash only properties that have condition issues, or they will be mobile homes. There are no homes that cheap that are in good condition. They are all fixers. So that is the big problem.

The average home price for NE Salem is $200,000 and the average for SE is $204,900. You can see that those cheap homes you are seeing are well below those averages.

You can look at crime stats online at crimereports.com. Low crime is a subjective concept so look on there and see what feels comfortable to you.

Everything has reasonable access to shopping here. It takes 25 minutes to go from way south to way north in Salem. It won't take you more than 10 minutes from anywhere to get groceries.

We have a doctor shortage here so finding a primary care doctor will be an issue. The hospital is a good hospital I think.
Thanks for the reply. It's going to take a trip up there, and a few days looking around to get the feel for the town/city! PCP's are also a problem everywhere it seems, especially in Northern California, where we have been stuck for too long now.

Did you used to run a license in Idaho? I thought your name was familiar, but I thought it was around the lake in Id.

If you like, we would contact you if and when we decide to get up that way to look. We are also considering the Rancho Mirage/Bermuda Dunes area. A BIIIG difference! I wouldn't mind a moblie, as long as it was in GREAT shape, mfg post 1975, and had <$550 or so space rent.

Thanx,
Fred

Old 04-24-2017, 01:55 PM

Here's a cute little tool to check on crime index for a lot of places.
I can't vouch for its current status, but it shows some fed numbers
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not ok

Last edited by Yac; 04-26-2017 at 06:21 AM..

Old 04-24-2017, 02:04 PM

121 posts, read 106,684 times
Quote:

Love that crimereports.com page, the Salem PD actually has a direct link on their page-

City of Salem Find Crime Statistics for Your Area

However, I think the dividing line for S/SE is Commercial Street to Liberty Road not I-5 (unless I'm misreading what you wrote, if so sorry).

On the plus side, they say that east of I-5 may be safer in the event of a subduction earthquake.

Old 04-24-2017, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5gables View Post

However, I think the dividing line for S/SE is Commercial Street to Liberty Road not I-5 (unless I'm misreading what you wrote, if so sorry).
Locals refer to everything east of I5 as east. Anything west of I5 but south is called south Salem even if it has a SE address.

Old 04-24-2017, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Locals refer to everything east of I5 as east. Anything west of I5 but south is called south Salem even if it has a SE address.
And then they have to further confuse matters with geographical neighborhood association names

Old 04-24-2017, 05:17 PM

Quote:
And then they have to further confuse matters with geographical neighborhood association names
Yes, the neighborhood associations are a whole other ballgame. It keeps things interesting.

Old 04-25-2017, 11:38 AM

31 posts, read 35,194 times
Quote:
On the plus side, they say that east of I-5 may be safer in the event of a subduction earthquake.
*One* guy was quoted in the famous New Yorker article as saying "Everything west of I-5 will be toast" after the subduction zone earthquake. His comment has been discredited--after all, a highway is an arbitrary divider. Not everything west of I-5 will be destroyed, and some things east WILL be.

Everyone in the valley needs to prepare for The Big One. It could happen tomorrow, or in 500 years...

Old 04-25-2017, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freidenbach View Post
*One* guy was quoted in the famous New Yorker article as saying "Everything west of I-5 will be toast" after the subduction zone earthquake. His comment has been discredited--after all, a highway is an arbitrary divider. Not everything west of I-5 will be destroyed, and some things east WILL be.

Everyone in the valley needs to prepare for The Big One. It could happen tomorrow, or in 500 years...

Definitely am working on preparedness myself and I don't know if the earthquake map on this website includes the possible subduction earthquake-

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthqua...oregon-haz.php
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem
View detailed profiles of: