Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2017, 01:15 PM

8 posts, read 9,539 times

Advertisements

Hello All~
So I will keep this brief. I am thinking of applying for a teaching job at the Chemeketa Community College. Just looking for general feedback on life in Salem. Rent, safety, general living, etc. anything that will help a newly divorced mid-50's woman make a major decision. (Past posts have given me a good feel for the weather). Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2017, 03:44 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
The rental market is really tight here so you can't be too picky. Salem is safe. I drive all over the city all the time. I'm not remotely afraid of any part of it, BUT I do recognize that people have different tolerances for what safe means. You can see crime stats on crimereports.com

As for general living that is really too generic to answer. What do you like to do?

Old 05-21-2017, 07:04 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Salem is a fairly sedate and dignified city. There are many areas that are quite lovely with beautiful big trees. Shopping is excellent. The hospital is excellent. Portland is a reasonable drive if you can't live without live opera.

Traffic can be heavy, but it keeps moving. The road lay-out is easy to understand and to learn.

The ocean is close enough to be a day trip. There is hiking, fishing, outdoor sports close by. Skiing is a day trip.

Downside for some, night life is lacking (but Portland is reasonably close). Plus the rain, which you already know about.

For many people the big issue is the lack of living wage jobs, but that does not apply to you, OP.

Old 05-22-2017, 10:43 PM

121 posts, read 106,539 times
I really enjoy living in Salem, mainly because it's very walkable for me.

If you're looking at apartments on a cool day, don't forget to look around to see if the unit has AC. Even some newer units don't have it. Good to know for planning purposes at least.

Old 01-21-2018, 09:49 AM

1 posts, read 858 times
I to am in your situation, 50's divorced, although I lived there for 2 1/2 yrs, I moved to Longview, wa. Long story but want to move back to Salem, the weather is much nicer than here, I like Salem because it is laid back but yet there is much more to do and see. For me jobs are more plentiful in Salem than in Longview, and NO SALES TAX in Oregon, good luck on your search. If you want to contact me other than the sight feel free to contact me. 51lisakent@gmail.com

Old 01-23-2018, 03:21 PM

497 posts, read 484,144 times
OP Hasn't been on CD since May of last year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem
View detailed profiles of: