Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2017, 10:00 PM

25 posts, read 21,477 times

Advertisements

I currently live in North Carolina and I've had it with this place. To the point that I'm literally considering just packing up and leaving. I had planned a move this Summer, but some things didn't work out and I had to postpone it a bit. I'm also currently working on my doctorate and will start residencies in Seattle next Summer. I'm looking to move to the Vancouver area, but Salem is in second place at the moment. Anywho, I had a few (several) questions:

Currently, I'm a High School English Teacher, but I'm also licensed for Moderate to Severe Special Education. How are the job prospects? Even Substitute work? I figure, if I move mid year, that may be my best bet at getting a job. From what I've seen, the average pay is around 120 a day, give or take. I'll also see about Adjuncting at a local community college to bring in a little extra cash. Anyone have any advice on that?

How are the schools in general? I get that it's probably all dependent on the neighborhood, but overall?

How are the Special Education services, especially for students with Autism? Autism supports, how are they as far as resources, etc.?

How bad is the search for an apartment. I admit, I don't have the best credit, but plan on going with roughly 3500 - 6500 dollars in the bank to get me rolling? If I need to pay a few months in advance, I can probably make that work. What about renting a house? I'm mostly looking at 1-2 bedrooms. My son will be with me, but custody will be split with his mother (who's in the Portland area). So, I can make a 1 bedroom work and sleep on the couch when he's there, or something to that effect.

I'm also a bit of an outdoorsy kind of guy. Mountain Biking, Fishing, that kind of thing. So, how's the fishing? How's the cycling "scene"? I'm not much on going to clubs, bars, that kind of stuff. Too busy with the kiddo and school for that. Give me a few decent italian, thai, and japanese places, access to trout streams, and a few trails to ride my bike on and I'm good.

Anything else at all I should know?

Any help or advice is much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2017, 09:42 AM

497 posts, read 484,144 times
Vancouver likely has more job opportunities and a higher rate of pay, but also a higher cost of living. Dining choices will be more diverse and abundant than Salem. I cannot comment on Vancouver specifically as to trail access, but most of the good riding areas around Portland require some drive time (Look up Sandy Ridge, Post Canyon, Mt. Hood). There is also a new mtb oriented park they recently completed in Portland called Gateway Green, it looks amazing.

Salem is going to be cheaper, but also a tighter job market. There are plenty things to do outdoors here and we have some amazing trails within a 30-60 min drive (Black Rock, Silver Falls, Alsea Falls). We have a new bike park as well. There are a handful of decent restaurants, but nothing really special in my opinion. I wish I could touch more on your other questions, but I don't have any knowledge related to your job market.

Old 08-20-2017, 12:06 PM

32,632 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocVudu View Post
........start residencies in Seattle next Summer. ........
Neither Vancouver or Salem are commute distance to Seattle and if you are going to have to be in Seattle next year, choose a place closer to Seattle.

If you really love to drive, I suppose you could spend a lot of hours in the car and live in Vancouver (we are talking about Vancouver WA, yes?) as long as you don't want to do anything else but sleep because you won't have any time left to do anything else. Salem is just not doable if you have to be in Seattle.

Anywhere in Washington or Oregon will have good outdoor activities. Rent in Oregon is high and there is a low vacancy rate which makes the competition for a rental pretty intense.

Old 08-20-2017, 01:04 PM

The trips to seattle would only be for a few weeks in the Summer time, and I'd stay either on campus or in some short term housing nearby, then come back. It's not a commute type situation. My son's mother lives in Portland, so I could drop him off and make the drive. It's just living on the East Coast now, I'd have to leave an Autistic Child with a sitter for a few weeks at a time, and be 2-3 days drive, or a very expensive last minute flight in an emergency, as opposed to a 4-7 hour drive that I can make at the drop of a hat, if that makes sense?

Old 08-20-2017, 03:46 PM

32,632 posts, read 47,975,309 times
OK, that makes more sense. Vancouver WA is basically a suburb of Portland. All the action is in Portland and people drive into Oregon for shopping and night life. Rent is cheaper in Vancouver.

The important issue for you is that Washington states is more prosperous and their school system is better. If you have a special needs child, I suspect that Vancouver will have more help available for your child.

I think Salem is a lot prettier than Vancouver. It is a sedate town. Not famous for nightlife, but close enough to Portland to go there for nightlife.

Both places have very easy access to all sorts of outdoor activities. Both places have excellent access to good fishing. Both places have good access to mountains, hiking, skiing, camping.

Salem has easier access to the coast, in case you want to fish for Halibut or albacore. I've heard that Salem does have classes for autistic kids, but they aren't going to have the budget that the school system in Washington state has.

Rentals in Salem are tight.

Washington has no income tax. Oregon has no sales tax. Which is why a lot of people who live in Washington, shop in Oregon.

Old 08-20-2017, 08:27 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
Salem Keizer School District has a serious short of special ed teachers so if you have your certificate you will have no trouble getting work here as a teacher.

As for autism services...it is hit and miss. It really depends on what type of classroom setting they need. We have LRC's (Learning Resource Centers) for kids mostly mainstreamed who might need some support. EGC (Emotional Growth Centers) for kids that have more behavior issues. Life Skills Classrooms which focus on life skills. DLC (which is generally for kids that have low IQ's).

The high schools have classes that focus on social skills, transition to independent living, transition to college, organizational skills, etc.

There is such a shortage here that some of the classrooms have temporary subs which isn't good for kids that have transition issues.

You can rent an apartment here with decent credit. If you have bad credit, then it will be very problematic. I'd forget trying to rent a house. The vacancy rate in Salem is 1%. They are building apartments all over the place, but it is still very tight to get a rental.

Old 08-20-2017, 09:05 PM

Then that'll be my issue, the credit. I had surgery last year and was off my feet for about three months (orthopedic surgery), so my credit is pretty trashed.

What about community services, not in the school? Camps? Afterschool programs? Stuff like that?

Old 08-20-2017, 09:26 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocVudu View Post
Then that'll be my issue, the credit. I had surgery last year and was off my feet for about three months (orthopedic surgery), so my credit is pretty trashed.

What about community services, not in the school? Camps? Afterschool programs? Stuff like that?
Most of the spectrum kids participate in regular programs after school. SKEF (Salem Keizer Education Foundation) has all sorts of programs and is autism-friendly. You have to ask about other programs depending upon the interest of your child. It just depends on how severe your child is. I know lots of spectrum kids and they participate in cheerleading, CET (Children's Educational Theater), Soapbox Derby, Salem Youth Symphony on and on...

I know the Ike Box used to have a Friday Asperger's social club. Not sure if they still do it or not. It was more for teens. Not sure how old your child is.

There is camp Yakety *** in Lake Oswego which works on social skills during the summer. Easter Seals has a camp in Stayton that serves all sorts of special needs. There is also Camp Odakoda.

Otherwise, you have access to private speech therapists, OT, ABA, TEACCH, and neurofeedback. I'm aware of one therapist that does social skills groups, but it depends on how high functioning your child is.

No DAN! doctors that I am aware of locally, or floortime providers.

CDRC (Child Development and Rehabilitation Center) is up at OHSU and they have tons of resources. It's an hours drive to get there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem