Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 09:58 PM

33 posts, read 127,887 times

Advertisements

Maybe we need to start keeping a daily weather blog. My wife and I enjoyed a sunny rain free drive to Portland today. There were still clouds in the sky, but it was mostly sunny and there was no rain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2009, 11:44 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,762,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbysoutheast View Post
Maybe we need to start keeping a daily weather blog. My wife and I enjoyed a sunny rain free drive to Portland today. There were still clouds in the sky, but it was mostly sunny and there was no rain.
Well, I hate to break it to you, but keeping a daily weather blog to note each day it does not rain is not going to convince folks it is not rainy. They tried that over on the Pittsburgh blog (the Burgh is about as rainy at Portland), and it was not convincing. Any place that can keep track of the nonrainy days is rainy! People in dry places don't do that..!

LOL! Anyhow, I am glad you love the Willamette Valley climate! It is definitely a to each their own thing. Just be thankful you are not in Phoenix, AZ, where they count the days under 100 f in summer. I'll take Oregon, rain or not!

Old 12-19-2009, 05:30 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,112,201 times
I suspect you are correct. One day without rain is not too convincing. The NWS predicts the odds of rain at 80% or greater for the next 3 days. Then again we are having a blizzard in NY.

Old 12-19-2009, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
I suspect you are correct. One day without rain is not too convincing. The NWS predicts the odds of rain at 80% or greater for the next 3 days. Then again we are having a blizzard in NY.
Don't let anyone fool you. It is cloudy in the PNW in winter. But when I first moved to the Redwood Coast of California 20 something years ago, I remember sitting in a cafe in winter, looking out south over Humboldt Bay at the clouds scudding in, going out to the windswept, majestic coast, watching wave, cliffs, and swirling mist meet, and being awe struck. Winter rain and mild temps are what gives us the most majestic forests on the planet, a wilderness coastline, and mighty deep, green salmon-bearing rivers. It is all part of the package, and frankly it I think it is one of the finest places in the world, but it is definitely not for everyone. Paradoxically, we have quite dry summers, and you get several months for camping and outdoor things each winter. For me, the way to adapt has always been to head out into it and get wet. Don't hole up, embrace it. Once again, those that can love it. And the PNW is full of transplants from California and many other sunny places, so people can and do adapt. But if you are terribly sensitive to light deprivation, it may not be a good fit.

Old 12-19-2009, 09:50 PM

899 posts, read 2,942,765 times
Fiddlehead, love your discription of the Humbolt Bay, I saw the ocean look like your coffee pot purking off the Mendicino headlands and it was just what makes it..the same ocean is drop dead blue in the summer..I'm a native northern californian who loves to be out in the rain..Was out gardening in it this past week and will be again this week..this and summers are part of what makes living up here so great..
new york friend come play with us in the winter and see why we like it..
Saw your blizzard on tv..

Old 12-20-2009, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Don't let anyone fool you. It is cloudy in the PNW in winter. But when I first moved to the Redwood Coast of California 20 something years ago, I remember sitting in a cafe in winter, looking out south over Humboldt Bay at the clouds scudding in, going out to the windswept, majestic coast, watching wave, cliffs, and swirling mist meet, and being awe struck. Winter rain and mild temps are what gives us the most majestic forests on the planet, a wilderness coastline, and mighty deep, green salmon-bearing rivers. It is all part of the package, and frankly it I think it is one of the finest places in the world, but it is definitely not for everyone. Paradoxically, we have quite dry summers, and you get several months for camping and outdoor things each winter. For me, the way to adapt has always been to head out into it and get wet. Don't hole up, embrace it. Once again, those that can love it. And the PNW is full of transplants from California and many other sunny places, so people can and do adapt. But if you are terribly sensitive to light deprivation, it may not be a good fit.
Many typos above as usual. But I meant to say we have several months for outdoor stuff in SUMMER...! It is the payback for the long,cloudy winters.

Old 12-22-2009, 10:44 PM

Default You're right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Well, I hate to break it to you, but keeping a daily weather blog to note each day it does not rain is not going to convince folks it is not rainy. They tried that over on the Pittsburgh blog (the Burgh is about as rainy at Portland), and it was not convincing. Any place that can keep track of the nonrainy days is rainy! People in dry places don't do that..!

LOL! Anyhow, I am glad you love the Willamette Valley climate! It is definitely a to each their own thing. Just be thankful you are not in Phoenix, AZ, where they count the days under 100 f in summer. I'll take Oregon, rain or not!

You're right, even a daily weather blog probably wouldn't help. People just need to come see it for themselves. But for the record, this was the view from my front door today (Dec. 22, 2009):
//www.city-data.com/forum/attac...22-2009-2-.jpg
//www.city-data.com/forum/attac...ec-22-2009.jpg

Last edited by southbysoutheast; 12-22-2009 at 10:50 PM.. Reason: add pics

Old 12-22-2009, 10:50 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,166,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbysoutheast View Post
You're right, even a daily weather blog probably wouldn't help. People just need to come see it for themselves. But for the record, this was the view from my front door today (Dec. 22, 2009):
Attachment 55030
Attachment 55031
glad you decided on Salem or anywhere in Oregon. I had thought of moving to N.C. a few years back. Visited the Raleigh-Durham area and Chapel Hills and knew within the first day it was not for me. ugh!!!

your attachment didn't attach.

Old 12-22-2009, 10:54 PM

Default pics added

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWeavin View Post
glad you decided on Salem or anywhere in Oregon. I had thought of moving to N.C. a few years back. Visited the Raleigh-Durham area and Chapel Hills and knew within the first day it was not for me. ugh!!!

your attachment didn't attach.
Thanks, should be working now.

Old 12-22-2009, 11:00 PM

Default Like I said, NWS was wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
I justed posted pics of the weather today in this thread (Dec 22, 2009).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem