Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2022, 05:37 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,591,550 times

Advertisements

SALEM, Ore. (AP) — Oregon voters are being asked to decide whether the state should be the first in the nation to amend its constitution to explicitly declare that affordable health care is a fundamental human right.

https://www.usnews.com/news/health-n...-a-human-right
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2022, 01:27 PM

2,661 posts, read 3,858,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD59 View Post
SALEM, Ore. (AP) — Oregon voters are being asked to decide whether the state should be the first in the nation to amend its constitution to explicitly declare that affordable health care is a fundamental human right.

https://www.usnews.com/news/health-n...-a-human-right
If this were to actually pass; it would just be another bullet point in the "Oregon is Cra Cra" checklist.

Old 11-02-2022, 01:04 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjarider View Post
If this were to actually pass; it would just be another bullet point in the "Oregon is Cra Cra" checklist.
And it would mean nothing, as a mere statement. It would not provide medical care to anyone that doesn't have it now or make any other changes to the health care system there.

Old 12-14-2022, 02:30 PM

2,661 posts, read 3,858,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
And it would mean nothing, as a mere statement. It would not provide medical care to anyone that doesn't have it now or make any other changes to the health care system there.

Ohh it would mean something over the years. Leftists use crap like this to initiate bureaucracies, rules, laws etc. to enshrine the "right." Most bureaucracies, freedom limiting movements and overzealous regulations start this way.

The Left, like China, is in a 100 or even 1000 year war with the US.

Old 12-14-2022, 04:13 PM

3,070 posts, read 1,681,572 times
What I definitely DON'T WANT is for this 'plan' to replace private insurance! I have great health insurance through mine, which is a retirement medical advantage, and I highly doubt that a state health alternative would be as good.

I also like the comment Hayward made about the insurance not guaranteeing access. I've found the healthcare system in general to be in p---poor shape anymore since the pandemic, with long waiting times and less staff. It all needs to be fixed before a government system could take over ~ or else we'd all be screwed!

Old 12-14-2022, 05:07 PM

15,577 posts, read 40,430,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckystrike1 View Post
What I definitely DON'T WANT is for this 'plan' to replace private insurance! I have great health insurance through mine, which is a retirement medical advantage, and I highly doubt that a state health alternative would be as good.

I also like the comment Hayward made about the insurance not guaranteeing access. I've found the healthcare system in general to be in p---poor shape anymore since the pandemic, with long waiting times and less staff. It all needs to be fixed before a government system could take over ~ or else we'd all be screwed!
It isn't a plan. It is just a "thought" that will cause a lawsuit at some point in the near future. I have to buy insurance on the ACA platform since I own a business and it is not what I would call affordable. I personally would love a different option, but I can't believe the bill passed. This is lawsuit territory for sure. Oregon will have to figure out how to expand the Oregon Health Plan for people to buy in, I guess.

There have not been enough nurses and primary care doctors for a while. It was a problem long before Covid. I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Old 01-21-2023, 03:22 PM

2,452 posts, read 1,682,143 times
LOL, making health care a human right boils down to one thing. Those that go to work and pay taxes get to pay for those that don't. YEA

Old 03-01-2023, 10:37 AM

1,070 posts, read 788,650 times
Who defines "affordable?"

The issue with designating services, such as healthcare, a fundamental human right is that you can't force those providing the service to work without also violating their fundamental human rights. Therefore you can't make it affordable by mandating lower pay for healthcare workers and suppliers because they will just go elsewhere, resulting in healthcare shortages. The only way to make this "work" is for the state to fund it, which means much higher taxes. Will taxpayers stick around for this, especially high earning individuals who can easily relocate?

Old 03-01-2023, 01:05 PM

15,577 posts, read 40,430,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnythingOutdoors View Post
Who defines "affordable?"

The issue with designating services, such as healthcare, a fundamental human right is that you can't force those providing the service to work without also violating their fundamental human rights. Therefore you can't make it affordable by mandating lower pay for healthcare workers and suppliers because they will just go elsewhere, resulting in healthcare shortages. The only way to make this "work" is for the state to fund it, which means much higher taxes. Will taxpayers stick around for this, especially high earning individuals who can easily relocate?
It depends on the quality of the healthcare. Scandinavian counties, Canada, etc pay in because they generally believe that the quality of service they get is good. People will pay for good service. If it is good, high earners will stay and pay in. If it isn't good, high earners will have the option to leave.

Old 03-01-2023, 01:55 PM

1,070 posts, read 788,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
It depends on the quality of the healthcare. Scandinavian counties, Canada, etc pay in because they generally believe that the quality of service they get is good. People will pay for good service. If it is good, high earners will stay and pay in. If it isn't good, high earners will have the option to leave.
Sure. To be clear I'm not necessary against it. But success largely depends on voters being willing to pay for it, and assuming someone else (e.g. "rich people") will bear the burden doesn't really work. Which is why Scandinavian countries have much higher taxes, including for low/middle earners. Are Oregonian's actually prepared to pay for this, or is it just another feel-good initiative?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem