Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 07:05 AM

6,259 posts, read 14,676,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavaXtreme View Post
Saw this and had to jump in. I'm going to have to disagree with Bob on this one. I think Woodburn is a great place to live.

There are certainly older, poorer neighborhoods around (like you'll find anywhere), but it's a stretch to call Woodburn a slum. Woodburn has it's middle-class and luxury home developments too, and housing prices are a whole lot better here. But I especially prefer living in Woodburn to a Portland suburb for the greater natural beauty (and less pollution).

Woodburn has easy access to Salem and Portland, any major stores you might like (plus the outlet mall), constant new commercial development, 2-3 golf courses right in town, etc, etc.

And the crime? Probably a stretch to call it "very high." All depends on which areas of Portland or the state you choose to compare with.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and Woodburn's got a lot going for it in my books.
Have any children in the school system? Might change your mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2008, 11:51 PM

1,217 posts, read 4,033,769 times
That's true. The school system has gone downhill. I went to grade school there and got a good education. That was back in the 70's. Now it's over run with Mexicans. It that's racist, then I accept your contempt. Fact is, since this has happened, the educational system has gone to pot.

And another fact, compared to other communities, Woodburn has a much higher crime rate.

Old 09-20-2008, 08:23 AM

1 posts, read 3,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystle View Post
Yep, it's all relative. The south Bronx is probably heaven in comparison the real slums in third world countries. Either way, too bad about Woodburn having not so great schools, and the crime. It reminded me a lot of towns I saw in New Mexico--a strong Mexican influence, but not trashed up like many of the ethnic neighborhoods I saw in NY.
]

I have lived in Woodburn for the past 10 years. My son is in 2nd grade, and I would say his school is awesome!!

"Nellie Muir is a K-5 elementary school serving about 440 students. We offer traditional, one-way bilingual, and two-way bilingual programs. Nellie Muir was recently honored for its academic achievement by the Oregon Department of Education, and was one of seven schools in Oregon to receive the "Celebrating Student Success" award in 2006. It was again honored this year, 2008, for the same achievement, gaining the prestigious "Continuing Student Success" award."

Having grown up in the Portland area, I would compare Woodburn's crime to just about anywhere else in the Salem, Portland area. I would attribute most of it to the growing meth problem.

All in all, I would say Woodburn is a great town and I have great neighbors.

Old 09-22-2008, 08:01 PM

745 posts, read 1,284,990 times
I drove through Woodburn today on my Oregon road trip and I was surprised because it reminded me exactly of certain parts of Orange County, CA right near Santa Ana, which is heavily populated by predominantly illegal immigrant populations. Now I see that according to City-Data that Woodburn's population is 50% Hispanic. Give it 25 years and I bet it will reach 80% just like Santa Ana, which today has the highest violent crime rate in Orange County.

Old 06-02-2009, 03:35 AM

4 posts, read 14,475 times
great to hear mrwumps waxpo about how all latinos are criminals. funny that the worst crime in recent memory that happened in woodburn was two white fools blowing up a bank and killing two police officers. Mexicans have been in Woodburn since the town began continuing through the bracero period where thousands of mexican laborers and their families were brought up into the Willamette valley for farmwork. Thats how some of my family got here and we've been proud Oregonians ever since. Maybe read some history fool and realize not every cat with brown skin is some illegal gang banger, we are Oregon just as much as you and your european family.

Old 06-02-2009, 10:04 AM

6,266 posts, read 19,166,056 times
I noticed the number of hispanics while visiting the outlet mall there and even more in WalMart. Just sayin...........

OH and BTW- I don't care much for the outlet mall. Guess the stores there just aren't what I like.

Old 06-02-2009, 11:35 PM

61 posts, read 212,913 times
Don't forget the Russians too. Only time I've seen an ambulance in 3 different languages.

Old 03-25-2010, 09:51 AM

1 posts, read 3,147 times
I have lived and operated a business in Woodburn since 1998. Our community certainly has its challenges. There are some crime issues and, in the past, not a strong sense of community between Russian Old Believers, Latinos and Anglos. But that is changing. With the "Woodburn Proud" movement that began after the bank bombing here in 2008, a lot of people are getting involved in this community, working to draw the various cultures together on many levels. If you live in Woodburn, you better jump on the band wagon now. A lot of great things are about to happen. Be a part of it. Everyone in this community has an important role to play. If we could break down the barriers of misunderstanding, while maintaining the unique flavor of our diversity- well, we couldn't hope for more than that. If you want to live and work in a community where everybody looks like you, talks like you, and thinks like you- maybe Woodburn isn't your kind of town. Personally, for me, diversity is what makes the world go 'round. I'm happy to be here.

Old 04-13-2010, 12:02 PM

6 posts, read 15,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmulk View Post
Silverfall is right...I'm basing my evaluation on my experiences as a native Oregonian. We really don't have slums here. The term can mean different things. I find Woodburn dirty and gross. Crime is very high and the schools suck--much different when I went there back in the 60's/early 70's.
I have to agree with this statement. I have lived in the Woodburn area all of my life and slum is an accurate description of Woodburn. As for living in Woodburn, forget about it unless you are Hispanic. If you are not Hispanic, you are a second class citizen. The government will take your money and give to the Hispanics who are treated like kings even though they are the majority of the population in Woodburn. Woodburn really is like Mexico. Before anyone accuses me of being a racist, I have worked with many Hispanics and have had Hispanic friends. They are just like anyone else. There are good ones and bad ones.

Last edited by jjmorgan; 04-13-2010 at 12:13 PM..

Old 04-14-2010, 10:14 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,049,118 times
Wasn't there a news story just the other day about some drunk Russian kid who stole a police car, and passed out in it? Oh... yes here it is: OSP: Teen passed out in stolen patrol car | KATU.com - Breaking News, Sports, Traffic and Weather - Portland, Oregon | News Not in Woodburn but in close-by Mount Angel. We love small little communities like Woodburn and Mount Angel (as tourists) but we wouldn't want to raise our kids out there.

I get the Mexican population because of the agricultural work. But what's with all the Russians? We noticed that, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem