Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2008, 10:21 AM

4 posts, read 17,281 times

Advertisements

I am hoping someone can give me some advice to go along with the research I am doing. I am just getting out of school and have the ability to move just about anywhere. Here are some facts about me:
-From Indianapolis, never lived anywhere else
-Will be making at least 100k/yr
-Have a boyfriend who will be moving with me, not planning on having a family anytime soon
-Am a little afraid of constant rain/gray days

Some things I am looking for:
-A semi-upscale place to move
-Nearby beach/nature
-Would probably live in an apartment or townhouse
-Plenty of nearby fun things to do (nightlife, arts, concerts, etc.)
-Lower traffic (not always possible of course, but I don't want it to take hours to get from one side of town to the other)
-A more liberal atmosphere than in Indiana at least...
-Primarily English-speaking (for my job)
-Friends

I know I can't have all these things, but this gives you an idea of what I'm looking for. From what I've read, Salem doesn't seem like the best option, but there are larger incentives for me to work there. Is it possible to live on the south side of Portland and commute to Salem in a reasonable amount of time? Are there other suburbs that would be a better option? Also, if anyone knows much about San Francisco, Sacramento, or the Napa valley area and how they could compare, I would be very interested! Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2008, 01:04 PM

15,570 posts, read 40,404,923 times
I don't think Salem is what you are looking for. If you job is located in Salem you may want to consider living in Keizer and just heading to Portland for those things. Otherwise Lake Oswego is great. It takes about 30-45 minutes to get to Salem depending on where you work.

Old 11-20-2008, 01:09 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,021,659 times
First, I have to ask - what field are you in that you can get $100k right out of school?

Portland does sound like the place for you. Salem is an hour or more away; is that a reasonable amount of time?

I haven't lived in N CA but my impression is that the cost of living there is higher - especially in San Francisco. Sacramento is less expensive but not as interesting.

Old 11-20-2008, 04:23 PM

4 posts, read 17,281 times
Thanks for the replies. I was thinking about Lake Oswego, but I've heard about it's reputation for "snottiness." I will be visiting the Portland area next month, so I am trying to get a good idea of places to check out. I'll have to look into Keizer.

An hour drive to work everyday might be a little much. I can definitely deal with 30-40 minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
First, I have to ask - what field are you in that you can get $100k right out of school?
I'm graduating pharmacy school... it still surprises me how much pharmacists make right now.

Old 11-20-2008, 08:00 PM

1 posts, read 2,452 times
I agree Salem doesn't fit much of your desires. The NW in general is going to be more liberal then Indiana but Multlomah county is more liberal than Marion county where Salem is located. I think Portland is more along the lines of what you are looking for. Salem has NO culture, Portland has a night life, museums, culture, more for a couple with no children to do.

Good luck!

Old 11-21-2008, 07:05 AM

504 posts, read 2,174,933 times
If you're afraid of constant rain and gray days, I would say that further South, Sacramento, or Napa Valley would be a better bet. The further North you go, the worse the winters are going to be. In the PNW, winters can be a real downer if you aren't used to them.... very short days, and if you work a day shift, it's go to work in the dark, come home in the dark.

Sacramento has much sunnier weather. I don't know too much about the Napa Valley. SF is wonderful if you can afford to live there, but you might just be able to if you're not looking to buy a house. In general most of the West Coast is going to be more liberal than Indiana.

Portland is my favorite big city, but it's not for everyone. You might be able to move to Salem, then work for a while until you decide if you like it. It'd be much easier to find a job in Portland later on if you have a good hook into one in Salem.

Good luck.

Old 11-24-2008, 12:44 AM

77 posts, read 300,929 times
Salem won't be good, I wish it wasn't so, because it's closer to me than Portland, but the nightlife sucks and the culture is nearly nonexistant. I have a friend in Salem who commutes to Portland for the nightlife!
The Pacific Northwest is pretty rainy in the winter and is not for everyone, the trade off is that it isn't so cold. The dark days can affect your happiness, it doesn't get me down and now I sort of look forward to the hibernation period!

Old 11-24-2008, 08:37 AM

899 posts, read 2,941,175 times
Nukie
I'm a northern california (Napa-Fairfield)transplant to Salem..
Napa is very pricey, you pay for the address to live in the napa valley, they are not accepting to new comers, we saw that in 76 when retired from the navy and moved home to napa..I still feel it when I go down to see family there..Don't know anything about Sacramento.
We like salem and for that matter everything about oregon..On weather, we don't have the violent weather your use to , just rain and a bit of snow but the summers are wonderfull..
Good luck with your move.

Old 11-24-2008, 11:10 AM

114 posts, read 334,272 times
If you dislike cloudy rainy- you could look at Central Oregon. Bend has lots of outdoor activities, stores, and great weather. It does have a mild winter- so if you want an area with NO snow go to Sacramento.

Old 12-27-2008, 02:46 PM

2 posts, read 4,571 times
hello there. I would have to disagree with the "snottiness" about Lake Oswego. I moved to Lake Oswego from Northern California six months ago, and I have met the nicest people ever. Everyone makes you feel welcome. Besides, Lake Oswego still gives you a small town feel and everything is really close so you don't have to drive very long to get anywhere quickly. I love it and it is beautiful and green. If you want upscale, this is the place to be. Everything is quite reasonable. If you want to know more, please ask. Hope this helps!! =)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem