Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 09:31 AM

942 posts, read 1,382,570 times

Advertisements

When I want a good restaurant, I usually wait until I travel some place, I never found the restaurants in Salem or Oregon in general all that great. Between the smoking in the bar within the restaurant or just what one would call a real good restaurant, Oregon just doesn't have that many.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2007, 08:06 AM

1 posts, read 5,199 times
Default Thai food in Salem

I like Thai Orchid, 285 Liberty St. They also have 2 restaurants in Portland, and thier Pad Thai is the best! The Thai iced tea is good too.

Old 04-23-2007, 08:58 AM

142 posts, read 577,172 times
If you like HUGE Crab Louie or Shrimp Louie salads
for $10.95 with a warm roll, and good coffee,
(I add cream and sugar, though),

and if it is your birthday, tell them, and they will
give you a chocolate cake with ice cream on top
(big enough for two to share)..

go to the Flight Deck Restaurant at Salem Airport...

watch the small planes come and go...

and enjoy good service.

It is out on 25th past Madrona.

They serve the same menu all day til about 10 pm.

Old 06-12-2007, 06:28 PM

1 posts, read 5,160 times
Marco Polo Global Restaurant! This is one of the best things about Salem. It's on Liberty right downtown, across the street from the new Conference Center. They have a Chinese menu, a European menu, a vegetarian menu, AND a gluten-free menu. So, suffice to say they cater to people with diets and allergies. Awesome food, great staff, many of the sauces and soups are made in house in small batches. During the weekdays they serve a lunch buffet where you can try a lot of their dishes. I can't say enough great things about this restaurant, seriously.

Also I'd like to mention Off Center Cafe, Busick Court, Sassy Onion (and its sister Two Doors Down), Soba, Blue Pepper, and Casey's.

Ben J asked about a forum or such network for Salem, and one that hasn't been mentioned can be found at [moderator cut][/url]. This forum was put together by the Culture Shock Project, a national non-profit community building organization that was started right here in Salem. Good place to ask questions about Salem and what it's got to offer.

Last edited by Waterlily; 06-12-2007 at 11:08 PM..

Old 08-09-2007, 08:30 PM

1 posts, read 5,088 times
Default Regarding good restaurants in Salem.

My wife and I eat out often, in Salem and outside Oregon when we travel. Unfortunately we have found no restaurants in Salem that compare to other places we have lived and traveled. Most restaurants in Salem are chains. They have driven out most of the good independent retaurants.
The only thing we have found in Salem that is better than you find in most towns, are the curly fries at Burger Basket. Sad but true.

Old 08-09-2007, 11:39 PM

73 posts, read 233,618 times
The Off Center Cafe...I've missed it so much.

Some of the best times of my life...best people..the place nourishes more than the body and I wouldn't trade it for all the five or whatever star restaurants in Portland.

Old 08-11-2007, 09:05 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,584,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosa canina View Post
The Off Center Cafe...I've missed it so much.
Wow. Is Ruthie still running it? My wife and I used to stop in there for the bibble and squib breakfast. Ruthie and I did a food booth together at the Country Fair for a while. I don't think I have seen her in almost 20 years.

Old 08-11-2007, 09:09 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,584,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben J View Post
Speaking of Salem...anyone know of a forum for Salem...a local one affiliated with a newspaper, etc...? Thanks
Google the Statesman Journal newspaper in Salem. They have fora, though not very good ones. Most of the contributors have political axes to grind.

Old 08-12-2007, 08:33 PM

73 posts, read 233,618 times
Hi Larry,

no, Duncan is. Not sure what Ruth is up to these days--I think she might have a little place downtown.

Old 08-16-2007, 12:01 PM

3 posts, read 10,173 times
Hands down, Maverick's Bar & Grill on south commercial. Great food, great prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem