U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2007, 12:39 PM

193 posts, read 1,355,280 times

Advertisements

Hey All---My family and I will be up there the first week of April checking out some properties and visiting relatives.Though I am sure we will get some input from them on good places to eat, I thought I would ask you all who live in Salem and/or the Albany area what are the great eateries we should check out. Are there some we should not miss? One of my favorite parts of getting away from home is going out to eat so fill me in on your faves. And if I bump into you I'll treat to a cup of coffee . Thanks!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2007, 10:42 PM

64 posts, read 350,443 times
This should be good. I grew up near Salem my whole life and I believe I only found 3-4 places.

I'll start:

India Palace - Indian Food (downtown)
McMenamins - how can you live without a McMenamins?!
Macedonia Greek Cuisine - good Greek food downtown
The Ram Pub - best pub in Salem (near Willamette U)
--[note: it's a pub, but call 'em to see if kiddies are allowed]

I also remember some good seafood restaurants downtown in the south end, but can't remember what it's called. Unfortunately, that's about it...

Old 03-20-2007, 03:53 PM

Thanks Zil...I love Indian and Greek food!
A shame though that there aren't more good restaurants. Though it kinda sounds like around here where we live now....lots of chain places with faux finish decorating and boring food. Seems like the good places are the mom and pop ones. Too bad opening a restaruant isin't my thing....sounds like there might be a need for some more good ones huh?

Old 03-20-2007, 04:12 PM

64 posts, read 350,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Bthere View Post
Thanks Zil...I love Indian and Greek food!
A shame though that there aren't more good restaurants. Though it kinda sounds like around here where we live now....lots of chain places with faux finish decorating and boring food. Seems like the good places are the mom and pop ones. Too bad opening a restaruant isin't my thing....sounds like there might be a need for some more good ones huh?
Honestly, I think everyone usually just drives up to Portland (45 mins north on I-5) when they want a really good restaurant. Salem's kind of dependent upon Portland for a lot of cultural activities - and I should know, I grew up in the area!

Old 03-22-2007, 11:49 PM

1,217 posts, read 3,852,599 times
I live in Salem. My favorite restaurant is Jonathan's Oyster Bar. Some of the freshest seafood anywhere and cooked perfectly. DaVinci's has wonderful atmosphere and excellent Italian food. There's a little teriyaki place called Love Love Teriyaki in Keizer and South Salem that is dirt cheap and FANTASTIC. I eat there about four times a week! LOL

Old Europe Inn (continental) has great food as does Kyoto (sushi) and Morton's in West Salem (continental). J James is one of the best restaurants in town near downtown. The Phoenix Grand Hotel has a very classy restaurant called Bentley's that is quite good. The martinis are wonderful. There's also a little hole-in-the-wall Thai place simply called Thai Restaurant downtown that's quite good, too.

There is a better Indian restaurant on South Commercial Street and I apologize but the name escapes me now. My boss took me there a few weeks ago and I thought it was MUCH better than India Palace. There's another Italian restaurant in Keizer called Caruso's. My gang of friends and I frequent that place.

Welcome!

Old 03-24-2007, 05:48 PM

142 posts, read 551,623 times
I think the seafood restaurant is McGraths?

Red Lobster is on Lancaster, the south end
of that drive.

Mongolian Grill is on South Commercial,
near the Phoenix Inn.

(or maybe you meant the Great Wall Buffet
at 2875 Commercial)

If it is still in business, Alessandro's is
on Commercial, in the center of town,
near the Post Office.

My favorite place, though, is at the
Creekside Estates, on Sunnyside,
and it overlooks the golf course.

Old 03-24-2007, 06:18 PM

540 posts, read 2,064,301 times
As for Albany...some good choices are available:

PizzAmore (awesome pizza and more too!)
Wyatt's BrewPub (downtown)
Sybaris (a little more fancy, mediterranean food) (downtown)
Cafe Venetian (breakfast/lunch only) - also downtown

Chains include:
Red Robin
Applebees
All the various fast food

Old 03-27-2007, 06:41 PM

177 posts, read 929,101 times
Alessandro's is still here. It's on Commercial, right in the heart of downtown Salem. I know it's a "chain" but Newport Bay is right off of I-5 (exit 258) and has good seafood/steak. There is also an Olive Garden on Lancaster, close to Lancaster Mall. OOHH, and who can forget Stone Cold Creamery for a yummy ice cream treat. There is one on Center street, by the Target Store and one in Keizer in School House Square(anchor store is Roth's Grocery).

Old 03-30-2007, 02:12 PM

THANK YOU EVERYBODY for your input.

I Cut and Pasted the names of the places so I have my list ready...now the hard part is deciding which ones to go to. We leave tomarrow and like my screen name implies, I can't wait!

Peace

Old 04-06-2007, 08:03 AM

4 posts, read 22,285 times
Speaking of Salem...anyone know of a forum for Salem...a local one affiliated with a newspaper, etc...? Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem