Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 11:34 PM

4 posts, read 33,483 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am looking at moving to oregon and have been researching salem lately. I was just wondering what the weather is like (rain all the time?) and anything else you think I should know! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2009, 11:42 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,659,817 times
The weather in Salem is very similar to Portland, with a couple of exceptions. Ice storms tend to miss Salem as it is away from the Gorge, a major channel of weather that produces these conditions.

Summer can be slightly hotter, but not significant. Winters are almost exactly the same, with the exception of the ice storms (above). Rainfall is also quite similar. The area from Eugene north to Vancouver, WA has a very similar quality, the differences are slight.

Old 07-07-2009, 09:04 AM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
No it doesn't rain all of the time. I have lived in Portland and Salem. Portland because of the gorge, I guess, is more overcast and then the clouds "burn off" as the day goes on. We don't have that effect here quite as much.

It is rainy typically from November to January. We seem to get a nice weather break in February for a week or so and then it drizzles until April/Mayish. You need to understand that rain here is mostly "spitting" rain. It also rains on and off. So if it is raining in the morning you can still get sun breaks in the afternoon.

Our ice storms and snow aren't as bad as Portland's when they do occur. It snows (that sticks) about every three years, and we do get ice every year. I'd say we get an ice storm every other year or so.

Everything is green in the winter, so I think that offsets the rain personally.

Old 07-07-2009, 07:09 PM

378 posts, read 1,569,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
No it doesn't rain all of the time. I have lived in Portland and Salem. Portland because of the gorge, I guess, is more overcast and then the clouds "burn off" as the day goes on. We don't have that effect here quite as much.

It is rainy typically from November to January. We seem to get a nice weather break in February for a week or so and then it drizzles until April/Mayish. You need to understand that rain here is mostly "spitting" rain. It also rains on and off. So if it is raining in the morning you can still get sun breaks in the afternoon.

Our ice storms and snow aren't as bad as Portland's when they do occur. It snows (that sticks) about every three years, and we do get ice every year. I'd say we get an ice storm every other year or so.

Everything is green in the winter, so I think that offsets the rain personally.
I think Silverfall's assessment is accurate. I would add that it does make a difference in which way your home faces. Do not live on the north side of a hill. Our home in Salem was great in that we got lots of sun streaming in the windows in the winter, so consider that when looking for a place to live.

Old 07-10-2009, 08:06 AM

1 posts, read 20,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
Our ice storms and snow aren't as bad as Portland's when they do occur. It snows (that sticks) about every three years, and we do get ice every year.
So it doesn't snow often in the valley?

Old 07-10-2009, 08:32 AM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jemc2000 View Post
So it doesn't snow often in the valley?
We get wet snow pretty much every year, but it melts as soon as it hits the ground. Snow that sticks...about every three years or so. My son is 9 and has been able to play outside of our house in the snow three times in his life.

Old 07-10-2009, 02:58 PM

899 posts, read 2,941,350 times
We have wonderfull summer evening to be outside and do whatever gets in your way to do..A friend and I went to the Volcano's game thursday eve and only need light sweaters, yesterday eve we were sitting on our front porch till after 8 ..these evening is something we rarely had living in northern california..
I always look forward to the change of seasons too.

Old 07-10-2009, 08:46 PM

75 posts, read 241,804 times
Default good call

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonbeachlover View Post
I think Silverfall's assessment is accurate. I would add that it does make a difference in which way your home faces. Do not live on the north side of a hill. Our home in Salem was great in that we got lots of sun streaming in the windows in the winter, so consider that when looking for a place to live.

Brilliant advice, I never would even have considered that.
Thanks.

Old 06-10-2016, 02:57 PM

1 posts, read 7,932 times
Hi, I was thinking of moving to Salem Oregon and I was wondering how hot it gets. I'm in Nevada now and can't take the heat. It a dry heat.

Old 06-18-2016, 02:32 PM

5 posts, read 14,147 times
Default Summer visitor

I am definitely not an expert on Oregon, but I spent the summer of 2001 in Salem and I don't recall that it rained much at all. From 2001 until 2005 I was a full time RVer and spent summers in Oregon and Washington, and I personally loved every minute. As Silverfall noted it's more of a spitting rain. I was also impressed that it rarely thundered, (I have a problem with loud noises.) I found it interesting that even when it is an actual rain the natives don't use an umbrella. The only time I was ever in the NW during the winter was in the 70's and 80's while driving a truck cross country. Sometimes it was raining, sometimes not. Got stranded in Vancouver, WA because I-84 was closed at the Dalles because of snow. There was quite a bit of snow on the ground in Vancouver, but it was gone in two days because it started raining. Definitely not blizzard conditions like in the Midwest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem