Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2009, 10:58 AM

2 posts, read 3,804 times

Advertisements

I am considering a job in Salem and have never been to Oregon before - I have lived in Florida, Vancouver-Canada (and Whistler) as well as Toronto and London, England.

I have a couple of questions I am hoping people may be able to answer for me.

1. What is the best area to live in Salem if you are looking for nice houses, access to outdoors but also local conveniences? Money is not an issue.

2. I am an active person recently divorced - fir and 40- what types activities are there for social interaction for someone new to the area - specifically arts, recreational activities and nightlife?

3. As an avid outdoor enthusiast - canoeing, skiing, hiking and scuba diving what near by areas should I investigate?

Thanks for your help.
Luke
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2009, 11:14 AM

2 posts, read 3,804 times
Default One more thing

Oh and one more thing - what cities/towns should I consider within an acceptable commute to Salem - are Portland and Eugene considered commutable - what is the travel time by car?

Old 09-22-2009, 12:49 PM

15,578 posts, read 40,434,848 times
Bakoom Portland and Eugene are not commutable, in my opinion, but it depends on how long you want to be in your car. It takes about 45 minutes to get from South Salem to Lake Oswego. Eugene is about 60-70 minutes away.

1. South Salem is probably your best bet. Outdoors are accessed from any city in Oregon. We are surrounded by outdoor stuff. South just has easier access than West.

2. Salem does not have a great nightlife scene or arts scene. We do have those things, but compared to Portland it is just lacking. If nightlife is important to you, then I would consider living in Lake Oswego and commuting down. That way you'd be closer to Portland for a good nightlife scene.

In Salem, I would consider joining the Chemeketans Outdoor Club. I have one friend that does things with them regularly such as rock climbing and mountain climbing. They have all sorts of things going on. There are also a couple of local cycling clubs here, if you road bike.

3. We do have some scuba clubs out here, but I don't scuba so I'm not sure where is good to go. As for the other things...I like rafting down the Santiam River, which is about 30 minutes from Salem. A kayak would probably be better than a canoe on that river, but I still occasionally will see canoes. The McKenzie and Metolius are also great rivers that are about 1 1/2 hours away.

The closest skiing is Mt. Bachelor area in central Oregon. There is Hoo Doo in sisters, the Three Sisters, and Mt. Bachelor. There are some great cross country runs and snow shoeing out there as well.

For hiking...I prefer to hike in the valley areas because I find Central Oregon too dry. Close by hiking we have Silverfalls State Park. It's like 30 minutes away. Then there is Opal Creek area, Bull of the Woods, Chimney Peak...there is a bunch of good hiking in the Mt. Jefferson (most locals call the mountain Jeff) Wilderness. If you want to do more of a weekend getaway, there is some great hiking in the Mt. Hood Wilderness. Trillium Lake, the hike to Paradise are really great.

Then...on the coast Cascade Head has some nice views. There was also a trail I loved in Manzanita that had a breathtaking view at the top. The name of the trail is escaping me at this point though...

So...I would focus less on access to outdoors (because you are surrounded by it) and focus more on your daily lifestyle and that will help to determine where you live.

Old 09-23-2009, 01:31 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,931,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
Then...on the coast Cascade Head has some nice views. There was also a trail I loved in Manzanita that had a breathtaking view at the top. The name of the trail is escaping me at this point though...
Love Manaznita beach, but the Cape Lookout Trail south of Tillamook... ...!!! I just can't imagine Manzanita having anything more breathtaking than that.

H
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem