Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 11:46 PM

134 posts, read 632,275 times

Advertisements

Dear Oregonians:

I would like to hear your honest opinions on the town of Woodburn, Oregon.

It seems appealing to me because it's between all places I need to go. If I decide to move to Oregon, my graduate school would be Western Oregon University in Monmouth near Salem. I am more likely to have a job in either Salem or in outer surburbs of Portland. Woodburn seems to be in the middle of it all for me since I don't mind commuting. Of course, I could consider living in Salem but it's not close to Portland for both city life and single scene. I am looking to rent a nice apartment in a safe area and it doesn't have to be fancy at all.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2009, 12:32 AM

6,266 posts, read 19,118,467 times
it's not my cup of tea. I go there to the Super Walmart but that's all I care to do there.

Old 09-28-2009, 01:01 AM

1,312 posts, read 6,449,654 times
How's your Spanish?

Old 09-28-2009, 01:15 AM

134 posts, read 632,275 times
I see that Woodburn isn't receiving positive comments. No, I am not fluent in Spanish. That sounds like Woodburn is full of immigrants from Mexico working out in the fertile fields. Am I right?

Any sugguestions for good cities to live that happens to be in the center of Monmouth (college town), Salem, and Portland near I-5?

Old 09-28-2009, 01:56 AM

6,266 posts, read 19,118,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchArk87 View Post
I see that Woodburn isn't receiving positive comments. No, I am not fluent in Spanish. That sounds like Woodburn is full of immigrants from Mexico working out in the fertile fields. Am I right?

Any sugguestions for good cities to live that happens to be in the center of Monmouth (college town), Salem, and Portland near I-5?
I love Newberg.

Old 09-28-2009, 09:47 AM

15,496 posts, read 40,201,810 times
Wilsonville is closer to Portland, but that would work too.

Old 09-28-2009, 10:19 AM

9,491 posts, read 16,384,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchArk87 View Post

Yes Woodburn has a very large Immigrant population. Maybe Newberg or Wilsonville would work for you. I-5 doesn't pass thru those communities but it is not a long drive to reach the fwy. They are both just west of the Tigard area. I think they both would be a better area for you than Woodburn.

Old 09-28-2009, 07:20 PM

398 posts, read 1,313,113 times
I'm also going to have to vote a big fat "NO" on Woodburn. They only time I ever go there when I'm in Oregon is to go shopping at the outlet mall. The others mentioned Newberg & Wilsonville - both nice towns. Also - don't forget McMinnville! Silverton is very nice too. Those would all be easy commutes to Monmouth & Salem but kind of far to drive to Portland daily, in my opinion. But I know people who live in Salem and commute to Portland daily - so each to his/her own!

Old 09-28-2009, 07:58 PM

15,496 posts, read 40,201,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malachai23 View Post
I'm also going to have to vote a big fat "NO" on Woodburn. They only time I ever go there when I'm in Oregon is to go shopping at the outlet mall. The others mentioned Newberg & Wilsonville - both nice towns. Also - don't forget McMinnville! Silverton is very nice too. Those would all be easy commutes to Monmouth & Salem but kind of far to drive to Portland daily, in my opinion. But I know people who live in Salem and commute to Portland daily - so each to his/her own!

Usually the Salem commuters live in Northern Keizer in Clear Lake to cut down on the travel time. That would be an option too.

Old 09-28-2009, 08:24 PM

9,491 posts, read 16,384,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Yes Woodburn has a very large Immigrant population. Maybe Newberg or Wilsonville would work for you. I-5 doesn't pass thru those communities but it is not a long drive to reach the fwy. They are both just west of the Tigard area. I think they both would be a better area for you than Woodburn.

Actually I meant to say McMinnville not Wilsonville is west of I-5
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem