Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 06:49 PM

15,577 posts, read 40,430,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcdavitt View Post
Thank you, everyone, for the responses. Silverton is starting to sound better all the time. One of my daughters who lives in the San Francisco Bay Area responded, when I mentioned that the mayor was transgender, "Oh Mom, you SOOOOO have to move there" LOL

Has anyone had personall experience with a local Realtor whom they would recommend?
Um...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2009, 03:28 PM

758 posts, read 2,371,674 times
"Really interesting how many people from Sac relocate to Salem. I am hoping this means that it is possible to get a comparable government job from one state to another."

Depends what you mean by comparable. Oregon pays quite a bit less - but then housing USED TO be cheaper (I don't think that's still the case).

Old 01-24-2010, 08:20 PM

1 posts, read 3,663 times
HI,
I find it interesting that a real estate agent in Salem is sharing information about our little town.
I have lived here six years and work for a real estate office. Class sizes in Silverton are pretty small compared to the large cities and most elementary classrooms have teachers aide with lots of parent participation. Silverton has a brand new high school finished this year which offers a great agricultural department, theater and technology. You have your choice of the small in town schools or the small country schools that have k-8 grade, Silverton has seven of those schools.
Yes, our mayor is transgender. Now that the media has finally left our small town alone,we can get back to business. Most folks who live here don't see him that much unless he is at the city council meeting or drinking coffee at the local coffee house. If I was going to explain to someone why my family moved here, the last thing I would mention is our mayor. There is so much more.
Silverton has great opportunities to volunteer with many non-profit organizations like the Rotary, Lions Club, Elks, Homerdavenport committee ( our yearly festival),schools, library, hospital, senior center ( new one being built right now), lots of different sports organizations and Chamber of Commerce. I would suggest in put in google-Silverton Chamber of Commerce email Stacey Palmer, she will send you information in the mail.

Old 01-24-2010, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertonresident View Post
HI,
I find it interesting that a real estate agent in Salem is sharing information about our little town.

Why do you find that interesting? I've helped folks buy and sell in Silverton and have spent time in the city. In fact I loved Silverton hospital over Salem and elected to have my kids there.

I think Silverton is a great small town and suggest it to folks if it sounds like a good fit for them.

Old 01-26-2010, 11:53 AM

1,181 posts, read 3,807,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertonresident View Post
HI,
Not sure why that seems interesting to you? Since she's been on here helping people for around 3 years I'd say she has a lot of very grateful people who are happy for her continued help on this forum.

Silverton is an awesome town. I grew up in nearby Molalla, and always loved going there. Oregon Gardens are just about my favorite place ever, and my 11 year old daughter loves it too. We spend hours walking around there when we visit. Definitely top of my list when I finally get to move back home. Can't be soon enough.

Old 01-29-2010, 10:20 PM

899 posts, read 2,942,532 times
Hi
I live in Salem but spend my spare time volunteering out oregon garden and love silverton..I'm the first to tell people to check it out..The people who live there love it..
It such a neat pretty little town with it herd of blacktail deer how cool is that.
Later

Old 02-08-2010, 05:54 PM

5 posts, read 16,882 times
Default Waldorf school

There is a Waldorf school in Corvallis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
The schools have a fairly solid reputation, but they did start to bulge and class sizes grow during the boom. The only Waldorf school is in Eugene, I think.

The only arts focused school in our area is the Howard Street Charter School in Salem that I am aware of anyway. That doesn't mean that you can't tap into art programs. The Salem Art Association has incredible art camps for kids. They are taught my real local artists who are just incredible. I think Salem has a great art scene for such a small town. We have some wonderful local talent here. Silverton has an art festival in addition to the Salem Art Festival.

As for home schooling, there is a fairly decent sized home school group in Silverton. We also have the Oregon Connections Academy, which is technically a public charter school, but it is an online home school. They have regular field trips and they provide you with the curriculum for each grade.

From Silverton to downtown Salem (where most of the state jobs are) is about 25 minutes depending on traffic and what lights you hit. If he worked at the Public Works office, it would be about a 10 minute commute since that is on Silverton Road.

Corvallis on the other hand would be about 45-50 minutes to get to downtown Salem from where most of the houses are in Corvallis (on the west side). Silverton would be a shorter commute by far.

Old 02-09-2010, 10:35 AM

97 posts, read 120,569 times
I grew up near Silverton, and live a few miles outside of town now. It is a great little town with a big spectrum of "culture" if you can call it that.

Some great little restaraunts, grocery stores, art shops, and people. (all can be found elsewhere too) In my eyes, Silverton is a typical small west coast town in a pretty cool geographic location. Some are attracted to it because it is quaint, some because it is a farming community town, some because of its art community,some for the garden, some for the drugs, some for the mayor, but most people just grew up there and call it home.

Silverton's proximity to Salem and Portland make it a great bedroom community. The housing prices are typically higher than the surrounding towns, but not too much.

Old 02-09-2010, 10:55 AM

963 posts, read 3,033,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
Why do you find that interesting? I've helped folks buy and sell in Silverton and have spent time in the city. In fact I loved Silverton hospital over Salem and elected to have my kids there.

I think Silverton is a great small town and suggest it to folks if it sounds like a good fit for them.
I think by "interesting," the poster was implying potential conflict of interest. Most residents in most professions are not in a position to reap a personal income benefit from someone making the decision to move to their community. Thus, they have no vested interest in steering them into the community they live in or work in as opposed to another. Realtors are a bit different in that respect as any newcomer to their service district is a potential customer. In such a case, one has to consider the POV neutrality behind such a poster's assessment of the town.

Old 02-09-2010, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda-by-the-sea View Post
I think by "interesting," the poster was implying potential conflict of interest. Most residents in most professions are not in a position to reap a personal income benefit from someone making the decision to move to their community. Thus, they have no vested interest in steering them into the community they live in or work in as opposed to another. Realtors are a bit different in that respect as any newcomer to their service district is a potential customer. In such a case, one has to consider the POV neutrality behind such a poster's assessment of the town.

I can see why you might think that, but if an owner of a local restaurant was on here talking about the area is that a conflict of interest? Clearly someone who moves here might visit their restaurant and they might profit from that. If that is the case then any local business owner shouldn't be allowed to participate on here because someone who relocates to that city might use their services and they would profit.

I think Silvertonresident was upset because I mentioned that Stu was transgender and that is an issue that Silverton residents are really tired of dealing with. I think Silverton residents want Silverton to be about Silverton again, not Stu. BUT if I was a parent relocating to Silverton, I would want to know about this because I would need to decide if that is a subject I am comfortable talking about with my kids. The impression I got was that Silvertonresident felt I had no business talking about Silverton because I don't live there.

Anyway...that's why it says Real Estate Agent under my name. That way people can decide if they want to value my opinion or not. On a side note, I'm just a real estate agent and NOT a REALTOR. I don't belong to the NAR, which is what makes a real estate agent a REALTOR.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem