U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-24-2010, 01:54 PM
 
53 posts, read 133,603 times
Reputation: 38

Advertisements

Hello all. I'd like to rent a 2 bedroom house, townhome, or duplex with yard in a safe area as I am a senior lady alone with my pets. I am on a fixed retirement income that is moderate. I am needing input as to which area would have less expensive rentals, Eugene area, or Salem area. As well, wondering about rents in Corvallis. I am looking for a place that is no larger than Eugene, and no smaller than about 40000, with public transport. Thanks for your input.
natalie456
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-07-2010, 01:57 PM
 
8 posts, read 13,475 times
Reputation: 19
Hi Natalie! Wish I had an answer for you, but I am in the same situation, senior with pets, needing to rent a house with a yard... I see no one has replied, which makes me wonder if it is so difficult...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2010, 03:16 PM
 
Location: Gilbert, AZ
139 posts, read 496,000 times
Reputation: 82
I was just in the areas you mention looking for a rental (and finally giving up.)
Definitely, I would say Salem is the cheapest. The problem I found with apartments was that they tended to be on busy streets or in less than desirable locations. I didn't look much at houses, but I did see some listed at a good price (for Oregon.)
I personally much prefer Corvallis to Eugene, but I was disappointed in the choice of rentals there. My major problem with Oregon is that, in order to rent a pleasant safe place, you pay a lot.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2010, 01:53 AM
 
857 posts, read 1,521,804 times
Reputation: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORexpat View Post
I personally much prefer Corvallis to Eugene, but I was disappointed in the choice of rentals there. My major problem with Oregon is that, in order to rent a pleasant safe place, you pay a lot.
Why were you dissapointed with the rentals in Corvallis, and could you elaborate on why specifically it's difficult to find a pleasant, safe place for cheap in Oregon?

I've noticed the same thing. It seems that anything under $1000 is an old, run down apartment, moldy basement, or bad part of town.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2010, 11:13 PM
 
Location: Gilbert, AZ
139 posts, read 496,000 times
Reputation: 82
Sorry I didn't see your post earlier,CCCVDUR.
My problem with western Oregon, and this includes Corvallis, is that it seems, due to Oregon's land use laws, that apartments are crammed into bits of land here and there, or along busy streets. In order to get a decent apartment or house you have to pay more than you would in other areas.
In McMinnville I looked at a small house for $700. It was right adjacent to the railroad tracks, on a muddy, unpaved road, with almost no land, and an absolute dump. In Monmouth there were lots of nice old Victorian houses crumbling away while new look alike housing is being built on the outskirts.
I have lived 46 years of my life in Oregon and it has always been difficult to find housing there.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2010, 04:23 AM
 
857 posts, read 1,521,804 times
Reputation: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORexpat View Post
Sorry I didn't see your post earlier,CCCVDUR.
My problem with western Oregon, and this includes Corvallis, is that it seems, due to Oregon's land use laws, that apartments are crammed into bits of land here and there, or along busy streets. In order to get a decent apartment or house you have to pay more than you would in other areas.
In McMinnville I looked at a small house for $700. It was right adjacent to the railroad tracks, on a muddy, unpaved road, with almost no land, and an absolute dump. In Monmouth there were lots of nice old Victorian houses crumbling away while new look alike housing is being built on the outskirts.
I have lived 46 years of my life in Oregon and it has always been difficult to find housing there.
Arizona (your profile states Gilbert, AZ near Phoenix) has similar land use laws, and I had to rent on the periphery of Phoenix to be near open space. Ashland, OR also has the same land use laws, however, rents are cheaper than Eugene on Craigs List, and Talent is even cheaper. Suncrest Homes, a major developer in Ashland-Talent builds small smart growth homes and townhomes, including the forthcoming Mixed Use *Clearview of Talent* I am no expert in the real estate there, however, why has Eugene become more expensive than Ashland-Talent and also Corvallis? ^
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2010, 10:30 AM
 
1,592 posts, read 3,141,346 times
Reputation: 2146
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCVDUR View Post
why has Eugene become more expensive than Ashland-Talent and also Corvallis? ^
Wrong.

Ashland Cost of Living: 114.4
Estimated median house or condo value in 2008: $399,129

Corvallis Cost of Living: 94.8
Estimated median house or condo value in 2008: $262,293

Eugene Cost of Living: 97.6
Estimated median house or condo value in 2008: $260,200


From city-data.com
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2010, 02:40 AM
 
857 posts, read 1,521,804 times
Reputation: 186
Default Explanation Of BLS Cost Of Living: Eugene, Bend, Corvallis, Ashland

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1208 View Post
Wrong.

Ashland Cost of Living: 114.4
Estimated median house or condo value in 2008: $399,129

Corvallis Cost of Living: 94.8
Estimated median house or condo value in 2008: $262,293

Eugene Cost of Living: 97.6
Estimated median house or condo value in 2008: $260,200


From city-data.com
the cost of living was relative to a single person seeking to rent an apartment, duplex, or house, as the OP is asking about

check craigs list to verify that apartment, duplex, and house rentals are cheaper in corvallis, ashland, and bend ... versus eugene

the figures you quote from city-data are from the US bls (bureau of labor statistics) and they include gas, food, and other costs. I'm just talking about rent - alone - for one bedroom apartments for singles and couples.

ashland values would be skewed high anyway since there are no cheap groceries in town - the townspeople and their elected represented apparently favor independent businesses - the superwallmart and costco, etc. are 10 miles away in medford - just as in corvallis people drive 12 miles to the costco and wallmart in albany (is that correct, beavers?)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-22-2010, 04:59 PM
 
Location: Gilbert, AZ
139 posts, read 496,000 times
Reputation: 82
In general I find university towns to be expensive. I am sure that I would be able to find a cheaper apartment or house in Ashland and SW Oregon in general than in Eugene. I think it may be because it is farther from Portland. I was in Medford a year ago, where I had seen quite inexpensive rental houses listed, but I found there were a lot of junkers. I think maybe the junkers in Eugene have been cleared out. I have at times seen relatively cheap properties around Ashland, and I never find them around Eugene or Corvallis.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-22-2010, 11:49 PM
 
857 posts, read 1,521,804 times
Reputation: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORexpat View Post
In general I find university towns to be expensive. I am sure that I would be able to find a cheaper apartment or house in Ashland and SW Oregon in general than in Eugene. I think it may be because it is farther from Portland. I was in Medford a year ago, where I had seen quite inexpensive rental houses listed, but I found there were a lot of junkers. I think maybe the junkers in Eugene have been cleared out. I have at times seen relatively cheap properties around Ashland, and I never find them around Eugene or Corvallis.
Ashland has Southern Oregon University, nevertheless, it's a bargain for renters (that is, singles or couples with a child or maybe two small children), along with nearby up-and-coming Talent.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top