U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2010, 10:35 PM

146 posts, read 841,235 times

Advertisements

We are taking a vacation and want to be in the Salt Lake City area for a couple of days. I have a couple of questions.

1) What is there for families to do in the Salt Lake area (us and our 8, 5, and 3 year olds)?

2) Is it safe to stay in downtonw Salt Lake City, or would we be better off to stay in a suburb? If a suburb, what are some good ones?

3) Any recommendations for moderately priced hotels?

4) We'd also like to see Provo and Ogden. Where would be a good place to stay that would be centrally located to Provo, Ogden and SLC? (We will be coming from Idaho Falls)

Thank you!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 10:47 PM

19,856 posts, read 62,821,753 times
What time of year?

Downtown is perfectly safe, although some areas are a bit seedy at night.

There is a children's museum, the Gateway has a wonderful outdoor fountain set to music that kids and people run through, an IMAX at the Gateway, Temple Sq is beautiful to walk through. They might enjoy a ride on TRAX, go to the art museum up at the U, and there are lots of parks with playgrounds.

Old 06-09-2010, 10:49 PM

It's actually for later this month - so we won't be there when it is snowy (although I am guessing it will be pretty hot).
Can you tell me what areas are seedy at night so that I can avoid them please? Thank you!

Last edited by wcaamyg; 06-09-2010 at 10:55 PM.. Reason: More info

Old 06-10-2010, 09:27 AM

139 posts, read 474,026 times
You can hit Park City in about 25 minutes from downtown...lots of cool shops, alpine slide, and other mountain activities....Snowbird Ski Resort (about 25 minutes from downtown) also has good summer activities for kids...zip lines, alpine slides, hikes, tram rides...etc.... Silver Lake near Brighton Ski Resort (20 minutes from downtown) is a great nature hike...easy with little kids.

SLC proper has Hogle Zoo, Red Butte Gardens (both are near the U of U), museum of natural history at the U of Utah is cool for kids (lots of dinosaur stuff), there's a children's discovery/science center at the Gateway Plaza downtown.

Lagoon is a decent amusement park about 30 minutes north of SLC...easy way to spend a day.

Personally, I'd put Park City on the top of the list as well as the local ski resorts as they have lots of cool summer activities. And the views are spectacular!

Old 06-10-2010, 09:39 AM

835 posts, read 1,971,562 times
Snowbird should have the summer activities up and going by then, Red Butte Gardens is good for half a day-the early half may be better if it is hot by then and when my kid was younger, we went to Cherry Hill,, alot. Check out the web for more Cherry Hill stuff, putt putt, batting cages etc. Kennecott Copper mine is a favorite also.
Little America in downtown gets my vote for lodging-although some on this forum do not care for the owners business model-we like it the facility itself .Huge rooms, 2 pools, decent restaurant, and right on a trax stop. We walk all over downtown when we stay there and have not been creeped out-even at night!

Old 06-11-2010, 02:44 PM

Thanks everyone
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area