Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 11:11 AM

2 posts, read 3,560 times

Advertisements

We live in Riverside. I have never seen rent that high? Where are you living? Good luck finding employment out of state. I have many friends that live all over the US. If you are a newcomer especially from CA you are going to have a difficult time. Most states prefer to hire their own or if you know someone-communities are tight. I have lived in other states and the grass is always greener. But their is crime and downsides to all areas. There is no Utopia and most states really don't want Californian's moving in. Texas maybe your best bet for jobs. My son is in Austin right now and he said its booming. I think that may be your best bet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2011, 11:25 AM

2 posts, read 3,560 times
I don't mean to discourage you from moving I just learned from my own realty check that it is difficult to move into a new state especially if you are from CA. We are stereotyped in other states-I have experienced it. Plus, when you have kids it is hard to uproot them from their established friends-that is important. When my kids were little a job transfer forced us out of state for a while and it was hard for the kids. I would say if you can just stay for the kids sake so they can be with their friends. I have seen cheaper places to live in Riverside. I don't know where you are looking but there are several areas cheaper than what you are paying. Lots of foreclosurers and high rate of unemployment but that is unfortunately everywhere right now. I would get a firm job offer before i ventured out as a newbie in another state. Just my two cents.

Old 07-02-2011, 11:09 PM

973 posts, read 2,134,155 times
I have many friends who moved from Cali to Utah. No problems that I know of.

Old 07-03-2011, 03:47 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,424,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverside neighbor View Post
I don't mean to discourage you from moving I just learned from my own realty check that it is difficult to move into a new state especially if you are from CA. We are stereotyped in other states-I have experienced it. Plus, when you have kids it is hard to uproot them from their established friends-that is important. When my kids were little a job transfer forced us out of state for a while and it was hard for the kids. I would say if you can just stay for the kids sake so they can be with their friends. I have seen cheaper places to live in Riverside. I don't know where you are looking but there are several areas cheaper than what you are paying. Lots of foreclosurers and high rate of unemployment but that is unfortunately everywhere right now. I would get a firm job offer before i ventured out as a newbie in another state. Just my two cents.
My spouse and I left Los Angeles 21 years ago - specifically because the only place at the time we could afford - would have been Riverside. And the thought of commuting 2-3 hours a day - just to be able to afford a life there - was more than we could handle.

I've been employed here for all of those 21 years. No problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area